• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aged venison video

One of the advantages of living in the north. I typically hang and skin my deer almost immediately and them I let them hang and age in the back shed with the windows open anywhere from two to three weeks before I finish butchering them, weather permitting. Truth be told its probably as much as about me procrastinating on the butchering task but they look very similar to the video when I get around to it and man is the venison good that way.

Oh no, you don't want a fridge. You want to insulate off a small room and put one of these in so you can hang multiple deer :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Based on my research you shouldn’t just toss the deer in the fridge. I think you need to have a humidity control as well. I have a spare fridge and I’ve been trying to decide if I want to age on ice In a cooler or age in the fridge. Anyone for advice?

Great video.
Im going to try for sure.
I have had aged beef and it’s fantastic so why not deer meat.

I’ve never went 21 days before but usually leave it in the icechest for a week and it already makes a difference over packaging the meat up the next day. Plus I don’t have to scrape the outer layer off. I keep saying I’m gonna try it like the video showed.

Oh no, you don't want a fridge. You want to insulate off a small room and put one of these in so you can hang multiple deer :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Would be sweet, but I’m already out of space at the new house,
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do the same thing in a cooler?

No you can’t. A cooler is considered wet aging, I do it with my deer, usually 7-10 days in a cooler, no ice contact.

The fridge allows air circulation and the ability to wait the extended period for that crust of bacteria to form.

And I’m talking about a ice cooler, if you mean a walk in cooler then yes that be the same as a huge fridge. I know temp is critical too for bacteria, I want to say between 35 and 40 degrees with 38 being the optimum.

I’m no expert, this is just my best top of my head info from things I’ve researched over time

My dad's friend bought a walk in cooler from auction from a restraint that was closing down and selling off all their stuff.... That would be the ultimate.... Gotta have the money and more importantly the space for it thou....

I’ve stored venison 21 days in a vacuum sealed package in the refrigerator (wet aging). It makes a huge difference in taste and tenderness. The only issue I’ve found with wet aging is the muscle continues to bleed which can add flavor that may not be desired.

You can do the same thing in a cooler?

Kinda. It is still aging your meat just in a slightly different way like this video on YouTube. I think if I did it this way I would wrap the meat in bags first but I’m not sure yet bc this method helps remove blood. I’ve done a bunch of YouTube research on both methods and overall my thinking on it is the fridge method is more easy for me to mess up my meat. You really can’t mess up a cooler and ice!

My dad's friend bought a walk in cooler from auction from a restraint that was closing down and selling off all their stuff.... That would be the ultimate.... Gotta have the money and more importantly the space for it thou....

Definitely going to have a walk in cooler in my forever home.

I have heard several people refer to aging in a cooler full of ice as 'wet' aging but I don't think it technically is. For the wet aging process the meat has to be completely cut off from oxygen, like in a vacuum sealed bag.

I have tried both dry and wet aging over the years. I prefer to wet age all of my venison because you don't have all of the meat loss from the rind that develops. Plus you don't need a large cooler to hang your deer. I typically let age for at least 14 days, usually 21-28.

I’ve stored venison 21 days in a vacuum sealed package in the refrigerator (wet aging). It makes a huge difference in taste and tenderness. The only issue I’ve found with wet aging is the muscle continues to bleed which can add flavor that may not be desired.

After I process all of the cuts I let them sit in the fridge on cookie sheets and wire racks overnight. Then I vacuum seal everything the next day and wet age. It helps a lot with the amount of blood in the package.

I tried the cooler aging and maybe I messed up or something cause I felt the quality was less after buying bags of ice and changing out the water everyday for a week...I still got a ham quarter in the freezer so I think I will copy the video and see what happens....

I tried the cooler aging and maybe I messed up or something cause I felt the quality was less after buying bags of ice and changing out the water everyday for a week...I still got a ham quarter in the freezer so I think I will copy the video and see what happens....

I personally have never been a fan of the cooler aging process either. Some guys swear by it but, I can't get past having my venison look like pork from laying in water. I have had a little better luck by sitting the meat on top of frozen milk jugs and swapping them out every couple days. That way the meat isn't in the ice water but, it still wasn't as good as wet aging in vacuum bags.

I personally have never been a fan of the cooler aging process either. Some guys swear by it but, I can't get past having my venison look like pork from laying in water. I have had a little better luck by sitting the meat on top of frozen milk jugs and swapping them out every couple days. That way the meat isn't in the ice water but, it still wasn't as good as wet aging in vacuum bags.
I built a rack to keep the meat just off the water so it wasn't touching.... The first 1i did was laying in the water and I 100% agree that that nice red meat turning gray/white turned me off also.

Back