• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1st time climb (this tree), show me a better way

colin.704

this tree is 5'3" at waist height. 30' tether height, around limbs, walking up to tree unpacking, climbing, coming down, packing up and walking off under 9 min. I'm not sure you can do it with gaffs this quick with setting a platform and putting gaffs on/off, on ground and at platform, being packed up, and walking off. if you have a climbing method that you can do this quicker/ more efficiently I want to see it

I once one sticked up a tree similar to that one and thought it was pretty fun and easy. Then I one sticked up a tree that had rough flakey bark and didn’t think it was fun at all. Then I tried one sticking up a tree that had a significant lean to it and decided it wasn’t for me. I guess I’m saying it’s not really a race and there are more important factors then speed. It looked like you fell down when you landed hehe.

I once one sticked up a tree similar to that one and thought it was pretty fun and easy. Then I one sticked up a tree that had rough flakey bark and didn’t think it was fun at all. Then I tried one sticking up a tree that had a significant lean to it and decided it wasn’t for me. I guess I’m saying it’s not really a race and there are more important factors then speed. It looked like you fell down when you landed hehe.
ok. there's the problem. you climbed 3 times and gave up. people that take the time to do 1 sticking know/learn you don't climb leaning trees with it. but in my pack I have bolts and a hand drill for those trees. I also have a hand ascender. So when I climbed this tree I had 2 other methods on me. I also wasn't trying to climb "fast" or I would of climbed the skinny tree with no limbs to the right of it like everyone does making videos. I'm 51yrs old, overweight, out of shape, and haven't climbed since December. again, show me a better way. I'll do a white white oak with flaky bark and limbs everywhere next climb, to see how easy/hard it is. I also disagree, it is about speed, cause the faster you can walk up to a tree and climb it, the more options you have if you want to move. If there are more important things, enlighten me

I watched the video and it looked like a pretty straight forward 1 stick climb. A big tree yes, but pretty straight forward. Without a good close up I couldn’t tell, but we’re you using a lineman’s belt when you were on top of the stick? It looked like a lot of tether slack if not. I only remember seeing you raising you tether once per move. I could be mistaken.
I also 1 stick and could probably climb bigger trees, but I like the ones I can get my arms around. I try to raise as I go on my tether, but still have moments of slack. That’s why I plan to SRT this year and climb the big knarly trees I’d never consider putting my stick on. A lot of the places I hunt have really big, or really small trees, but few choice climbers where I’d like them.
As far as the show me a better way part, I think it’s subjective. What’s better for you may not be better for me. It depends on what is most important for each of us as individuals. I’ve hunted 3 different trees in a day more than once and am a big fan of 1 sticking. Presets and no slack are very appealing to me and are my next direction. But don’t think I won’t slide some 2TCing in there as well………have you tried 2TC?

I use a lineman’s belt 1 sticking if I’m climbing on the downhill side of the lean. The bigger the tree, the easier a belt makes getting up on your stick. It actually makes climbing a leaner pretty dang easy.

1 sticking is a very easy way to climb a tree. It’s also very fast. There’s a guy on you tube that gets up and down to about the same height in less than 6 minutes.

I like to climb fast too because it’s one of those things that if you don’t hustle, it turns into a 15 minute ordeal to be setup. For me, it’s my preferred method.

I agree with @bfriendly, your system appears to work very well for you but it is not a setup I would use based purely on personal preference because of what I prefer in a hunt setup and one particular safety aspect that is a non-starter for me. That doesnt mean you shouldnt use what works for you though. That's the great thing about saddle hunting and the variability of tools, everyone can put a system together for themselves that fits how they want to climb and hang as well as the amount of safety they want in the system. I stopped worrying about speed way before I started messing with saddle hunting. One of the biggest deer I have ever seen from a tree came in while I was 4/5 up the tree on a set of sticks that were already on the tree. What I learned there is that sometimes, the deer are going to win timing wise and that stealth is more important than speed. I'm not saying your system isnt stealthy, just pointing out that imo being able to get in and up as quietly as possible ranks well ahead of speed up the tree.

ok. there's the problem. you climbed 3 times and gave up. people that take the time to do 1 sticking know/learn you don't climb leaning trees with it. but in my pack I have bolts and a hand drill for those trees. I also have a hand ascender. So when I climbed this tree I had 2 other methods on me. I also wasn't trying to climb "fast" or I would of climbed the skinny tree with no limbs to the right of it like everyone does making videos. I'm 51yrs old, overweight, out of shape, and haven't climbed since December. again, show me a better way. I'll do a white white oak with flaky bark and limbs everywhere next climb, to see how easy/hard it is. I also disagree, it is about speed, cause the faster you can walk up to a tree and climb it, the more options you have if you want to move. If there are more important things, enlighten me
Of course it’s all personal opinion, and in my personal opinion stealth and versatility are more important than speed. I’ve seen a guy climb up a tree very quickly using a climber but we all know climbers will only work on certain trees. Oftentimes I climb trees that I personally wouldn’t want to one stick but can make it work with a set of sticks. Now if you can just use bolts when needed that will definitely be a big help.

this tree is 5'3" at waist height. 30' tether height, around limbs, walking up to tree unpacking, climbing, coming down, packing up and walking off under 9 min. I'm not sure you can do it with gaffs this quick with setting a platform and putting gaffs on/off, on ground and at platform, being packed up, and walking off. if you have a climbing method that you can do this quicker/ more efficiently I want to see it

Preset and Rope Climbing.

For example:

I know that the advantage of getting up 25' to 30' is that deer are less likely to see or scent you but it would seem to present a very poor shot angle for deer that are close to the tree. What distance would a deer have to be at to have a decent chance at a double lung shot?

