• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aiders in hawk heliums

lycokayaker

Hey gang.

I got some new hawk helium sticks in and made up some solders to try and skip buying a single hawk and or extend my range. Watched some videos etc. am I a fool to run my webbing up the holes in the brackets and just tie a simple figure eight knot? My only concern would be running them up the holes. I attached a picture for you to see what I did. The knot is a solid load bearing knot so not worried about that. Thanks for the advice

Bill

Attachments

• E89DC44A-2A7D-4C17-A5F1-D4E8D8F3A590.jpeg
    E89DC44A-2A7D-4C17-A5F1-D4E8D8F3A590.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
personally I like the aider being on the outside of the stick which keeps it just far enough away from the tree to get your foot in.
I don't see where your idea is bad unless others see something I don't.

personally I like the aider being on the outside of the stick which keeps it just far enough away from the tree to get your foot in.
I don't see where your idea is bad unless others see something I don't.
Can you post a picture of how you tie yours up? And locations

mine is a carry as you go (CAYG) meaning, I loop it on the top step, climb to where my feet are on the bottom step, remove aider, set next stick, place on top step, etc...
Gotcha I was wanting fixed. I may have to try your idea and keep a spare in my pack

Here is something I have used. Some people thought it was unsafe but I have used them dozens of times with no problem.
I have since switched to climbing by SRT/RADS but I would use the Helium aiders if needed again. I am not recommending this just reporting what I have used. Decide for yourself.

Here is something I have used. Some people thought it was unsafe but I have used them dozens of times with no problem.
I have since switched to climbing by SRT/RADS but I would use the Helium aiders if needed again. I am not recommending this just reporting what I have used. Decide for yourself.

I did this exact method with my Heliums and ran them for 2 years with great results. I’d just smooth out any rough edges and inspect the webbing before and after each use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine is a carry as you go (CAYG) meaning, I loop it on the top step, climb to where my feet are on the bottom step, remove aider, set next stick, place on top step, etc...
I do this as well. 48" continuous webbing loop

Back