• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice for new trad hunters

CRogers

Considering picking up a trad bow sometime this year. Anyone use both a compound and traditional? What are the pros and cons to shooting both?

It wouldn't be I was just curious if it would be hard to adjust between the two. Like if I got to shooting a lot with a trad bow would it mess up my form with my compound and vice versa.

It will make your compound shooting better. It’s the same fundamentals.

It will make your compound shooting better. It’s the same fundamentals.
That's what I always thought. I think I'd enjoy it. Been wanting to get a recurve for quite a while now.

I shot my first deer with traditional gear last season. I came home and sold all of my compound stuff. You may shoot both for a while but you’ll go full trad eventually.
Lol that's what everyone says. What poundage did you start with?

I'm not sure there are many pro's to shooting a trad bow. Maybe bow weight. I switched after shooting a compound for years because I wanted the extra challenge. I absolutely loved it for the first couple years. Managed to take a mature buck with mine and quite a few does. I guess after some success, wounding a buck, and now having less time to hunt it's kinda lost it appeal to me. This last year I stalked to within 35 yards of my target buck and that was all the closer I could get with the terrain. Easily a 160 class buck with a bunch of kickers. He was tending a doe and didn't move for a good 15 minutes. I still question what I could have done differently in the situation. I've had quite a few bucks just out of range with my trad bow. Never been confident over 25 with it. I recommend trying it and power to the people that hunt with them. It truly is a fun challenge. With that being said. I sold mine this last year and purchased an Elite again. I think I'm getting soft... Or I'm too much of a trophy hunter... I guess we all set our own challenges for ourselves. If you want to hunt trad I recommend you try it.

I just got a recurve after shooting compound and can tell you its fun but humbling. It may be a year or two of solid practice before I commit to hunting with it.

I will say though I've hardly shot my compound since I got the recurve but wine I have, seems like I havent skipped a step.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure there are many pro's to shooting a trad bow. Maybe bow weight. I switched after shooting a compound for years because I wanted the extra challenge. I absolutely loved it for the first couple years. Managed to take a mature buck with mine and quite a few does. I guess after some success, wounding a buck, and now having less time to hunt it's kinda lost it appeal to me. This last year I stalked to within 35 yards of my target buck and that was all the closer I could get with the terrain. Easily a 160 class buck with a bunch of kickers. He was tending a doe and didn't move for a good 15 minutes. I still question what I could have done differently in the situation. I've had quite a few bucks just out of range with my trad bow. Never been confident over 25 with it. I recommend trying it and power to the people that hunt with them. It truly is a fun challenge. With that being said. I sold mine this last year and purchased an Elite again. I think I'm getting soft... Or I'm too much of a trophy hunter... I guess we all set our own challenges for ourselves. If you want to hunt trad I recommend you try it.

I am in an identical situation. I found that I am more interested in a successful hunt than I am in the weapon. I spent 6 years with only recurves. The lack of spare time (3 young kids), the wounded deer, and the fact that you will have less opportunity have turned me off trad for now.

I am in an identical situation. I found that I am more interested in a successful hunt than I am in the weapon. I spent 6 years with only recurves. The lack of spare time (3 young kids), the wounded deer, and the fact that you will have less opportunity have turned me off trad for now.
I watched a video called the push on you tube learned how to use a fixed crawl while shooting my long bow made a huge difference for not.instive but im
way more accurate that way

I watched a video called the push on you tube learned how to use a fixed crawl while shooting my long bow made a huge difference for not.instive but im
way more accurate that way

Yeah, I was never instinctive. I stringwalk and never had a problem with accuracy as long as I made time to practice. It’s just not as effective of a weapon. No matter what trad gear is going to be a handicap.

Cons:
-Slow speed (increased string jump)
-Hard to keep consistent form in hunting situations hurting accuracy
-typically need more space to shoot (longer bow)
-lots of practice
-short range

Pros:
-Fun
-better draw control when hunting
-can be lighter (mine wasn’t)

Self satisfaction is the main pro to trad gear. My 1st year trying it out, I would take my compound if I thought I had a 30 yard or more shot. And take the trad bow if I was confident I had a close shot. It didn’t take many hunts that I didn’t want to carry a compound any more. I wanted that 1st trad kill so bad I was obsessed with it. I knew if I had my compound, I’d have a deer at 5 yards. I knew I wouldn’t get a trad kill if I was hunting with a compound. It was a long road. Didn’t come easy. But when I finally killed the 1st, there was nothing like it. I was a kid again killing my 1st deer. Every kill since has meant so much more than a compound.
Don’t worry about switching back and forth. Like said before. Shooting trad bows makes you a lot better compound shooter.

Good luck. If you have any questions getting set up, feel free to pm me.

I just got a recurve after shooting compound and can tell you its fun but humbling. It may be a year or two of solid practice before I commit to hunting with it.

I will say though I've hardly shot my compound since I got the recurve but wine I have, seems like I havent skipped a step.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
That may be me too. I don't know how long it will take me before I decide to hunt with it but I'd like to give it a try.

Lol that's what everyone says. What poundage did you start with?
I inherited my granddads old Ben Pearson when he passed away. It was 55# @28”. My draw is 27” so I am only pulling 52-53. 45# is plenty enough to kill a deer and most will tell you to start at a lower poundage but if you’re in shape and have good bow form from shooting compound you’ll be fine shooting higher poundage.

I don't know if this is true or not but I've heard some people say 10-15 lbs lighter than what you can comfortably shoot a compound at. I'm a 29.5" draw at 60# with my compound. Would 45-50# be a good starting point for a traditional bow?

I personally would go with something 30-35 to start with. Then work my way into some hunting weight limbs. I would go with an ILF setup. Trad is all about solid form repetition and you won’t be doing much of it with anything but light weight to start. Your form will collapse as soon as you get tired.

I shoot 48lb recurve and 70lb compound. It is completely different when it comes to holding weight. I know you want to buy a bow you can hunt with but you will regret not going lighter for your first bow. That is why I suggest an ILF rig that allows you to swap limbs but use the same riser.

Tradtech, Morrison, Dryad, Win&Win, sammick Border, Hoyt. Just find the riser you like in 17 or 19” and get some cheap light weight SF Axiom limbs for now.

Back