• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2nd time kestrel/stepp system

Andovirus

So today was my 2nd live run with my kestrel and stepp system. Great kit! Other than a couple little planning and dexterity foul ups. Can’t say I’m 100% with stepp technique yet but I’m getting better. Saddle was perfect. But! Whilst climbing I got to thinking, will the lineman’s belt arrest a fall? Should I be using my tether as I go up? And thoughts would be appreciated. Safety is my#1 concern as I don’t heal as fast as I used to.

I know what you mean I don't heal like I used to either. I just use lineman's belt when I climb but if you want to be really safe you could use your your tether and your bridge. I back all my ropes up with a figure 8 hooked into the carabiner just feel safer that way.

Yeah I had a stepp kick out from me with a center connection in a rock harness but it stopped me since it was a closed loop. Figured I could just move my tether up as I advanced up the tree. Like a repelling figure 8? Trying to picture that.

Last edited:
Yeah I had a stepp kick out from me with a center connection in a rock harness but it stopped me since it was a closed loop. Figured I could just move my tether up and I advanced up the tree. Like a repelling figure 8? Trying to picture that.
I know what you mean I don't heal like I used to either. I just use lineman's belt when I climb but if you want to be really safe you could use your your tether and your bridge. I back all my ropes up with a figure 8 hooked into the carabiner just feel safer that way.
Yeah I had a stepp kick out from me with a center connection in a rock harness but it stopped me since it was a closed loop. Figured I could just move my tether up as I advanced up the tree. Like a repelling figure 8? Trying to picture that.

Just realized what you meant, sorry I’m a bit slow today. Yeah I do the same thing.

Glad it's working for you. You could move your tether up as you climb. It will not be as quick as using a lineman's belt. The lineman's belt is more of a positioning device to prevent a fall than to catch a fall.

If you move your tether up as you climb you want to keep minimal slack in it. The tethers that we use are static or close to static line. It is meant to hold us without stretching, not to catch a fall.

That’s what kinda what I was thinking. Set the stepp, move the tether, flip lineman’s belt and move up. Take out the slack with the Ropeman set the next stepp. Etc. Reckon I could get 2 stepps for each tether move if I don’t use the aider that is. My shifts stepp I’m sure was poor technique as it was day one with them. Still gave me a hell of a pucker and a nice bruise.

The stepps have a huge learning curve IMO. That being said I think they are great with an aider once you learn them. They are my current mobile system.

Love em so far, just not 100% on my skills just yet. Rather err on the safe side until I am.

The stepps have a huge learning curve IMO. That being said I think they are great with an aider once you learn them. They are my current mobile system.
Read a lot of your posts. Do you leave your stepps in place in the field and go back to them or set up and take down each time?

Love em so far, just not 100% on my skills just yet. Rather err on the safe side until I am.
Read a lot of your posts. Do you leave your stepps in place in the field and go back to them or set up and take down each time?
Yes, be safe, like I said there is a big learning curve.

For what it is worth I just started using them this season. I only hunt mobile with them. If I was going to hunt a spot at night and go back the next morning I'd leave them in, but that would probably only happen during the rut. I like them. They are not quite as quick as sticks but I love how they pack up and are so quiet.

Rgr that. Taking my time I usually have my stand set and in the tree in about 30 mins. Provided I don’t bone head anything and have to re do something. Had to re set a couple stepps this weekend and didn’t follow my steps so it took some extra time.

Yes, be safe, like I said there is a big learning curve.

For what it is worth I just started using them this season. I only hunt mobile with them. If I was going to hunt a spot at night and go back the next morning I'd leave them in, but that would probably only happen during the rut. I like them. They are not quite as quick as sticks but I love how they pack up and are so quiet.
So Red how are you packing in, are you carrying a pack large enough to put the Stepps bag in? Are you taking a platform on these hunts or just using the Stepps. I tried carrying my Stepp bag, platform and my usual small pack the other day had to carry platform in one hand and muzzleloader in the other. Stepp bag digging in my shoulder not fun

So Red how are you packing in, are you carrying a pack large enough to put the Stepps bag in? Are you taking a platform on these hunts or just using the Stepps. I tried carrying my Stepp bag, platform and my usual small pack the other day had to carry platform in one hand and muzzleloader in the other. Stepp bag digging in my shoulder not fun
He has a thread on his pack setup. Hear you on the shoulder. They just came out with a shoulder pad but I can't tell what its made with. Sent Andrew a note to find out before I order

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

A set of 8 will fit in a regular day pack. I wish I had ordered ten. I use the aider going up but not much on the way down. If you are stepping down four feet and forget to move your linesmans rope way low before taking the step it will remind you of it’s ability to stop you on at least slow you down while you wiggle around trying to get those last couple inches to your step. Scratched my belly a couple times this year that way. I feel like it would arrest a fall on all but the slickest trees. Wouldn’t be fun but you wouldn’t be broke up at the bottom of a tree wishing you had told someone exactly where you were either.

Yea, see the other thread. Right now it is a small shoulder pack that I can put 6 stepps in. It made more noise than I expected though so I'll keep searching. I don't use a platform, just strap on steps for a platform so they are in that bag too. I have my daypack on my back with the stepps and bow over my shoulder.

Back