• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aerohunter Kestrel Users

How many of you guys are still rocking with the Kestrel? I see all these new saddles that I wouldn't mind trying but can't see it being that big an improvement. I have been using the Kestrel since the 2018 season. I'm 5'11, 170 pounds and the size 1 seems to work great for me. I pretty much wear it in on every hunt, even if I'm trekking over a mile. I almost got in on the Merlin preorder hype but decided not to. Last year I did turn my stock rope bridge into an adjustable bridge, using the Aerohunter prusik and tender that used to be on my linemans (used a ropeman there since the beginning.) I did pick up the 8mm oplux tether and kong duck to reduce bulk before this season. The one saddle I wouldn't mind trying would be the original flex. But I can sit in my Kestrel for hours on end with no issues. I'm wondering if Aerohunter jumped the gun a bit discontinuing the Kestrel and original Flex.

I started with the 1st gen Flex, but ended up ordering the regular Kestrel and liking it more.

I’m still running the OG kestrel. Currently have a JX3 and have had a mantis. Think I’m going to make my own recon. Haven’t tried any of the new ones, but don’t see a reason why. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Im still using my kestrel kite which is just the mesh version. I’m the same size as you and use a size one as well. I’ve never sat in any other saddle because I can’t imagine anything working any better for me. I was very disappointed when they discontinued them. Wish I’d had a heads up I’d bought at lest one backup.

I’m still running the OG kestrel. Currently have a JX3 and have had a mantis. Think I’m going to make my own recon. Haven’t tried any of the new ones, but don’t see a reason why. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I’ve had a JX3 for over a year now but only a couple sits. Main issue is I haven’t wanted to redo my whole pack setup for it. I’d like to do some late season cold weather sits in it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting in first batch kestrel now. Well leaning. Had a spot that requires I stand the whole time and the hybrid doesn’t make sense. I feel dirty.

but, to answer your question, I am tinkering at home with a recon. I’ve tried lots of newer saddles, none are different enough to give up the kestrel. And none usually make sense over hybrid. But every once in a while... does this kestrel make my butt look big?

4225F56B-BE31-4D89-85B4-FB6795A7EEDF.jpeg

I'm still using the kestrel. I've added an adjustable bridge. As far as comfort I have yet to try anything better and I still think the kestrel is the most comfortable saddle that has ever been made (outside of guido's and jx3). I am also disappointed that they quit making them.

I’ve had a JX3 for over a year now but only a couple sits. Main issue is I haven’t wanted to redo my whole pack setup for it. I’d like to do some late season cold weather sits in it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is my biggest hurdle. I took the jx3 opening weekend gun season here in Wisconsin and sat dark to dark. Can’t beat the comfort for all day. But I could’ve done it in the kestrel.

I hunt the kestrel ,that was all aerohunter offered when I bought mine ,tethrd had one saddle I think it was the mantis I. Not sure on that but the only other one I thought about trying is the ess ,looking at it the bridge loops seem to hit in the same spot just different attachments

Sitting in first batch kestrel now. Well leaning. Had a spot that requires I stand the whole time and the hybrid doesn’t make sense. I feel dirty.

but, to answer your question, I am tinkering at home with a recon. I’ve tried lots of newer saddles, none are different enough to give up the kestrel. And none usually make sense over hybrid. But every once in a while... does this kestrel make my butt look big?

View attachment 40739
The only thing that has me thinking I’ll try a recon is they’re easy to make DIY and people love them. I’ll look forward to reading what you think, Kyler.

I got a kestrel. My first saddle. I have no issues with it. I did an all day sit no problem. I did find my self ordering a method on the black Friday sale cause I had to see what the double panel is all about. If I don't like it the kids will be in it soon enough. Or it will be on the classifieds. My only complaint has been it wants to drift down when I climb a tree, which has more to do with the sticks and platform hanging on it.

I started with a Kestrel in 2018 and still use it. I converted it to an adjustable bridge and that's really the only thing I changed.

I really like the Kestrel. Simple, reliable, well built, and comfortable. I've done plenty of all day sits in it. The rugged construction really helped me feel safe and build confidence. It just works.

I bought a Recon this year just out of curiosity given all the rave reviews. It packs down smaller and when properly adjusted it can be very comfortable. However, I also found that when it gets out of position it can be really uncomfortable. I do have to say that I feel safer in the Kestrel with its rated leg straps and belt that holds the saddle in place at all times.

I understand why Aerohunter has to keep offering different saddles to appeal to the market that's always into the latest and greatest. However, I think it's too bad they don't offer the Kestrel any more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I spent 2 seasons in the kestrel until I sold it recently (to free up some cash for more gear and bc I got recon). During those 2 seasons, kestrel was the most comfortable solid panel saddle for me. I just needed something more packable and less weight. (I usually wore kestrel in, but later season got to be too much when I had to pack outer layers, then buckles made too much noise when putting on at the tree). Again, I don’t think the kestrel’s comfort can be beat with most of the newer offerings.

How many of you guys are still rocking with the Kestrel? I see all these new saddles that I wouldn't mind trying but can't see it being that big an improvement. I have been using the Kestrel since the 2018 season. I'm 5'11, 170 pounds and the size 1 seems to work great for me. I pretty much wear it in on every hunt, even if I'm trekking over a mile. I almost got in on the Merlin preorder hype but decided not to. Last year I did turn my stock rope bridge into an adjustable bridge, using the Aerohunter prusik and tender that used to be on my linemans (used a ropeman there since the beginning.) I did pick up the 8mm oplux tether and kong duck to reduce bulk before this season. The one saddle I wouldn't mind trying would be the original flex. But I can sit in my Kestrel for hours on end with no issues. I'm wondering if Aerohunter jumped the gun a bit discontinuing the Kestrel and original Flex.
I just sold my Kestrel because I have an original Flex and a Cruzr XC and a Guido's web and the original Treesuit saddle so I didn't 5 saddles. I didn't need either because the Flex and Cruzr are so comfortable and I liked them better than the Kestrel .

We're practically identical twins, I'm a 5'10" 165lb size1 also.
I've used a Kestrel all season last year and mostly all of this season and to me that saddle was perfect... until I got the Merlin.

I have found the Merlin to be noticeably more comfortable than the Kestrel and for the record I always felt the Kestrel was the most comfortable saddle I've owned or tried.
The Merlin also seems to work better when rappelling for me. When I attach my autoblock to the linesman loop on the Kestrel it seems to cause me to rotate because that side is holding the weight when I stop and hang but where it is located on the Merlin I don't get that rotating effect. And I'm referring to the loops on the waist, not the smaller loop between the bridge loop.

I've always said I don't see how they could improve the Kestrel. This year I planned on buying my son in laws each a Kestrel but found they were no longer available. So I bought them a Merlin. The Merlin looks so intresting that I got one for myself. Still waiting on delivery.

Back