• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 panel saddles and repelling

luckylakes

This may have been discussed but being new I have not figured the site out yet.
Plan on my 1st saddle purchase to be a 2 panel model within 2 weeks for state land hunts for 2021. You all know the 3ea out there.. Having used climbing sticks for 13 yrs I plan to 1 stick and repel down using one of the 3 most popular devices.
My question is are there any issues inherently dangerous between a 2 panel and a standard 2 strap saddle with either mesh/solid panel designs for repelling??
Of the current 2 panel models one's waist belt is not attached except @ the bridge D ring/plate and not load bearing. Is this a consideration as you cannot tighten it up the way a full waist belt that is stitched around the whole inside of the saddle with a ADF style buckle? Of course a buckle can be changed.
Before I buy I know there are millions of yrs of experience on this board so I value the input before I make the jump and a final decision.
Thanks in advance..

I one stick and rappel with a 2 piece saddle. No leg straps and no issues, just keep the bottom panel under your butt and it’s more comfortable than a 1 piece saddle IMO depending on the saddle. The latitude method is my current saddle and favorite, it comes with detachable leg loops if you feel you may want them but I’ve done this same climbing style and rappelling with a recon.

I found 1-sticking and rappelling to be way more comfortable with a 2-panel saddle as I could position the bottom panel to where I could really sit in it without it riding up. In my single-panel saddles I would often get a lot of "ride up" when moving my stick or rappelling due to the steep angle of the tether. That's not the case with a 2-panel.

Is it more dangerous to use a 2-panel saddle? I don't know if it's more dangerous, but there is more to keep track of to keep it safely positioned on your body. As you may have read on the site, the bottom panel of a 2-panel saddle can slip down to your knees/calves when you unweight it. I, personally, think an easily adjustable bridge is a must so that you can keep it super short while climbing up and rappelling down. This helps hold the panels in place, but is not a 100% guarantee by itself. You have to be conscious of where both panels are positioned on your body before you put your weight on it to move your stick or start your rap.

Also, for a new saddle user, I would certainly make sure you have a load-bearing waist belt and buckle. You may have seen that some guys use shock cord for the waist belt - I would consider this a more advanced mod that you shouldn't attempt until you have a lot of experience.

I wouldn't typically recommend a 2-panel saddle for a new user as there is more fiddle-factor in getting it on, off and positioned properly which can be frustrating to people who just want to slap it on and go. But if you are aware of all that going in, take your time and be conscientious and, above all, PRACTICE with it safely, the extra comfort is worth it for me.

I one stick and rappel with a 2 piece saddle. No leg straps and no issues, just keep the bottom panel under your butt and it’s more comfortable than a 1 piece saddle IMO depending on the saddle. The latitude method is my current saddle and favorite, it comes with detachable leg loops if you feel you may want them but I’ve done this same climbing style and rappelling with a recon.
What he said!

The latitude method is my current saddle and favorite, it comes with detachable leg loops

SE, Thanks for reply, I looked @ the method and was curious on those detachable leg loops. I looked a bit on the internet for those G hooks with the safety spring gate closure. Do you know where I could find them for sell in metal?
Thanks

I've one-sticked with an RCH, Phantom, and Recon. The Recon was the most comfortable to hang in while moving my stick up. As noted by @drew13, the single-panel design of the Phantom tended to ride up on me which felt unsafe, even with the leg straps secured. The Recon stays under me and does not cut into the back of my legs while hanging like an RCH can.

Of the current 2 panel models one's waist belt is not attached except @ the bridge D ring/plate and not load bearing. Is this a consideration as you cannot tighten it up the way a full waist belt that is stitched around the whole inside of the saddle with a ADF style buckle?
To me, this is not a small difference and the reason I will probably try out a Method if I can't find somebody to sew in a working belt into my Recon. I want to like the saddle because it is well-made/good price/comfortable but I had too many scary moments at height where I un-weighted my tether and my saddle dropped down my legs.

Not sure where to find them but if I remember right the ones that come with it are metal. I’ll dig them out later when I get home and get back to you if you’d like.

I've 1 sticked for 3/4 season with a phantom and only a few hunts with a metal free method. I always felt like I was going to fall out of the phantom. It would ride up while climbing and rappelling. I've experienced none of that with the method. I've even removed the leg straps, I feel like they're just not needed. The ability to move the bottom panel down makes it much more stable and comfortable. I also love the rope belt and can cinch it down really tight and it has always been comfortable for me.

Last edited:
I’ve rappelled with both my Recon and my ESS. I think It works great. I put the two panels close together or overlaid, right under my butt like a swing at the park and rappel away. No problems at all. I’m hoping to release a video later this week where you will be able to see me rappel with my Recon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this, too. Prefer the two panel for rappelling without leg straps.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Reactions: RLM
Back