• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2 stick method with aiders

clint6760

Hello,

I am wanting to use 2 sticks with 3 step aiders on both sticks. What aiders would you recommend for this that attaches to climbing sticks with double steps. Something that folds up easily. Thanks

How lightweight or compact are you trying to go? Lightest and least bulky would be DIY some out of Amsteel. Personally, I have used and can recommend the UltimAider system. It's a little more weighty and introduces a lot of metal hardware though.

The ultimaider is sweet but like stated there’s a lot of metal and it’s bulky but the adjustability is endless and you can add or remove steps as you please. I’m probably the anomaly on this site because I HATE Amsteel. If find them harder to use than webbing and the weight sacrifice just isn’t worth it to me. I have a few of the sewn webbing aiders on a double step from ewo and they’re awesome

UltimAiders are bulky and have opportunity for metal clang but webbing is easy to climb on. Some of the metal issue can be alleviated by wrapping the hardware in vet bandage tape. In addition to its custom adjustability, a benefit is the aiders stay permanently attached if you loop the aider through gaps in the bottom double step (depends on your steps).

Another option would to put on a presewn/premade aider over the bottom step feet. I'd recommend checking out this page from HangFree, they have loads of aiders.

If you go with that method, an abrasion sleeve might be nice to help prevent wear on the aider where it contacts the double step teeth.

I really like my 3 step aider from Custom Gear Modifications.

I have the one that hangs onto the top step of your stick and is removable. Or you can cinch it on so it’s not removable. Folds up very small and weights nearly nothing.

I second CGM. if I ever quit buying other stuff I need 2 more. You can get a few attachment options

The CGM aider looks like it would work good. Now I just need to decide if I want one for both sticks or a cayg.

Another option, I like the fuel line it keeps the top steps open when you load the bottom two steps.

UltimAiders are bulky and have opportunity for metal clang but webbing is easy to climb on. Some of the metal issue can be alleviated by wrapping the hardware in vet bandage tape. In addition to its custom adjustability, a benefit is the aiders stay permanently attached if you loop the aider through gaps in the bottom double step (depends on your steps).

Another option would to put on a presewn/premade aider over the bottom step feet. I'd recommend checking out this page from HangFree, they have loads of aiders.

If you go with that method, an abrasion sleeve might be nice to help prevent wear on the aider where it contacts the double step teeth.
I’d get a three step for the money. I use a two most of the time. It’s nice to be able to switch from 1-3 as needed.

a546b3a8f9d6e8efbc0a80a81bb09471.jpg

98304fb66dca78251cce234455778b11.jpg

I ran two sticks with three step aiders for most of my hunts last season. Custom Amsteel product aiders rolled up and secured with rubber gear ties. Quick deployment.
Keep in mind, using aiders in crooked or leaning trees gets dangerous.

a546b3a8f9d6e8efbc0a80a81bb09471.jpg

98304fb66dca78251cce234455778b11.jpg

I ran two sticks with three step aiders for most of my hunts last season. Custom Amsteel product aiders rolled up and secured with rubber gear ties. Quick deployment.
Keep in mind, using aiders in crooked or leaning trees gets dangerous.
Leaning tower Pisa! For sure!

Hello,

I am wanting to use 2 sticks with 3 step aiders on both sticks. What aiders would you recommend for this that attaches to climbing sticks with double steps. Something that folds up easily. Thanks
Try Custom Amsteel Products. He will make what ever you need.

Gravity makes it more challenging to keep your foot/toe centered into the tree as you climb….Easier to kick out to side as you climb in the aider.
Also, normally you want to climb up the top side of the lean. This can make it challenging to seat your foot into the aider because there isn’t much (or any) room between it and the tree. Severe leans and aider will just lay on the trunk.

slightly leaning trees are no big deal.

I climb the bottom side if at all possible. Why fight gravity the whole time?

You must be more coordinated than me. If I’m trying to climb on the underside of a lean, I struggle even more. My aider ends up like two feet way from the tree trunk and it’s super hard to bury my toe in to the tree like this.

Back