• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding a cleat to HH stick

diuilin

If anyone has added a Harken Micro-cam cleat to a Hawk Helium stick, can you share any details? What size hardware, holes, and rope? Where on the stick did you place it? Thanks

I installed a Harken 150 on my HH.

#10-24x2-½” stainless machine screws plus washers and nylon locking nuts.

Mounted here at @always89y recommendation - working well so far but only a couple short hangs.

d6e624cb87ce1694c80d7b0eaa2c30e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a cut down helium at 18” and was considering trying a cleat

I got a cut down helium at 18” and was considering trying a cleat

This is my first year on sticks so nothing to compare to but it’s super easy.

Stacking might be something to think about - I’m one sticking so not a concern.

Also gotta get comfortable with weight ratings. I don’t remember exactly but the micro cleats were only rated at like 150-350# working load. Other threads have explanation that justifies the micro cleat using free body calculations - looked like it made sense but the physics was over my head so for my own piece of mind I just went with the full size Harken 150.

Other than that it seems like a no brainer so far.

Wouldn’t use the micro. Not rated high enough. Go with the Harken 150.

Wouldn’t use the micro. Not rated high enough. Go with the Harken 150.
I can see that point, but Rebel_1125 explains in another post why the load would be so distributed that the cam would take only a small portion of the weight (having to do mainly with the fact that half the weight is supported by the fixed end of the rope and only the other half in the cam. Maybe I'll go ahead and order a 150, because why not (except I guess the sticks don't stack well with the bigger cleat), but a lot of guys say they use the micro.

I don’t disagree at all, I just would tend to go on the safety side and not worry about it. But I do like the micro myself, I just would be confident safety wise. It would probably work but not willing to take the chance. Good luck

I installed a Harken 150 on my HH.

#10-24x2-½” stainless machine screws plus washers and nylon locking nuts.

Mounted here at @always89y recommendation - working well so far but only a couple short hangs.

d6e624cb87ce1694c80d7b0eaa2c30e8.jpg

Thanks for that picture -- very helpful. It's good to see that the bolt spacing is different on the 150 and the micro, which is only about 1 inch.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is the platform mounted to your stick? I like the idea of a one piece design like that.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is the platform mounted to your stick? I like the idea of a one piece design like that.

Artisan Outdoor Fabricators platform. I like it cus the platform is towards the tree/over the stand off so it’s still easy to use it as a 2nd step when climbing.

Back