• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 panel suggestions

jgleas114

SH Member
I have the ESS saddle it’s an ok saddle. It’s more comfortable than phantom but I am still not satisfied. I run a platform and ROS. Sometimes just the platform sometimes just the ROS.

The ESS is hard to keep together when walking to the stand and climbing a tree.

Is 2 panel the answer? If so, which one would you recommend ?

If not, which single panel would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get a lot of different suggestions and opinions. As for 2 panel, the Overwatch Outdoors Transformer is a great 2 panel saddle and a better, heavy duty-built version of the ESS and USA made. The Buzzard Roost is another popular 2 panel saddle.

In the end, you will have to find what works best for you and a saddle that complements your hunting style.

I like the two panel. When sitting I can hike the upper part so high I don't need a back support really. I can see how big bucket single panel like Cruzer XC might be even more comfortable in some situations, lower panel being narrower there are only few spots to place it in relation to hip joints.

I'm using Method 2 XL and I'm about 38-39" waist, had a 30" friend try the saddle and it's useable though you can't tighten the bridge loops all the way for walk in. Bigger is more comfortable if you can live with the bulk. Not necessarily recommending the Method, Cruzr has the Archon that also looks very interesting.

I've had 6 saddles so far. To me, a double panel attempts to solve a non existent problem.
The problem they attempt to solve is fixing a single panels discomfort. But the Cruzr XC is the Cadillac of comfort. It's absolutely perfect for most. Every double panel I had annoyed me in some way

Its all up to the person using the saddle, I have a Cruzr archon and for me it doesn’t fit well, the latitude fits better but in my opinion the buzzard roost fits the best with the ability to change both panels angle unlike cruzr. Thy also make it easy to change from a connected 2 panel and real 2 panel with snap in clips. I will be selling cruzr soon to up grade.

Since the saddles will probably small company direct to consumer products for foreseeable future, someone should make some 3D ass mapping service to determine which saddle is most likely to fit your curves.

I had the same problem with the ESS and never wore it in. It was a pain because it took up space in the pack and I would always get it tangled trying to put it on in the dark. It’s a comfortable saddle but definitely a lot of fiddle factor. Two things can fix the problem:

If you use a simple gear tie and tie the panels together that eleivistes a lot of the issues wearing it in. When I get to height I take it off and out it in my pack. The other thing that really helps is if you tie two small loops of elastic cord on the rings. Then take a small S biner and clip them together across your waist as you walk. No problem wearing it in and it won’t separate or slide down.

I can definitely recommend the Recon 2 panel saddle from Treehopper. I believe it comes in 3 sizes so you can sort of dial in fit from the beginning. I use the small, since I am about a 30 inch waist. I also almost never wear my saddle in and keep it in the backpack with all my other climbing gear I need to hunt. If I were going to wear it in, I would wear it up over my hips, cinched down tight, like a weightlifter's belt.

I typically do 4 to 5 hour regular sits and have done quite a few all day sits in the Recon. I use a ring of steps exclusively. Hope this helps.

I believe there is a small currently for sale in the classifieds, if you think that size would be right for you.

This is my third season using a Transformer. I'm not finicky when it comes to saddle design. I wear it fully decked out ready to climb, on the walk in and out, no issues. It's comfortable and built like a tank. To be honest, I stayed with it because it was the last saddle I bought and didn't feel like swapping my gear anymore. I dialed it in to my liking and it's treated me well. I loved my Merlin and Kestrel saddles too, both of which are very different than the Transformer. Only saddle that didn't work for me was Tethrd's pain in the Mantis!

Back