• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2016 group hunt poll

Where/when would you prefer to hunt for Saddlepalooza 2016? (You can pick your top 2 of each)

• Mausty's camp in central PA (All weeks might not be available)

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Alleghany National Forest in Western PA

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Wayne National Forest in South East Ohio

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • October 9-15

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • October 16-22

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • October 23-29

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Ok so we have had a few ideas thrown out there for the group hunt. Please take the poll to submit your choices. You can pick 2 locations and 2 weeks and we'll end up going with what works for the majority. Obviously things come up but only vote if you intend on coming. I'm sure not everyone can do a full week but even if you can only come a day or two it would be awesome to get as many of us together as possible.

We will also try do do a weekend get together in the spring or early summer so if you can't do this hunt so stay tuned.

1. An extremely generous offer from Maustypsu to stay at his camp in central PA.
"I have one offer that I can throw out there. Fine for 10-15 guys easy. Can make more than that work.

Our cabin is in Lewis Township of Union County.

It is about 30 minutes from Jersey Shore, PA. or 15 minutes from a place called Rauchtown, PA. The public land we hunt spreads from Union, Clinton and Centre County. We could split up into different sections and cover some sick amount of public land. Hard hunt. Thick laurel and mountains. But there are terrific trail systems throughout to get you to just about every ridge, then you need to find the sign and deer trails. A good GPS, Compass and ways to stay warm and hydrated are all a must. Nice thing is, you really cannot get lost. There is a system of old dirt roads and you are never much more than a mile from one unless you really want to be.

Bald Eagle State Forest has 193,000 acres of public land.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle_State_Forest

And there is more public land than that around.

Hopefully, someone who is hunting there more regularly than me can give us tips for which WMU's will be easiest to get doe tags for.

This year, Saturday October 17th was a planned cabin weekend so I wouldn't take more than one or two guys that weekend. However, anyone close enough wanting to join me for scouting (if we pick a later weekend), you could.

Also, there will be three workdays at the camp between now and then. So anyone wanting to meet me for one of those, I could have a few guys up. Especially, if you don't mind spending a few hours painting or hauling wood. :lol: :lol:"

2. Alleghany National Forest, PA
"PA State Game Lands are good but I'd look at the Allegheny National Forest or State Forests. They offer thousands of acres of public land and are typically overlooked by other hunters. They offer opportunities for large mature bucks. The mountain I hunt on is 75% state forest and there were 2 180"+ deer killed on it last year.
Only word of caution is be prepared to walk mountains - you need to have at least a moderate level of fitness or you'll have less than a fun time."
3. Wayne National Forest- South East Ohio.
It's Ohio, need I say more?

We Canadians could have one but we have to locate a Tim Hortons on some prime hunting land first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fawnzy said:
We Canadians could have one but we have to locate a Tim Hortons on some prime hunting land first

I've been missing your Canadian sense of humor lately :lol:

Re: RE: Re: 2016 group hunt poll

fawnzy said:

So true.

Re: RE: 2016 group hunt poll

redsquirrel said:
Ok so we have had a few ideas thrown out there for the group hunt. Please take the poll to submit your choices. You can pick 2 locations and 2 weeks and we'll end up going with what works for the majority. Obviously things come up but only vote if you intend on coming. I'm sure not everyone can do a full week but even if you can only come a day or two it would be awesome to get as many of us together as possible.

We will also try do do a weekend get together in the spring or early summer so if you can't do this hunt so stay tuned.

1. An extremely generous offer from Maustypsu to stay at his camp in central PA.
"I have one offer that I can throw out there. Fine for 10-15 guys easy. Can make more than that work.

Our cabin is in Lewis Township of Union County.

It is about 30 minutes from Jersey Shore, PA. or 15 minutes from a place called Rauchtown, PA. The public land we hunt spreads from Union, Clinton and Centre County. We could split up into different sections and cover some sick amount of public land. Hard hunt. Thick laurel and mountains. But there are terrific trail systems throughout to get you to just about every ridge, then you need to find the sign and deer trails. A good GPS, Compass and ways to stay warm and hydrated are all a must. Nice thing is, you really cannot get lost. There is a system of old dirt roads and you are never much more than a mile from one unless you really want to be.

Bald Eagle State Forest has 193,000 acres of public land.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle_State_Forest

And there is more public land than that around.

Hopefully, someone who is hunting there more regularly than me can give us tips for which WMU's will be easiest to get doe tags for.

