• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3 sisters

Razorbak66

Well i have been busy this week..picked up a singer 401 Barely runs) a singer deluxe 15-91 made in japan 1948(it runs but where the needle goes doesnt come down but the wheel where the new belt is turns fine) and today after hunting i happen to stop at a yard sale as i was driving by out of the corner of my eye i spotted something interesting so i stopped and backed up and went to see..i come across a great looking machine and i ask the couple to see if it runs..the old fella grab a extension cord and proceeded to plug it in...lo and behold it runs and needle went up and down with a frenzy..i asked how much...$5 he says..i couldnt grab my wallet quick enough...now she is home with the others..i havent had time to really mess with them yet but this WHITE brand machine..i figure with a good cleaning and oiling she gonna run great

Ok just tried several times..cant seem to post pictures..anyone able to do it for me..i can email or text the photos.thank you

Those machines will probably do a great job for you. The Singer 401 is one of my favorite zigzag machines and has been called the 'finest machine Singer ever made.' Your Japanese (The 'Deluxe' badge is the key to i.d.'ing that it is Japanese made) Singer 15 clone is usually a very good straight stitcher. And White enjoys a good reputation as well. If you have any questions about cleaning them up, please post them and we will give you our opinions. Your photos are probably too large to be posted and need to be reduced in size when posting.

Im not sure how to reduce the pic..i cleaned and oiled and got the white running except i cant thread it properly..have yet been able to find any info online to show it....i want to get the japanese singer running if i can get the arm to come down..the moter runs and belt turns but where the needle goes..the arm doesnt move

Screen shot the image and post the screenshot, that's how most people do it

Nice looking machines! Here is a link for a generic Japanese Singer Clone 15 (Your Photo #2):

I think your Singer in the 3rd photo is a Singer 237. A .pdf manual for it is at Singer.com/support. You should see the machine's model # on the white stitch length panel on the sm's pillar. The 237 is a very good, basic zigzag machine - almost all metal. It has straight stitch capability (zigzag stitch with a width of '0'), a zigzag of varying widths, and a blind hem stitch for clothing construction.

The White in your 1st photo looks to be a nice zz machine. Once you master the Singer 237, you should be able to figure the White out. Try googling the White's model number for a manual, then look on EBay for one.

John Thomas in NC

Having a hell of a time finding a white manual for this model..cant figure out how to thread it..John thank you for the link

Post a close up photo of needle area including thread guides in needle area. Also photo of upper thread tensioner and one of bobbin case. I may be able to help.

Japanese made 2335..i found something simiar but not quite the same..just realize some of these machines side load the needles not like the newer machines with the flat spot on needle on facing the back

The whites in the best condition and it runs pretty good...now the belt that it takes..looks similar to a singer belt..are they all the same size? Its a rubber one

The whites in the best condition and it runs pretty good...now the belt that it takes..looks similar to a singer belt..are they all the same size? Its a rubber one
Belts are not the same size. To measure for correct belt length, make sure the motor is positioned in a "normal" location on the motor bracket to allow slight adjustment fore or aft when you get your belt. Then, take a string and follow the belt path (from the motor pulley around the belt track/groove on the back side of the hand wheel and back to the motor pulley), mark and measure the string path length to determine belt length. Order one from www.shop.sew-classic.com based on length (I found this site very economical, helpful, complete, etc.).

I prefer the lugged, orange ones (I don't care for the universal, stretchy black ones). The site owner, Jenny, has a tutorial that I based my above belt measuring comments on. I suggest you read it in case I missed something. You want the belt to fit snugly, but not "death grip" tight; it puts too much side stress on the motor shaft bearings if too tight. I hope this is helpful.

Back