• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice for possible new Traditional hunter

Slabzilla73

SH Member
Ive always wanted to shoot a deer with a long bow or recurve. Call it a Bucket list thing.
Ive been watching local auction sites for a bow to purchase. Seem to be going for $30-$100.
My question is, what am I looking for, as far as bow quality or how much life is left in the bow. Delamination, splits, etc?? There are days before the auction that I can go examine before I bid.
And how much is too much?
Ive attached some pics for reference. This is no rush issue but maybe for next season.
Thanks in advance to all who respond, I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718-131109_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718-131109_Chrome.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230718-131059_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718-131059_Chrome.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230718-131044_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718-131044_Chrome.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 39
First off, stay away from the ones that are strung backwards like the first one. Personal peave.

Find something about 45#. As long as the lamination are good and it strings true (no limb twist) anything will work. Older bows with flat shelves don't tune as easy imo, but there are ways around it...I mean they made them that way for years. Longer draw lengths like longer bows to eliminate string pinch.

Get yourself a takedown. ILF is nice but any takedown would do. Start with 35-40 lbs limbs. The. When you are better with it, get 45lbs for hunting.

While some bows are nicer than other, honestly something that was CNC shoot just as well as a handmade one.

If you like to support smallish business instead of big companies. 3rivers sell good bows.

But my advice is to go buy a Black Hunter Elite from Big Jim Bow Company site. It's around $140. It's a good looking bow that will shoot very well. Or else Big Jim wouldn't stock it.

@Slabzilla73 this isnt really pointed at you, just your post triggered this thought. I have never once seen someone say, "I have this bucket list hunt in mind, what is the cheapest rifle that would get me by?" I dont understand the thought process that causes that question with trad bows but I have seen it more times than I can count lol.

Back to topic, I agree with the recommendations of the black hunter or an entry level ILF setup. The BH will be less expensive is to purchase and I cant recall ever hearing a bad word about them. ILF gives a little more room for customization to the shooter and you can upgrade limbs a little cheaper, at least early on. Both really good options that will serve you well and with hunting weight limbs will kill anything you want to hunt in North America.

Do you know anyone local who shoots trad or are there and trad archery shoots in your area? The best advice I can give is to try and put your hands on several different bows and see if one style calls to you. If you find the right local person to help you it will make a world of difference.

After emergency surgery to save my right hand I was no longer able to shoot my 60lb. Bear takedown so began the search for a lower pound bow. I decided to give the Black Hunter longbow with 45lb limbs a try and could not be happier with the performance.

Attachments

• 71EEEAD3-1A4F-41AA-B006-6BD894638248.jpeg
    71EEEAD3-1A4F-41AA-B006-6BD894638248.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 25
DO NOT OVER BOW YOURSELF !!!
I have helped run a 3-D shoot since 1990 and have seen guys show up way over bowed after switching from compounds and become discouraged quickly because their accuracy was very poor, all due to not developing the correct form first.
Start with lighter poundage limbs, 30 -35 is a good start, you need to develop your form first.
As mentioned above the Big Jim's, Black Hunter or ILF riser is a good start.
I would stay with the recurve, to start with, 60- 64" long, as there are more options (risers & limbs) available.
There is a lot of good information on the interweb regarding form and technique.
Good luck on your journey, this can be a deep rabbit hole............... but fun.

Thanks for the replies. Been working so thats why Im just now responding. I guess i was just gonna start with one to see if I liked it first. I will take your advice & and start with a lower #'s.

I am kinda in the same boat. I was given a loaner bow, 54#@28" and that was too much to practice form with and very discouraging. I purchased a Sage with 25lb limbs a couple months back and I am also watching Tom Clum's videos on proper shooting fundamentals. I still suck at this point but it is getting better everyday. Not pushing a brand but I highly recommend lower poundage to start out with. And since you are just getting started, you don't have any bad form to undo... so find a good shooting fundamentals course to watch. Good luck to you!!!

Get a low poundage bow 25-30 pounds and practice a ton. A Samick Sage or Southwest Archery Spyder is a good start. Then buy heavier limbs or go buy a used old bow from RMS Gear, they’re great.

I like old bear bows for starters. You’ll pay more than an Amazon special, but the history is there. RMS gear has a good selection. My favorite starter bow is a bodnik slick stick. Lifetime warranty and get your money out of it if you don’t like trad.

Last edited:
Back