• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

A typical hunt set up for me this year. (Single Stick Climb Video)

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
I thought I'd put together a video of the single stick climbing method, tree setup and descent I used this year. I have some more detailed videos I'm still processing and will upload later. I hope you enjoy.

Edit: Added a couple of links to more detailed videos with descriptions of the methods.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Single stick looks pretty interesting and not as intimidating as I had imagined.

Thanks for posting. Single stick looks pretty interesting and not as intimidating as I had imagined.
I think everything that seem hard is easier than you think, and everything that seems easy and straightforward is a lot tougher - at least for climbing methods.

And I guess that would make sense - why else would people come up with this stuff?

I
Picked up an SRT setup with an eye to run a bunch of non-piercing presets, but the rappel setup also opens my eyes to a lot of methods I'd dismissed largely due to perceptions of difficulty at the end of hunt.

Last edited:
Great video. Do you have another loop tied into your tether line that your right foot is in to use before stepping into the aider loop on the stick with your left? What descending device/s are you using?

Great video. Do you have another loop tied into your tether line that your right foot is in to use before stepping into the aider loop on the stick with your left? What descending device/s are you using?
No other foot loop than the aider. I have another video in process detailing the climb method some more. Hopefully I can get is it finished and posted tomorrow. I'm using the Madrock Safeguard currently but I have used a GriGri2 and a Madrock Lifeguard as well.

If you didn't notice I managed to get the detailed videos uploaded tonight. They're up in the original post.

Hey Joe,
Great video on your system, thanks for sharing. Are you using a turkey hunting vest/pack? I'll have to dig mine out as I was thinking of using my turkey vest as well with the built-in butt pad for my knees.
Thanks again from the bottom of the mitt.
Bill

Hey Joe,
Great video on your system, thanks for sharing. Are you using a turkey hunting vest/pack? I'll have to dig mine out as I was thinking of using my turkey vest as well with the built-in butt pad for my knees.
Thanks again from the bottom of the mitt.
Bill
Yes, I've doubled dutied that vest for many years even going back to my climber days. I like that it keeps everything where I can readily find it and putting stuff in the front pockets balances the load between front and back on the shoulder straps. Also I can access things in it without taking it off. The padding the back is a bonus I just discovered this year.

I've heard the rappel on a Safeguard is rather jerky, yours seemed smooth--what's the secret (or have I heard wrong)?

I've heard the rappel on a Safeguard is rather jerky, yours seemed smooth--what's the secret (or have I heard wrong)?
Fat man on a string?:laughing: Seriously, I have used the GriGri2 and both of the Madrock descenders and the GriGri is definitely a little smoother on descent. However, not enough to outweigh all the other benefits of the Safeguard. I have compared the two and there is a subtle difference on the cam shape, especially on the rope exit point where it is pinched, between the two manufacturers. The GriGri tapers out more which probably lends itself to a more gradual load application smoothing the descent. That said, I'm only rappelling 25feet on average. I can live with the difference.

Thanks for adding how to get around branches. That was my big question. Carabineer attached to hook up the rope.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I moved to a carabiner once I was sure I could place it without cross loading it. You need to make sure that you're not applying a cross load. The tether loop is a potential single point failure. I started with a threaded oval quick link and that works well too, just takes a few seconds longer. I still use the quick link for SRT applications where I'm not physically placing the carabiner where I want it every time.

Thanks for clarifying. I noticed that you specifically mentioned not to side load in the video. Now to price out the supplies!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I've had several PMs now asking for a breakdown of the gear I used but didn't detail in the video so I'll add it here for future reference.

Ascender/Rappel Device
: Madrock Safeguard (I bought this direct from Madrock)
Rope: The rope I'm using in the video is a 40 ft length of a discontinued color of Teufelberger Tachyon 11.5mm (Wesspur). I also use Samson Predator (Wesspur) for this as well. I bought the Tachyon with a sliced eye. I splice my own Predator but if you're not familiar with splicing its worth the extra splice charge.
Climbing Stick Mods: The Hawk Helium climbing stick was modified by cutting about 6" off it, removing a set of steps and redilling and relocating the middle set near the end. I found the process for this here on the forum. I replaced the stock strap with a 6 ft piece of 8mm Samson Accessory cord tied arounds the stick with a figure 8 on a bight. I added a Harken Cam-Matic 150 cam cleat to provide a means for attach/release at arms length.(West Marine).
Aider: The aider is a 1" solid color polyester webbing (strapworks) that is water knotted to create a continuous loop that is wrapped around the top stick standoff. I just slipped an 8-10in piece of plastic tubing over it to hold if open for my foot (basement junk pile).

Hope this helps answer some of the questions.

Back