• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2022-2023 Duck Thread

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Been working on casting and blinds with ole Famous Amos. Bought a pushpole. Bought a new pack of batteries for the mojos. Hosed off the decoys.

Couple more weeks and we should start to see the odd teal here and there. September 10th opener in Alabama. Rice flats are looking good. The one we hunted last year has almost doubled in size.

Here's to hoping! Who's ready? I've got stank in my mouth from last year.

Our teal/resident goose season opens the same day. I'm keeping tabs on a few flocks of residents. Took off the 1st/2nd of the month for dove opener and a 5 day weekend.

Well my buddy got big into duck/goose hunting last year. Was a die hard deer hunter and said he’s gonna focus on ducks/geese this year. So I’m hoping to tag along with him this year and see how I like it as well! Another thing to spend money on…

Really looking forward to it this year. Teal opener here beginning of Sept. Then youth season a couple weeks later. Hopefully I'll be able to get my son out on some. Putting the finishing touches on my yak blind (no motor boats on the one area). Going to make a jerk rig or two as well.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Duck hunters...those guys who LOUDLY CRASH into a spot I got into like a ninja 3 hours earlier, so they could maybe splash a bird after 47 shotgun blasts.

No I'm not angry...:(
See, down here the duck hunting kids are too much. I can beat the deer crowd by having by butt in the stand an hour or maybe 2 before daybreak. Ducks? I've sat in the parking lot waiting on a buddy at 2am and had 7 trucks roll past me. It's insane. Kinda inspiring to see kids wirh that much go.

Duck hunters...those guys who LOUDLY CRASH into a spot I got into like a ninja 3 hours earlier, so they could maybe splash a bird after 47 shotgun blasts.

No I'm not angry...:(
Sounds like a typical deer hunter:sweatsmile: JK

I tried to avoid deer hunters if it's on a wildlife area, if it's a waterfowl managed area though, why are you deer hunting it not expecting Duck hunters? Haven't walked into a spot in a while, between the sneak boat and kayak we stick to the backwater stuff or permission on private.

See, down here the duck hunting kids are too much. I can beat the deer crowd by having by butt in the stand an hour or maybe 2 before daybreak. Ducks? I've sat in the parking lot waiting on a buddy at 2am and had 7 trucks roll past me. It's insane. Kinda inspiring to see kids wirh that much go.

We used to spend the night at some areas when I was in highschool, especially when our scouting showed very good amounts of birds.

Slept in the boat a few times at a managed green timber unit. Slept in the boat one full moon might, had at least 100 greenheads land in the hole at 3 AM, nothing but moonlight,, it was nuts.

We used to spend the night at some areas when I was in highschool, especially when our scouting showed very good amounts of birds.

Slept in the boat a few times at a managed green timber unit. Slept in the boat one full moon might, had at least 100 greenheads land in the hole at 3 AM, nothing but moonlight,, it was nuts.
I slept at a wood duck hole one time. One. Too much work to shoot a 3 bird limit in 10 minutes and then go home!

What Da fuq is that gun?...lol

Seriously, can't wait. Started mowing sunflowers yesterday. Today the field gets sprayed. Love the dove warm up.

Our switch grass is looking great. If all goes well, we pay our part of the lease with it. Still have a blind to move. I need to get the boat in the water too.

What Da fuq is that gun?...lol

Seriously, can't wait. Started mowing sunflowers yesterday. Today the field gets sprayed. Love the dove warm up.

Our switch grass is looking great. If all goes well, we pay our part of the lease with it. Still have a blind to move. I need to get the boat in the water too.
That's my buddy's game warden attractant, lol. Some kinda 12 gauge built on an AK platform. Weird.

He actually just bought a new mossberg yesterday. He's gonna swing by and run a few rounds through it in a bit.

A couple of teal seasons ago we camped out at a hole for the opener and got there at 8 pm the night before. Folks started trickling in around midnight. By 3 am there were lights everywhere

A couple of teal seasons ago we camped out at a hole for the opener and got there at 8 pm the night before. Folks started trickling in around midnight. By 3 am there were lights everywhere
Yeah, duck hunters are nutjobs. I thought I was hard-core until I picked up the sport. Frickin animals.

Deer hunters complain about the cold. Duck hunters complain about it not getting cold enough while wading around in the mud and riding little coffin boats. All for 3 bites of duck breast.

Animals

Yeah, duck hunters are nutjobs. I thought I was hard-core until I picked up the sport. Frickin animals.

Deer hunters complain about the cold. Duck hunters complain about it not getting cold enough while wading around in the mud and riding little coffin boats. All for 3 bites of duck breast.

Animals

I know it. I’m still figuring it all out and am a rookie. I’m unlucky and lucky to have some of those nutjobs as friends. I have been talked into some dumb stuff. That being said, it has led to some of the most fun hunts/times I have ever had.

I know it. I’m still figuring it all out and am a rookie. I’m unlucky and lucky to have some of those nutjobs as friends. I have been talked into some dumb stuff. That being said, it has led to some of the most fun hunts/times I have ever had.
Oh yeah. I think the reason I've taken to duck hunting so much is the camaraderie. I think that's why the kids like it so much. You can bring a buddy and chit chat while you wait for the flight. Totally different vibe.

I have been talked into some dumb stuff.

That's waterfowling in a nutshell. I'm usually the one doing some talking and my bud is the one being talked into stuff. I'll do damn near anything for some greenheads and pintails.

You haven't lived until you've drank coffee and ate biscuits and made small talk for 2 hours in knee-deep water surrounded by dozens of glowing red eyes in early September.

Or sank the boat practically to the gunnels in 50ft or white capping river water.

Or found yourself by yourself miles from civilization up to your neck in a beaver pond with your feet trapped in mud.

But it's worth it to watch one dishrag

Back