• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My Voodoo Elkheart

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Pictures doesn't do it justice folks. I need some better close up for you all. I'm thinking of simply calling it the 'Elk'. This is a combo of Javaman Elkheart ILF limbs and the only known Left Hand Voodoo Kustom ILF riser (I checked, there was one other made but it was defected and broke). I made the leather grip myself!

56AMO
42lbs @28in
Myrtle Burl veneers.

Right now I'm running it as 38lbs for 3D fun with 450 grains speedsters, but will dial it up to 42lbs using 575 grains heavy hitter once whitetail season is here.

So far my favorite bow with how smooth it is and it like heavy arrows. Javaman kept me updated on the whole process.

1715086523201.png
1715086550177.png
1715086571826.png
1715086592354.png
1715086641769.png
1715086734120.png
1715086776478.png

Nice bow! Those risers are really cool and unique.
Had to sell a bunch of stuffs and traded one of my saddle for it. But I think its was worth it. Don't get me wrong folks, a $90 black hunter can out shoot my ability and this work of art is not going to make me a better bowman. But its my hobby money and I enjoy uniqueness at this stage of life. Read too many posts on the leatherwall of regrets about people missing on a bow they wanted or selling a bow they shouldn't. So as long as I'm able, I'm going to enjoy my first world problem of having too many bows. Pretty sure its more expensive and more addicting then cigarettes, AND wife probably nag me just as much if I was smoking, but I'm having fun.

Had to sell a bunch of stuffs and traded one of my saddle for it. But I think its was worth it. Don't get me wrong folks, a $90 black hunter can out shoot my ability and this work of art is not going to make me a better bowman. But its my hobby money and I enjoy uniqueness at this stage of life. Read too many posts on the leatherwall of regrets about people missing on a bow they wanted or selling a bow they shouldn't. So as long as I'm able, I'm going to enjoy my first world problem of having too many bows. Pretty sure its more expensive and more addicting then cigarettes, AND wife probably nag me just as much if I was smoking, but I'm having fun.

No explanation needed. I just ordered material to build two new bows and you've seen pictures of my bow rack.

Just tell your wife what I tell mine. I need to make sure I have a bow to hand down to every grand kid that I'll have in the future and since I don't know how many kids that'll be I need to be prepared with lots of bows.

As many kids as you have you should stockpile at least 25-30 bows over the next decade or two. :)

No explanation needed. I just ordered material to build two new bows and you've seen pictures of my bow rack.

Just tell your wife what I tell mine. I need to make sure I have a bow to hand down to every grand kid that I'll have in the future and since I don't know how many kids that'll be I need to be prepared with lots of bows.

As many kids as you have you should stockpile at least 25-30 bows over the next decade or two. :)
Your dad built some beautiful recurves, how come he never had an interested in some longbows? Staying faithful to Mr. Fedora legacy?

Your dad built some beautiful recurves, how come he never had an interested in some longbows?

He's tossed around the idea of building a form for longbow limbs and building a TD longbow, just hasn't done it yet. Space limitations in his shop would make it difficult to build any one piece bows, longbow or recurve.

He's tossed around the idea of building a form for longbow limbs and building a TD longbow, just hasn't done it yet. Space limitations in his shop would make it difficult to build any one piece bows, longbow or recurve.
What's the planned layout? Going veneers or a good laminate with some clear glass? I recently learned that light woods still changes color even after being under clear glass due to light exposure. Osage suppose to be really cool like this, wonder if myrtle also changes color.

What's the planned layout? Going veneers or a good laminate with some clear glass? I recently learned that light woods still changes color even after being under clear glass due to light exposure. Osage suppose to be really cool like this, wonder if myrtle also changes color.

The riser will be a combination of B&W Ebony and black Diamondwood. The limbs will have a bamboo core with black and white ebony veneers on the belly and a cross weave carbon visible on the back of the limbs.

I know there are several woods that change color slightly as they age and are exposed to light. Osage is the wood that's known to have the biggest color change though. The change in the article you linked is more than typical I believe. The bow in this pic is Osage and is over 20 years old. https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-bow-kills-2022-2023-season.47914/post-663853

Here's a recent Osage bow Dad built to show the color its starts out at.

Attachments

• IMG_3627.JPEG
    IMG_3627.JPEG
    296.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3628.JPEG
    IMG_3628.JPEG
    284.3 KB · Views: 15

Here’s another 25 yr old Osage bow. It’s a little darker than I remembered. It’s approaching the color of the one in the article you linked.

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    804.3 KB · Views: 12
Back