• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1 stickn hardware

AntlerAddict76

If i wanted to use a different piece of hardware (other than my safeguard) to rappel like a Black Diamond Guide atc or figure 8, could i then use an ascender (RM1/Kong/CT) for climbing up?

End of last season i had a couple rappels with the safeguard that were just rough. Really hard to initiate the rope sliding through device is what it felt like. Anyway, just looking for a consistently smoother rappel.

Any tips or tweaks that anybody has for the safeguard would be cool too!
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What diameter rope are you using?
I would suggest trying to control your defend with your off hand. You can either hand the rope to your safeguard, closing lever when reaching back to hip for more slack or just use friction from your hand by gripping the tag end of the rope more or less to control speed.

I use an 11' tether with a sewn eye and kong duck to climb, I descend with a black diamond figure 8. I use 2 separate ropes to climb/hunt and reppel.

Yes you can. Run prussic below the 8, clipped with a locking biner to your linemans loop on the downhill side.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

What diameter rope are you using?
I would suggest trying to control your defend with your off hand. You can either hand the rope to your safeguard, closing lever when reaching back to hip for more slack or just use friction from your hand by gripping the tag end of the rope more or less to control speed.

Canyon c iv 9mm

I have the same with the mad rock safeguard jerky coming down now this is my first year doing it but I started with the birdie way smoother but it didn’t grab or hold as fast so it would freak me out that’s why I went to the mad rock

I have the same with the mad rock safeguard jerky coming down now this is my first year doing it but I started with the birdie way smoother but it didn’t grab or hold as fast so it would freak me out that’s why I went to the mad rock

Gotta control your descent with the tag end.

Gotta control your descent with the tag end.

So its like having one hand on the madrock lever, the other the tag end. The tag end or brake hand you then feed upward towards safeguard to initiate and pace the rappel.

Back