This year, Saturday October 17th was a planned cabin weekend so I wouldn't take more than one or two guys that weekend. However, anyone close enough wanting to join me for scouting (if we pick a later weekend), you could.

Also, there will be three workdays at the camp between now and then. So anyone wanting to meet me for one of those, I could have a few guys up. Especially, if you don't mind spending a few hours painting or hauling wood. "

2. Alleghany National Forest, PA
"PA State Game Lands are good but I'd look at the Allegheny National Forest or State Forests. They offer thousands of acres of public land and are typically overlooked by other hunters. They offer opportunities for large mature bucks. The mountain I hunt on is 75% state forest and there were 2 180"+ deer killed on it last year.
Only word of caution is be prepared to walk mountains - you need to have at least a moderate level of fitness or you'll have less than a fun time."
3. Wayne National Forest- South East Ohio.
It's Ohio, need I say more?
Red, do you have certain weeks in mind?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: RE: 2016 group hunt poll

Erniepower said:
Red, do you have certain weeks in mind?

Hey, Ernie. Check out the Poll at the top. Red has given us the choice of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th weeks of October. Then we can vote for the two of those choices that work best for us.

Hope you can make it. I'm likely to make any of these options and look forward to seeing your set ups live.

I'm really excited about this, trip. I can't see the poll on tapatalk, so I will have to look on a computer. I can't wait to see all the cool modifications and diy projects

According to the QDMA B&C / P&Y - the Wayne National forest is in the best county in Ohio also!

"The mountain I hunt in is 75% state forest and there were 2 180" deer killed on it last year" was one of my comments and it was regarding the forest in the link below. If we went to maustys camp we could easily hunt it because it's only about a 30 min drive.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiadaghton_State_Forest

Yep, the Poll shows up here on the computer.
Has anyone researched tag availability for these three locations? Are they all over the counter, how hard is it to get doe tags etc.

Erniepower said:
Has anyone researched tag availability for these three locations? Are they all over the counter, how hard is it to get doe tags etc.

Anyone who has more information can hop in, but this is what it appears from what I've read:
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-tra ... nd-permits
Ohio has OTC tags. $125 for non residents, anterless permit available for $24.

PA nonresident hunting license, $101.70, non resident archery $26.70. Looks like that is good for a buck and you need to buy an anterless tag for a doe. PA is OTC also (at least for the hunting license portion, not sure on the anterless tag).

redsquirrel said:
Erniepower said:

Anyone who has more information can hop in, but this is what it appears from what I've read:
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-tra ... nd-permits
Ohio has OTC tags. $125 for non residents, anterless permit available for $24.

PA nonresident hunting license, $101.70, non resident archery $26.70. Looks like that is good for a buck and you need to buy an anterless tag for a doe. PA is OTC also (at least for the hunting license portion, not sure on the anterless tag).

PA antlerless tags are done by lottery in July. First they do resident then a few days later they do non-resident. They are done by wildlife management unit (ANF and Mautsys place are in different zones) with each having different quotas/ tags available. I always get a tag and there are plenty leftover for non-residents. They typically sell-out during the non-resident lottery but I think there's a good chance most of you will get a tag.

If we choose PA I'll keep everyone updated to make sure we get our stuff in. The Hunting License season runs from June 1-May31. Resident is $6, but I'm sure non-resident is $20-30.

And yes, it's pricey for a state not widely known for "big bucks". However, I think something like 60% of our B&C / P&Y entries have come in the last 10 years since an antler restriction was put in (3 point minimum on at least one side) so we're producing more mature deer.

My brother and I decided to do a DIY hunt in Missouri the first week of November, 2016. I'm hoping I can pull off both hunts!

g2outdoors said:
My brother and I decided to do a DIY hunt in Missouri the first week of November, 2016. I'm hoping I can pull off both hunts!

Hope you can come!

I think we will leave the voting open until 1/21/16. I am going to try to get a spring scouting trip in to wherever we go and that will give enough time to plan that out, figure out who is going in the fall and start planning this thing :cool: .

I got approval from the missus, now it just depends on the date. I have an elk hunt in Idaho the week of the 10th.

g2outdoors said:
redsquirrel said:
Hope you can come!

Since Saddlepalooza will be a long weekend, I'm optimistic I can do both.

FYI I plan on going for the entire week. I know not everyone will be able to do that so I would love to see whoever can make it for whenever they are able to get away! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back