• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Advice on restoring old recurve

KYHunter

I picked up an (I’m assuming) older Ben Pearson Cougar for $35 at flea market. Looks to be in relatively good shape other than some surface dings and scratches. No sign of twisted limbs, delamination or cracks.

I’m wanting to refinish the bow because the coating is yellowed and coming off in some spots. Any advice on where to begin? I’m thinking just some light sanding to get the existing coat off and then coat it in Linseed and then polyurethane?

I picked up an (I’m assuming) older Ben Pearson Cougar for $35 at flea market. Looks to be in relatively good shape other than some surface dings and scratches. No sign of twisted limbs, delamination or cracks.

I’m wanting to refinish the bow because the coating is yellowed and coming off in some spots. Any advice on where to begin? I’m thinking just some light sanding to get the existing coat off and then coat it in Linseed and then polyurethane?
[/QUOTE
Did it come with a string? Because you really need to string it to see if the limbs are twisted! Sometimes they look good until you put tension on them with the string! As far as the finish you are pretty much right on with a lite sanding and you can use polyurethane but they make something that is made special for the finish on bows but I cannot think of it right now! Maybe someone else can tell you! Good luck and take your time!

Strip the old finish then tru oil all the way! 3-5 coats easy wipe on application...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is tru oil compatible with fiberglass and the adhesive utilized in the laminating process?
I would likely contact a bowyer for advice if I was attempting a restoration.
Norkal

Thanks for the input guys! Hopefully a few more chime in as well

Use orange cleaner..lightly scrub the finish off..do several times..if you still have pesky finish..lightly scrape with thin razor blade slowly..wipe off with rubbing alcohol..tape section in handle to hold then you can use either tru oil..poly or spar urethane..or spend the bucks on thunderbird finish you can get on 3 rivers archery..key is light coats let dry completly..lightly sand with fine grit paper or buff then wipe off residue with clean lint free rag..then do more coats follow procedure..do as many as you like..i use tru oil because it penetrates the wood nicely..do several light and i mean light coats fiberglass maybe 3 light coats on glass and 6 or 7 on wood
.let dry then shoot the heck out of it...ive done 100s of bows like this..no problems..if you use thunderbird or other dedicated bow finishes..get a sprayer unit..theres some cheaper versions out there..but for the money tru oil works fine..they did it this way for years before good bow finishes were developed..they all work, some finishes will yellow the finish or crazing develops..just redo if your not satisfied..can go to tradgang.com and check the bow building forum and ask as well....good luck

I have always used minwax clear spray finish. Really easy and inexpensive to use w/good results but probably not as good as the Thunderbird, just less hassle and expense

So I’ve got the finish off and down to the glass and wood. I tried not to over do it. Any risk that the tiller is thrown off from the sanding?

It’s also got a hole in the riser where the guy had a sight or something. Best way to fill that?

So I’ve got the finish off and down to the glass and wood. I tried not to over do it. Any risk that the tiller is thrown off from the sanding?

It’s also got a hole in the riser where the guy had a sight or something. Best way to fill that?
Wood filler that is close to the same color. And as long as you didn't get to aggressive with the sanding the tiller shouldn't be affected!

Back