• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Adding bibs after I’m hooked up

Holy moly, I might be late to this idea but I hate walking/ climbing in my bibs so I usually pack them in them dress at the tree. This morning is was 35 so I had layers on. This afternoon it was just too dang hot, 55*F, to wear much more than a light layer while walking a mile back to a stand so I packed a coat and bibs in. It took over an hour to cool down once up the tree so I added he coat and thought I’d tough out not using the bibs. Well the wind picked up and got chilly in a hurry so I thought about putting the bibs over my saddle. I have a set that has 1/2 leg zips and 1/2 zip in front. So I threwbthennover the legs and opened the front zip and stuffed my saddle pouches and all as far as they go into the bibs. I sipped the front zipper up a bit and snapped the top button under my bridge. While it’s not perfect I think it’ll be what I do from now on. My jacket ends up going into the bibs a bit but that’s fine by me. Anyone else do this?

Holy moly, I might be late to this idea but I hate walking/ climbing in my bibs so I usually pack them in them dress at the tree. This morning is was 35 so I had layers on. This afternoon it was just too dang hot, 55*F, to wear much more than a light layer while walking a mile back to a stand so I packed a coat and bibs in. It took over an hour to cool down once up the tree so I added he coat and thought I’d tough out not using the bibs. Well the wind picked up and got chilly in a hurry so I thought about putting the bibs over my saddle. I have a set that has 1/2 leg zips and 1/2 zip in front. So I threwbthennover the legs and opened the front zip and stuffed my saddle pouches and all as far as they go into the bibs. I sipped the front zipper up a bit and snapped the top button under my bridge. While it’s not perfect I think it’ll be what I do from now on. My jacket ends up going into the bibs a bit but that’s fine by me. Anyone else do this?

I’ve never tried that but I sure have thought about and wished I had. That’s got to be quite a struggle up in the tree huh? My dad used to say “like two pigs fighting in a burlap sack”?

I just don’t know if my bibs have enough room for my saddle and everything to fit in there. It sure would beat sweating all the way up the tree and then getting colder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have put on pants in the tree, as well as a hbs. Its all about having a platform and diy saddle/rc harness. I hook up my lineman belt to my rc harness and can take my saddle off or raise it up as needed. Works great. Tip, when you take off your boots, do them 1 at a time and connect your bow rope to it. That way if you nock it off the platform, you can retrieve it.

Another thing you do is get some chaps. I have a pair,of Filsons that can slide over you boots. It will protect your legs and help keep the heat in.

Actua
I’ve never tried that but I sure have thought about and wished I had. That’s got to be quite a struggle up in the tree huh? My dad used to say “like two pigs fighting in a burlap sack”?

I just don’t know if my bibs have enough room for my saddle and everything to fit in there. It sure would beat sweating all the way up the tree and then getting colder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually it’s not that Bad. I use screw in steps and as long as you open the zippers first the boots slide right in. If I had an actual saddle and not my diy sitdrag rch monstrosity with 2 huge pouches it’d sure fit inside the bibs a lot better

Actua

Actually it’s not that Bad. I use screw in steps and as long as you open the zippers first the boots slide right in. If I had an actual saddle and not my diy sitdrag rch monstrosity with 2 huge pouches it’d sure fit inside the bibs a lot better

Ditch the pouches, a SD is a minimalist saddle. Hang the ropes around your shoulder. Pouches are extra weight ya don't need. Everyone tried to copy trophyline, but they use belts which pack small.

It would take me a helluva lot less time to climb down and put on bibs than to try to put them on while in the saddle, not to mention the obvious safety implications. :)

It would take me a helluva lot less time to climb down and put on bibs than to try to put them on while in the saddle, not to mention the obvious safety implications. :)

Most studys show tree stand accidents happen during the climb, but I dont think changing clothes in the stand has been studied. :tonguewink::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Ditch the pouches, a SD is a minimalist saddle. Hang the ropes around your shoulder. Pouches are extra weight ya don't need. Everyone tried to copy trophyline, but they use belts which pack small.[/QUOTE
I agree with you there. But I haven’t played with my set up enough in the off season to nail down a system I like without pouches. I wear my saddle/ pouches in usually and didn’t like my linesman’s daisy chained and catching brush. I put itnin a pouch with my tether and pull up rope. I keep my screw-in steps( ROS) in the other side pouch. But heavy but still way better than a 15-20 lb stand that I can’t get into every tree.

Back