• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

200 spine shaft?

Hunter260

I’m building my arrows for next season and lookin for advice before I buy another set of shafts. Plan on shooting a mathews v3x 75lb 29.5” draw. I’m gonna shoot a 200 grain broadhead. I’ll cut arrows probably to 29.5” and will run a 4 fletch and lighted nocks.

Questions: Do you think a 250 spine will tune?

Do you have suggestions for a good 200 spine shaft?

(No I don’t need to hear that a 200 grain broadhead is silly or about how you’ve passed through every animal in North America with a 200 grain arrow and rage broadhead)

Thanks in advance!

I’m building my arrows for next season and lookin for advice before I buy another set of shafts. Plan on shooting a mathews v3x 75lb 29.5” draw. I’m gonna shoot a 200 grain broadhead. I’ll cut arrows probably to 29.5” and will run a 4 fletch and lighted nocks.

Questions: Do you think a 250 spine will tune?

Do you have suggestions for a good 200 spine shaft?

(No I don’t need to hear that a 200 grain broadhead is silly or about how you’ve passed through every animal in North America with a 200 grain arrow and rage broadhead)

Thanks in advance!
It depends on what brand you use. All arrows are definitely not the same! Some are very stiff and some are more flexible even in 250 spine. Victory won’t tune for me, neither will gold tips, but the Sirius will tune for me. I also shoot 200 grain broadheads with a 100 grain insert. My draw length is 32” though and I shoot 70 lbs on a high speed hoyt rx 5. I called Sirius and spoke with them for 30 minutes about my arrow set up and the owner told me that the numbers his company lists are very conservative and recommended I try the 250 spine before going to 200 or even 150 spine which they sell but do not advertise or list (special request item). Maybe buy a test kit for the 200/250 and see which one flies straight then use that.

I also think you may be on the edge of the two spines. Any additional weight up front and I would go with the 200. Most spine charts are not made considering a lot of weight up front I think.
I have 30" DL and shot 300 spine arrows out of a 60# bow with 200 grain heads up front. They tuned well. I went to a different bow at 65# and supposedly 15fps faster out of the gate. It seems they still shoot fine but I am closer to being underspined now.
I think my old bow shot these arrows at just under 250fps,curious to see what the speed with this new one is.
I think most bows should tune ok even underspined or overspined,but you don't want to have an arrow blow up on release from too much flex.

In your case I would just stick with 200. Won't hurt anything & would tune well. Ive been using Sirius Apollo 200 spine with the full ss sleeve & insert. 220 grains of insert & 250gr bh. Best arrow set up I've ever used. I run 4 feathers on the rear just to help. 28 inch draw at 80lbs. Hogs hate em.

In your case I would just stick with 200. Won't hurt anything & would tune well. Ive been using Sirius Apollo 200 spine with the full ss sleeve & insert. 220 grains of insert & 250gr bh. Best arrow set up I've ever used. I run 4 feathers on the rear just to help. 28 inch draw at 80lbs. Hogs hate em.
You can over spine and it won’t fly straight either.

I’m shooting 65lbs with limbs that run a little hot. I’m shooting a 250 spine gold tip micro diameter arrow, 200 grains up front. Bullet holes like a dream. I have another setup that’s 250 spine 200 grains up front but I added 135 of insert. Bullet holes just as well. 28.5” arrow.

I have a friend that’s a bow tech and he’s been shooting the 200 spine sirrus arrows. If you can find a test pack I’d try a 200 spine. I’d almost think a 250 in your setup would tend to be weak. Might be fine but I’d always rather have a stiffer arrow as long as it isn’t too stiff

Based on their calculator you're borderline between 200 and 250 depending on insert weight and cam aggressiveness, so a test pack is the safe bet, but I would guess 200 won't be so overspined as to cause a problem.

*Entering half inch arrow measurements makes the numbers wonky*

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m running 200g broad heads on a 250 Sirius Apollo quad fletch with zero issues. I had them tuned to a V3 27 and V3 31. Sold the 31. Kept the 27 because it’s awesome. The arrows have zero issue. Additionally I am 30.5 DL at 65lbs and get 245fps on the chrono.

I run the Sirius Apollos 250 with 225 up front ctc 28.25 with a 29in draw and 70 lbs. They shoot great. With your specs I would go with a 200 spine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can get away with a very stiff arrow in a compound. My wife is shooting a 340 spine axis with 350 grains up front. 27 inch draw, 42 pounds. They bare shaft great and broadheads fly perfect. I think the either shaft will tune, but the 200 shouldn’t be an issue.

I think I’ll go with a 200, anyone have any suggestions on a 200 spine shaft that doesn’t weigh too much and hopefully won’t break the bank??

Lancaster has 200 black eagle spartans for 12.50 and shaft, so 150 for a dozen. I like Sirius arrows. But they are 180 to 200 range for a dozen shafts. They are tough arrows. Ive bent the ss ethics half out insert and the arrow was still good to good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can u really be over spined with a compound and high foc arrow?
Yes. Instead of kicking to the weak side it’ll over compensate and end up straying opposite. Of the two it’s better to be over spine than under but with a test kit you can usually dial it in perfectly. Why guess and settle for suboptimal arrow flight, when you can use a kit and then have them all built perfectly?

I think I’ll go with a 200, anyone have any suggestions on a 200 spine shaft that doesn’t weigh too much and hopefully won’t break the bank??
Check out the rampage’s for the price they are pretty good, but Sirius is the best in my opinion

Black Eagle Rampage. Really light for a heavy spined arrow. I use 300s with 300 grains up front out of my recurve. Perfect bullet holes through paper and great flight. Everything else in 300 spine was too heavy. For reference 54 pound recurve 30 inch draw and arrows cut to 31.5 inches. Better go with the 200s on that 75 pound compound

I've been using Gold Tip Kinetic 200's for 10 years. Various lengths. My current arrow is 31.5" long. Bowtech Revolt 72-73lb? It was 70lb at the shop but I put 3 twists in the cables. I haven't found my scale yet. It got packed away in the move. Anyway, up front is a 175gr Strickland Helix BH w/ a 75 gr insert and 15 gr Ballistic collar. On the back is a GT pin nock bushing and a HD pin nock plus four 3" feathers. Estimated weight 645 gr. Can't find that scale either! It bareshaft tunes a little weak. However bareshafts, fletched, and BH's hit together at 20 yds. I could probably get the tail right out w. some extra tuning.( I'm lefty). This is a Bone smashing setup that went thru the shoulder knuckle of a Mature 145" 10 pt on the entrance and shattered the opposite shoulder this year. I've had similar results a 600gr ish version of it. Very durable set up.

Call Seth at Sirius Archery in KY. His arrows are buy once cry once unless you stick one in a tree behind a 3D target due to a PSE through, then you cry twice. Or so I heard.
A micro diameter 200 spine carbon! I Didn't know Sirius made those. However, I checked them out. They look pretty good. I can see myself having a dozen of these before the season.

Back