• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

7 min platform

gcr0003

SH Member
I bought a saddle on whim and was in a pinch for a platform to be able to hunt this past weekend so I threw this dreadful contraption together. I tested it out before hitting the woods. It worked surprisingly well. I will be making a safer model soon, just looking for ideas. I don’t weld and I’m not spending the money on a XOP/LW seat. What other ideas do y’all have?229B0F2E-C70B-41F8-9C04-ED42C133AFE7.jpeg43C5AEF5-9F04-47A1-A9D7-845B2E8F0A39.jpegC40370C3-292A-4136-983C-65B167025DA9.jpeg

As long as your tethered in before stepping on it make sure there’s no slack then the worse that happens is it falls out under your feet. For the price it would’ve costed me to order most the parts to build one and the time invested. I found it easier to just order one. Ridge runner and podium are a couple of the cheaper options.

I bought a saddle on whim and was in a pinch for a platform to be able to hunt this past weekend so I threw this dreadful contraption together. I tested it out before hitting the woods. It worked surprisingly well. I will be making a safer model soon, just looking for ideas. I don’t weld and I’m not spending the money on a XOP/LW seat. What other ideas do y’all have?View attachment 20832View attachment 20833View attachment 20834
I love the ingenuity of mankind! Go for it bro!

One of those on either side of the tree and you have yourself a nice walkaround platform.

Obviously you haven’t been a saddle hunter long. By 2020 the money will start flowing out of your bank account toward saddle gear. You will actually start paying more for DIY gear than commercially made gear. Lol
Just joking, kind of. We just never seem satisfied and most people start out just as you are. I like the creative thinking. Should work fine.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised I'm not getting bashed for this hunk of junk. With all the positive responses I'll likely just make upgrades to the current platform. I need to add some traction to the ole 2 by 4. I might add some traction to the flats of the triangles that touch the tree as well. They gripped relatively well, but contained a little wobble when on the edge.

Stay tuned.

I like it! Looks like some of the treestands I started out hunting from. Scrap wood from construction site dumpsters worked great for years!

I actually use to use the Triangle 2X6s for climbing steps before I purchase lone wolf sticks. They worked great for climbing but by themselves as a ring of steps they tend to want to kick out.

You basically made a 2×4 treesuit platform. Actually is probably pretty strong. I wouldn't step on it without being Tethrd in, but I can see stealing your idea for a preset or two
a tree suit what?

Ahh yea it looks just like that.
That design, with the support under the platform and resting against the tree, is WAY better than a folding, camming platform. Much sturdier. The camming platforms are derived from hang on stands, which are much stouter and use cables as reinforcement. Take away those cables and shave away as much material as folks are doing now, and you run into some problems. Either it breaks, flexes, or the standoffs pull away. I put a 6'8", corn-fed BIL of mine on a diy aluminum treesuit clone and it didn't budge.

Very nice, and what MR Buster of Nutters said. My aluminium version of someones version of a treesuit platform is rock solid. Doesnt budge under my big ol' self.

Well the platform was disassembled and reconfigured. I doubled up the leg support, added a push point, then finally shingles for grip. I don’t expect much life out of it but it should get the job done this weekend. The shingles bite really well though, such an improvement. We are now up to 7 minutes on this build.

BB8053A8-7DE3-48C9-9A30-7A444889542A.jpegD81E5AFE-5F93-49EF-A84E-5EEA8AA6F680.jpeg3E35E618-4760-4BE5-AFF6-CF897EFDFA09.jpeg

Attachments

• 1BB196FC-5D3F-4319-83C8-ED7EAD21EDAF.jpeg
    1BB196FC-5D3F-4319-83C8-ED7EAD21EDAF.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 4B01EA23-F46B-4E77-B5A4-0CC7AE01470B.jpeg
    4B01EA23-F46B-4E77-B5A4-0CC7AE01470B.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 51
Back