• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aider advice on EWO one stick.

arrowchukker

I getting ready to pull the trigger on EWO on stick.
Do I go with the ultimaider or the sewn aider? Pro’s and con’s of each?
I’d like to especially like to hear from the taller guys, I’m 6’2”.

I’m 6’1” with a sewn 3 step at 16”. Very happy with it. I don’t see the point in getting anything bigger because this is the perfect size to max out my first step in conjunction with as high as I can get my stick on my first move. Hopefully that makes sense.

I also don’t see the purpose in trying to have bigger steps than 14-17” when working with aiders. I’ve tried to max out steps in the past at 20-22 and regretted it. It’s more effort and less stable.

I never tried an ultimaider but seems excessive and more weight to carry.B457EBC6-B7D6-48B9-BEEC-5C86162E3702.jpeg

Check out this thread, another user was asking these same things just recently:

Check out this thread, another user was asking these same things just recently:

The search button!!!! Lol. Sorry.

Almost 6’2”. Have a sewn aider on my EWO UOS. I’ve used aiders for awhile and know my length so never felt the need to have it adjustable. I keep my steps shorter, 15” as longer aiders can get out of hand pretty quickly. Shorter length helps keep them manageable and helps with kick out. Down side is takes a tiny bit longer to climb but meh. Adjustable might be better for warm vs cold weather climbing when you’re dressed like stay puff marshmallow man and can barely move your legs.

Lol. I've paid less for cars...that ran fine.

And for rifles, bows, etc.

It's a stick. This saddle industry has some serious pricing issues that need ironing out. A pound of pure silver is $300. Do the math on what you're paying for those bits of aluminum and webbing.

Go ahead and hate. It's the truth and I stand by it.

Lol. I've paid less for cars...that ran fine.

And for rifles, bows, etc.

It's a stick. This saddle industry has some serious pricing issues that need ironing out. A pound of pure silver is $300. Do the math on what you're paying for those bits of aluminum and webbing.

Go ahead and hate. It's the truth and I stand by it.
you're entitled to your opinion, we all have them, but the thread's asking about aiders, not your opinion on one stick costs. many people on here (myself included to some extent) are gear whores, it's OK and part of the saddle hunter 0 step program. there's a few that resist, but many of us overbuy, its ok.

i got a one stick at the end of last season, used so i didn't choose the aider, in practice ive found that sometimes it's nice having the steps a bit closer together than if i'd have designed it myself, and that when i'm going up the tree sometimes my foot naturally hits any of the bottom 2 (sometimes even 3) steps of the aider depending on how high i've been able to hang it above me. becauseof this, having the adjustable aiders doesn't make sense to me, they'll never be perfectly where i want them anyway and realistically if the steps are within a foot or so of where i'm expecting it, i can usually stewtch or do a half step to compensate.

counterpoint is that adjustability will correct for some of the change in placement, and i'll likely get more consistent with more practice. i guess what i'm trying to say is in reality i can't tell much real world difference between my 24 inch beast sticks with long cable aiders, my 30 inch hawks with 15 inch steps and a 20 inch aider, and my one stick with ~15 inch steps. the shorter steps are easier with late season layers, but 24 inch beats are do-able, even in lots of clothes, they all get me up the tree.

TL: DR: the adjustability of the ultimaider is something i'd play with once or twice and then set and leave, so i like my nonadjustable sewn on version.

I recently bought an EWO one stick with the UltimAider. After messing with the UltimAider, I absolutely hate it. The metal buckles clank and make too much noise while you're packing it up. Because of this, I'm sending it back and getting the sewn aider.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I recently bought an EWO one stick with the UltimAider. After messing with the UltimAider, I absolutely hate it. The metal buckles clank and make too much noise while you're packing it up. Because of this, I'm sending it back and getting the sewn aider.

David

LOL damit I have a sewn aider on my one stick. Its just a bit to long. I want to get the new ultimate bottom step (or what ever its called) and had my mind set on just getting the UltimAider but I was worried about exactly what you mentioned. Back to dont know what to get,

LOL damit I have a sewn aider on my one stick. Its just a bit to long. I want to get the new ultimate bottom step (or what ever its called) and had my mind set on just getting the UltimAider but I was worried about exactly what you mentioned. Back to dont know what to get,
I'm 5'7" and the step on the UltimAider was initially set at 17", which was fine. But... when I switched to the sewn aider, I went with 15" just because I would rather it be too short than too long. Perhaps you can talk to DanO at EWO and explain that yours is too long and if you can get a shorter one.

David

I’m 6’1”, 32 ish instep. But I’m not super flexible. Tried the Ultimaider before and wasn’t a big fan, it didn’t ever sit quite level, heavy, and even with stealth strips there was some metal on metal.

I have a three step sewn 15” aider now, it’s great. I couldn’t really use more that that 45” anyway while one sticking because I can only reach so high. I don’t really care to adjust the length of the aider, three short steps are my preferred.

I've been using the sewn aiders for a few years now and switched from a 2-step 22" to a 3-step 18" last season. I'm 6'5", so able to stretch out the steps some, but really recommend the 3-step aiders with shorter steps. If you don't need the adjustability, go with the sewn. If you are unsure of your step size or want to change your step distance throughout the season (for bulkier clothing), go with the UltimAider.

Back