• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

10 years . . . TEN whole years!

Freepistol

I could have been saddle hunting at least ten years ago! I didn’t learn about it until November.
I’ve been frustrated with climbing tree stands for years. Too heavy for an old bastard to climb the mountains with one on my back, trees too small, trees too big, trees with too many limbs. I was frustrated all that time and knew nothing of saddle hunting and was too stupid to invent it on my own.
I’ll be 66 this fall and can’t wait to get in those “perfect” trees! I’m gratful that all the information I needed was on this forum and in YouTube videos.
Thank you!

Last edited:
I have a good friend i grew up with that works in the rope access industry. About 10 years ago I got him into hunting. After seeing some of my tree stand setups, he suggested we use his harnesses from work, with ropes and ascenders/descenders to hunt out of the tree like that.

I remember looking straight at him and saying “ there’s no way in hell im doing that!”

Lol, here I am doing basically exactly what he suggested only I haven’t told him yet haha. He’s moved away and I haven’t seen him since I’ve started this saddle thing, but the next time we talk I’m sure he’s gonna laugh at me for not trying it years ago.

Welcome. You can definitely open up tree selection to just about all of them. That doesn’t mean every tree you pick will be comfortable to hang from. A tree with too much lean is my nemesis and I seem to end up in them way more than I would like at least once a season. You could have been hunting from a saddle 30 years ago.

Welcome aboard. I think a lot of us were hunting this style years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back