• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

500 (est.) year old bow found in an Alaskan Lake

What I think is neat about this is if you want to get into making your own bows, this is a for sure ancient but effective design for one. That thing must have been a pup to draw. Look at how thick it is. The craziest thing is the curators believe it was made out of spruce???? Who would have thunk it??

That looks pretty standard for a self bow. Looks like the thickness of a hickory bow pretty normal. Spruce would be a surprising material. But if it’s a guess, I’d guess another wood would’ve been in the trade network. I’ve killed far more pope and young with longbows than modern bows ;) so it’s generally the hunter not the equipment

That looks pretty standard for a self bow. Looks like the thickness of a hickory bow pretty normal. Spruce would be a surprising material. But if it’s a guess, I’d guess another wood would’ve been in the trade network. I’ve killed far more pope and young with longbows than modern bows ;) so it’s generally the hunter not the equipment
Alaskan lake area, so maybe cedar or yew? Yew would be my money bet.

Sadly, they will never probably string that bow because now it is considered an historic "artifact."

Back