• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice for grade 8 newbie

CRogers

Anyone use a cordless drill to pre drill trees? Got permission to hunt a small piece of private and I'm wanting to have a few pre set locations. What size bolts/bit does everyone use? Thanks in advance

Many of us do this often... especially in the off season for me. I own the EZ Kut and Treehopper cordless drill bits as well as the hand drill kits. They allow you to use a 3/8in bolt. I use hex head bolts 6in long... they kick ass.

I've seen the tree hopper bits, need to get one. Do you plasti dip your bolts?

Kreg jig bit is what I've been using for experimenting in the back yard. Works well for me.

I've seen the tree hopper bits, need to get one. Do you plasti dip your bolts?
Its not really needed for pre sets but for bolts that I carry in my pack during hunts I use marine grade heat shrink tube. 3:1 shrink ratio. I get it in 1/2" so it will cover the edge of allen heads. I grind my hex heads round...it takes less than a minute...basically just round them off and 1/2" shrink tube will fit. 1/2" shrink tube won't fit over a hex head so I round them.
Don't waste your time with dipping bolts. Its messy, takes time between coats, ya gotta hang them somehow while they dry and it isn't durable.
Shrink tube (good quality kind with adhesive built in) wears like iron. Cut it to the length of the exposed bolt...not what goes into the tree. In less than 1 minute, the bolt is ready to use with no mess. Can't say that with plastic dip.

Its not really needed for pre sets but for bolts that I carry in my pack during hunts I use marine grade heat shrink tube. 3:1 shrink ratio. I get it in 1/2" so it will cover the edge of allen heads. I grind my hex heads round...it takes less than a minute...basically just round them off and 1/2" shrink tube will fit. 1/2" shrink tube won't fit over a hex head so I round them.
Don't waste your time with dipping bolts. Its messy, takes time between coats, ya gotta hang them somehow while they dry and it isn't durable.
Shrink tube (good quality kind with adhesive built in) wears like iron. Cut it to the length of the exposed bolt...not what goes into the tree. In less than 1 minute, the bolt is ready to use with no mess. Can't say that with plastic dip.

You only need to dip once. Bolts hold great with a clothes pin on a line. Plastic dip by going from bolt to bolt with the can never had a plasti dip wear off. No grinding of the bolt head is necessary. Plasti dip keeps bolts quiet too.
That said, I may try your shrink wrap. Where do you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've dipped bolts in plastidip, sprayed them with bedliner, and @Allegheny Tom was nice enough to send me some with the shrink tubing. The tubing is hands-down better. This year I plan on using carbon bolts to climb, and three shrink wrapped bolts as a top platform. Rolled up in an Allen cartridge holder, it packs about the size and weight of a beer can for both climbing method and "platform."

You cant beat that in my book.

Any cordless drill and make sure you buy an Irwin brand 3/8 inch wood bit (with small screw on end with cost of about $8 for one bit) and use 3/8 inch X 10 inch long spikes which can be purchased at independent hardware stores for about $100 per 50 pound box. If you weigh less than 170 pounds a single spike will support you if you keep your foot tight to the tree when climbing, if over 170 you may want to consider doubling them up. I've had a Tree Hopper hand drill since they were introduced in the late 70's or in the 80's and they take a much longer time to drill a 3/8 inch hole than a cordless drill and I assume you want to pre-set your locations instead of freelancing for each hunt and a cordless drill is the only way to go and make sure to take an extra battery with you. The Tree Hopper works great but is much slower and when you are preparing trees, getting the job properly done with the least amount of effort is the plan as you will at times be in very compromising positions.

Any cordless drill and make sure you buy an Irwin brand 3/8 inch wood bit (with small screw on end with cost of about $8 for one bit) and use 3/8 inch X 10 inch long spikes which can be purchased at independent hardware stores for about $100 per 50 pound box. If you weigh less than 170 pounds a single spike will support you if you keep your foot tight to the tree when climbing, if over 170 you may want to consider doubling them up. I've had a Tree Hopper hand drill since they were introduced in the late 70's or in the 80's and they take a much longer time to drill a 3/8 inch hole than a cordless drill and I assume you want to pre-set your locations instead of freelancing for each hunt and a cordless drill is the only way to go and make sure to take an extra battery with you. The Tree Hopper works great but is much slower and when you are preparing trees, getting the job properly done with the least amount of effort is the plan as you will at times be in very compromising positions.
Good to see you on here again! I need to look at the spikes. Grade 8 bolts add up when you're buying them by the hundred.

Back