• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

17/20/22 Shikar Stick Length

I think you can order them any length you want. I’d personally go with 20”.
My current DIY sticks are 23” but I’m getting older and my knees don’t like the big steps anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with 17” cuz I ordered before the other options were available. I would go with 20” if I could do it over.

I'm 5'10" and am thinking the 20" may be the way to go. I have the Beast sticks now and the step spacing isn't an issue now but it may become one some day.

17” would be more comfortable for me I’m sure, but I’m still nimble enough to make 20” work and I know I can hit 15’ with an aider and 3 sticks.

I went with 17 because i plan on only one sticking and never use the top step....the spacing could have been 6in for me.

17. The stick is just the attachment point for my carry as I climb aider. The aider is the main climbing equipment in the way I have my system set up. I haven't experimented enough to know the minimum length of sticks needed to still be stable. Smaller/shorter is easier to pack

Last edited:
I've been thinking 20" and make an aider for each stick. Love the design of these sticks, but I might wait until hawk starts selling their mini sticks. A cheaper option and they look to pack nicely. I can't make myself modify the full length set I have, so I might sell to fund the minis.

I'm unsure at this point, but leaning toward 17". My main reason is when they are packed down, they are still 27" and packability is my main reason for switching from full length lone wolf sticks. Any longer step to step and they will be just as long as my LW when packed. The difference between 17" and 20" over four sticks is only a foot in climbing height. I think I can easily make up for that by spacing my sticks further apart up the tree, including a branch to step on during my climb or using aiders.

I'm unsure at this point, but leaning toward 17". My main reason is when they are packed down, they are still 27" and packability is my main reason for switching from full length lone wolf sticks. Any longer step to step and they will be just as long as my LW when packed. The difference between 17" and 20" over four sticks is only a foot in climbing height. I think I can easily make up for that by spacing my sticks further apart up the tree, including a branch to step on during my climb or using aiders.

I ordered the 17’s and will be running a one step aider on the first 2 and have a moveable aider if needed. I figured I only use 3 full Hawks now so with the 2 that has an aider and the 2 sticks that don’t I’ll be able to get higher than I do now and if need to get any higher than that I’ll use the moveable aider.

Ended up ordering 2 20" sticks. May end up trying the 17" later down the road once I see how the 20s are.

Back