• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1 Stick Aider Question

Shapeshifter

SH Member
I'm not a sticker but I'm contemplating it for next season. My question is if you prefer a 2 step or 3 step aider for 1 sticking, and why? Seems to me just from some of the videos I have watched that the only benefit you get from the 3 step is on your first move. Second and third and so forth you are limited by the ability to get your tether high enough to be able to use the 3 step. Am I right in making this assumption or am I missing something. Is it worth spending the extra money for that 3 step for just in case purposes?

I'm not a sticker but I'm contemplating it for next season. My question is if you prefer a 2 step or 3 step aider for 1 sticking, and why? Seems to me just from some of the videos I have watched that the only benefit you get from the 3 step is on your first move. Second and third and so forth you are limited by the ability to get your tether high enough to be able to use the 3 step. Am I right in making this assumption or am I missing something. Is it worth spending the extra money for that 3 step for just in case purposes?
You totally got it. 3-4 steps is awesome for the first move, but totally pointless after. I went with 2 and don't regret it. less to bundle up when you're cleaning up as well.

IMO three steps does three things: Gets you higher on first move. Let’s you go with shorter step spacing and still get better height than a two step. Even if you get no extra height after 1st move, on successive moves that third step will be right by your foot, easy to get your foot into, which gets the aider off the tree, making it easier to hit step 2 and 1.

Personally, I don’t put my stick under my tether, I put it up near the girth hitch. My third step on my 3 step 15” aider is at my knee after I set my stick. So I get height out of my third step on every move. I just ordered a 4th step so it will be by my foot and will be easy to get into for the reasons mentioned above. Your call. Good Luck.

I have 3 15" steps and really like it. I have gotten into situations during the climb where it is very nice to have the bottom step easily accessible. It does not add that much weight and helps when climbing with cold weather layers.

Last edited:
You are on the right track.

third step is great for the first move. After that I usually only use two steps, but occasionally will use the third depending on the tree lean and my clothing.

IMO three steps does three things: Gets you higher on first move. Let’s you go with shorter step spacing and still get better height than a two step. Even if you get no extra height after 1st move, on successive moves that third step will be right by your foot, easy to get your foot into, which gets the aider off the tree, making it easier to hit step 2 and 1.

Personally, I don’t put my stick under my tether, I put it up near the girth hitch. My third step on my 3 step 15” aider is at my knee after I set my stick. So I get height out of my third step on every move. I just ordered a 4th step so it will be by my foot and will be easy to get into for the reasons mentioned above. Your call. Good Luck.
Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about that. I will definitely consider that.

This a kind of a piggyback aider question. Have any of you guys ever had any deer notice or get spooked by your aider when you are at hunting height with your 1 stick?

This a kind of a piggyback aider question. Have any of you guys ever had any deer notice or get spooked by your aider when you are at hunting height with your 1 stick?
And to follow up on your question. Any aider in any situ would seem to blow around in a good breeze. Always curious about this.

And to follow up on your question. Any aider in any situ would seem to blow around in a good breeze. Always curious about this.
Yep! Did. My first practice 1 stick climb yesterday. Went pretty well. I can dig it, but as i was up at hunting height I could see my aider really flapping around. Don't know if this would cause the deer any concern as I'm sure they are probably use to seeing things blowing around on windy days.

Yep! Did. My first practice 1 stick climb yesterday. Went pretty well. I can dig it, but as i was up at hunting height I could see my aider really flapping around. Don't know if this would cause the deer any concern as I'm sure they are probably use to seeing things blowing around on windy days.
If you're that concerned. You can hook your aider with your feet on the last movement. Then just loop the whole aider around the tree or stick a few times. I trap the end of the aider between the tree and my gear hanger on the other side so its away from me.

But 3 steps for me. This is because I dont always put the stick between me and the tree, I would put it to the side right under the tender, and the 3rd step is perfectly position to accept my foot without needing to stretch it up, I step down on it.

If you're that concerned. You can hook your aider with your feet on the last movement. Then just loop the whole aider around the tree or stick a few times. I trap the end of the aider between the tree and my gear hanger on the other side so its away from me.

But 3 steps for me. This is because I dont always put the stick between me and the tree, I would put it to the side right under the tender, and the 3rd step is perfectly position to accept my foot without needing to stretch it up, I step down on it.
Hooking the aider with foot sounds like a good idea. Probably better then attaching a piece of paracord to and bringing up once you are settled in. One less thing to get tangled.

I had zero issues with 2, but I can see the appeal of going to 3.

Attachments

• 789539F7-1D41-47BC-98AE-A2C698E15A03.jpeg
    789539F7-1D41-47BC-98AE-A2C698E15A03.jpeg
    709.1 KB · Views: 12
No I haven’t. All kinds of things blowing around like an aider would, limbs, vines, etc. My biggest concern would be my scent on the aider blowing around, but just securing it isn’t going to stop that. Not saying it can’t happen, but in general by the time that happens he either has an arrow in him or I’ve decided not to shoot him so I’m not overly concerned about it at that point.

Back