• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

3D printed steps

Noonespecial

When do you think someone will start to manufacture and sell 3D printed steps? I’ve seen a lot of great designs out there that look way better than what’s on the market currently. Especially the designs with a curved back to get better surface area support from the tree. I can’t understand why people make steps with a flat back. Trees are round!!!

I use 3D printed steps to climb with. 2oz each. They work great for me. I tried them as a ring of steps, but they didn’t work well for that at all. For climbing though, with the HD strap and OCB latch from DanO, I love them.

Todd Perkins
-Regional Prostaff Manager for Mossy Oak
-Trophyline Treesaddle Brand Ambassador
-Arcus Hunting Field Staff member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping to use them for a ring of steps. In my opinion there isn’t anything out there right now that works well. I’ve tried squirrel steps, old Ameristeps and Treehopper as well.

Been trying them in different designs for a bit. Need to be really careful though. Lots of printed parts can have weak spots where layers didn't bond as well as they should. These parts can fail catastrophically, Be careful. Some things I've learned that might help others trying them,

Print out of an Engineering material ABS at minimum, PC-ABS, PC, Carbon Filled PC you get the idea (Don't attempt in PLA it fractures easily and doesn't hold up on cold) **VERY IMPORTANT**

Do not rely on thin sections for strap, Best to have strap compress the part against tree rather than part cantilevered out away from the strap

A metal reinforcement small bolt or such through middle can keep layers from separating by compressing layers together (don't crush) also provides a small safety if part fails tends to do so slowly possibly bending bolt but giving you time to react instead of a shear and you fall

Print several layers on the outside, this makes continuous external loops verses one loop on exterior that can fail then you rely on the inside that is choppy to hold it together.

On the same count as above use thinner walls with lots of support ribs, this keeps stress in the part when building lower and allows more continuous threads to be laid down increasing strength.

Check parts often for cracking spiting discard at any damage, not worth it. Also watch for weathering plastics are susceptible to sun damage especially in the south.

Adding holes in tree side fore small hex head screws can actually help the step bite into bark, but also can keep tree from getting ripped up as much by reducing sliding around.

Lots more i could add for sure but these came to mind pretty quick, hope it helps

I have seen those cad files before but the owner said some pieces broke off while using as a ring of steps. Maybe reinforce like Psomeone listed above. I saw these on another site and thought they would be awesome!

AB61DF83-E907-4AFB-B63C-A41D39845FBF.png

I'm sure you've seen these, they've been posted on the site before.

Yup, haven't tried his design yet, (we worked together on the printed sticks), my problem is the thin plastic at the top, I made one similar and that section broke (I'm not light, take with a grain of salt). Got to test my DIY saddles shock load. It's a champ, Not saying to not try his design just be Safe when doing it.

Also check out:

For others looking for the fb post. Don't see where he's published the files anywhere. Design looks good.

I sent him a message but haven’t heard anything either. If I get or if anyone else gets these files please post. Thanks!

I have seen those cad files before but the owner said some pieces broke off while using as a ring of steps. Maybe reinforce like Psomeone listed above. I saw these on another site and thought they would be awesome!

View attachment 30294
I posted on FB using the STL off Yeggi, I think its PSomeone's stl, I printed in PETG and tried to break them before trying it out on the tree, I found them really strong, I printed slow with 100% infill. I actually really like them I wouldn't try them in PLA though I have a few ideas to try with an alteration, I didn't print it full size either i altered the scale, regards wayne

Wayne thanks for filling us in! Please let us know if those alterations work better for you. I’m gonna give it a try.

Wayne thanks for filling us in! Please let us know if those alterations work better for you. I’m gonna give it a try.
As soon as I do the alterations I will post an update but as is it’s strong printed with Petg, it is also chemical and sun resistant which is why I went with it, also the ozone unit I printed works well so I can add the stl for anyone wanting to try that with a parts list I did a few variations on the box till it was right, regards Wayne
Here’s the steps fitted

Last edited:
I was hoping to use them for a ring of steps. In my opinion there isn’t anything out there right now that works well. I’ve tried squirrel steps, old Ameristeps and Treehopper as well.

Then I doubt you will be happy with any ring of steps.
What’s the issue with any of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As soon as I do the alterations I will post an update but as is it’s strong printed with Petg, it is also chemical and sun resistant which is why I went with it, also the ozone unit I printed works well so I can add the stl for anyone wanting to try that with a parts list I did a few variations on the box till it was right, regards Wayne
Here’s the steps fitted
Well, That's embarrassing as hell! First didn't recognize my own design, second I never printed that design (meant to never did). That being said "[B]wayne r[/B]" Really appreciate the feed back, Now I have to try it. and thanks for giving everyone the heads up. Also if you have Ideas to make better by all means let me know be happy to update design.

Then I doubt you will be happy with any ring of steps.
What’s the issue with any of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Safety and size...Ameristeps have problems breaking...broke a Treehopper this week which lead to this post and squirrel steps are very small. I know we can do better...I only hunt from a ring of steps.

Safety and size...Ameristeps have problems breaking...broke a Treehopper this week which lead to this post and squirrel steps are very small. I know we can do better...I only hunt from a ring of steps.

You broke a tree hopper step? How did it break and where?

1D101169-D97C-4B18-831B-3C6B7CB0859A.jpeg44837518-423E-457A-A6AA-A71B6AB797E9.jpeg
Broke while practicing in my back yard. Used as a ring of steps put side pressure on it to move around the tree snapped that thin wing. Sounded like a .22 going off. Slipped off a scraped the hell out of my shin. Contacted the company...Mark was super nice gave me a full refund. Great company and service but they need to fix that wing.

Well, That's embarrassing as hell! First didn't recognize my own design, second I never printed that design (meant to never did). That being said "[B]wayne r[/B]" Really appreciate the feed back, Now I have to try it. and thanks for giving everyone the heads up. Also if you have Ideas to make better by all means let me know be happy to update design.
PM sent to you with my thoughts and additions but these are worth tweeking, there is zero side movement, these are very nice with my printer settings I tried to break a half printed one before making the full step and it wouldn't break. Printing these did take some time but it does it's own thing so no big shakes, lastly there where some comment's about PETG breaking but the biggest issue I found with PETG initially was don't use a parts fan and go hot with the nozzle, I am printing at 255 deg c with no quality issues after my testing I found this gives maximum adhesion between layers, this and printing layed flat to the bed works nicely, regards wayne

Back