I watched the video and it looked like a pretty straight forward 1 stick climb. A big tree yes, but pretty straight forward. Without a good close up I couldn’t tell, but we’re you using a lineman’s belt when you were on top of the stick? It looked like a lot of tether slack if not. I only remember seeing you raising you tether once per move. I could be mistaken.
I also 1 stick and could probably climb bigger trees, but I like the ones I can get my arms around. I try to raise as I go on my tether, but still have moments of slack. That’s why I plan to SRT this year and climb the big knarly trees I’d never consider putting my stick on. A lot of the places I hunt have really big, or really small trees, but few choice climbers where I’d like them.
As far as the show me a better way part, I think it’s subjective. What’s better for you may not be better for me. It depends on what is most important for each of us as individuals. I’ve hunted 3 different trees in a day more than once and am a big fan of 1 sticking. Presets and no slack are very appealing to me and are my next direction. But don’t think I won’t slide some 2TCing in there as well………have you tried 2TC?
I picked this tree because it was on the upper range of what I climb. not difficult, but big with a few limbs. 2tc? if I didn't have a 1 stick I definitely would do it before I spent $300, but having a 1 stick I don't see an advantage to it. still gotta stand on something, shave a pound for a more limited, and longer climb/setup? Nah not for me. Iif I was midwest, hunting huge cottonwoods I would not be 1 sticking, I'd use sticks, maybe 3. Eastern hardwoods/pines? this is how I'm doing it, until someone shows me a better way. As far as slack and safety? I used to tower climb (the stupid way) so 30ft is still ground level to me

I know that the advantage of getting up 25' to 30' is that deer are less likely to see or scent you but it would seem to present a very poor shot angle for deer that are close to the tree. What distance would a deer have to be at to have a decent chance at a double lung shot?
I try to keep it under 30yds. usually don't have a shot past that anyway. as far as the angle? well you put a drain hole in them, so tend to get blood trails.

Preset and Rope Climbing.

For example:
add to it setting the string, and the platform. a preset is not what I did. I carry twine to do presets, and I carry an ascender to use it. I'm talking about walking up to a tree, you've never been in/or to, and getting up it

I agree with @bfriendly, your system appears to work very well for you but it is not a setup I would use based purely on personal preference because of what I prefer in a hunt setup and one particular safety aspect that is a non-starter for me. That doesnt mean you shouldnt use what works for you though. That's the great thing about saddle hunting and the variability of tools, everyone can put a system together for themselves that fits how they want to climb and hang as well as the amount of safety they want in the system. I stopped worrying about speed way before I started messing with saddle hunting. One of the biggest deer I have ever seen from a tree came in while I was 4/5 up the tree on a set of sticks that were already on the tree. What I learned there is that sometimes, the deer are going to win timing wise and that stealth is more important than speed. I'm not saying your system isnt stealthy, just pointing out that imo being able to get in and up as quietly as possible ranks well ahead of speed up the tree.
I was halfway up a tree with a bow on my back and shot a buck. he was eating acorns 40yds away my whole climb. the wind made it possible I admit, but he walked within 5 ft of my tree, alerted, took a few more steps, then fell down. I was in the woods 15 min

Guys all I'm saying is show me a better way. I'll dang sure use it! Plebe so far is the only one that has tried. I want the absolute easiest way. I'm not scared of heights and if someone came out with bear claws I'd try it. I wouldn't say that was a fast climb 1 sticking, I've seen some dudes on here that do it and make me look real old. If your argument is it's not stealthy, I'm sorry, I don't agree.

Last edited:
add to it setting the string, and the platform. a preset is not what I did. I carry twine to do presets, and I carry an ascender to use it. I'm talking about walking up to a tree, you've never been in/or to, and getting up it

Sorry, I actually thought you were wanting to know of something quicker and more efficient for climbing that tree.

Folks have been one stick climbing for a long time, it’s not something newly invented. The pros and cons have been discussed ad nauseam. There are pros and cons to rope climbing methods as well. Between the two, rope climbing is more efficient movement and quicker.

If you don’t wish to look into it further, suit yourself.

I grimace every time your tether is below your knees.

Sorry, I actually thought you were wanting to know of something quicker and more efficient for climbing that tree.

Folks have been one stick climbing for a long time, it’s not something newly invented. The pros and cons have been discussed ad nauseam. There are pros and cons to rope climbing methods as well. Between the two, rope climbing is more efficient movement and quicker.

If you don’t wish to look into it further, suit yourself.

I grimace every time your tether is below your knees.
I did tower work for 6 yrs (2004-2010). We used ropes, (if we had time), so yeah i know the method. As far as rope having slack, call OSHA, they might care, i dont

I did tower work for 6 yrs (2004-2010). We used ropes, (if we had time), so yeah i know the method. As far as rope having slack, call OSHA, they might care, i dont
The issue is not so much with you climbing however you want to or accepting however much risk you are comfortable with, it is that promoting high or higher risk methods puts other people at risk. Tons of folks dont have the knowledge, experience or coordination you do and may not understand or want the same level of risk. Lord knows I have used plenty of methods for lots of years that had zero risk mitigation built in but I wouldnt promote climbing that way. I feel it is important at a minimum if showing a method with higher risk exposure to at least explain that so others better understand what they may want to try.

The issue is not so much with you climbing however you want to or accepting however much risk you are comfortable with, it is that promoting high or higher risk methods puts other people at risk. Tons of folks dont have the knowledge, experience or coordination you do and may not understand or want the same level of risk. Lord knows I have used plenty of methods for lots of years that had zero risk mitigation built in but I wouldnt promote climbing that way. I feel it is important at a minimum if showing a method with higher risk exposure to at least explain that so others better understand what they may want to try.
people on this site were sewing sit and drags when I signed up. I think the risk is implied

Back