• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Alice Pack

Arkie

SH Member
Does anyone use an Alice pack?
If so, how are they?
I found one on Craigslist for $25, and thought it might be worth a try.
I need a frame pack for packing out quartered up whitetail and hogs.
I want something I can throw in the truck and go get it when needed.
Average pack is 1.5-2 miles.

Here’s the one I found.

c1191461f1f943f453c47ef232b1fc15.jpg

d7d0edac2e3f0c05a9c9959742fe7b13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I may have to check around some surplus stores for a deal on one of those. Looks like it would work well for packing meat out without paying a small fortune for a nice frame pack.

I do like u are saying....it stays at the truck or canoe and if I connect with something I'll go back and get it....I don't think I would want to use it for my hunting bag....it's huge

1- Molle II Rucksack Frame (Green or Tan), for Official ACU or Multicam Large Ruck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P6BHOE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_06ZXK12R72SRR37NBPTH

2-

3- MOLLE II Enhanced Shoulder Straps, Desert Camo, Army Surplus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHSR1C8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_0S8FJQ2SRS8JTSSYHMAR

With these three items I built an awesome frame pack for cheap. I will say the shoulder straps are expensive right now for some reason on Amazon. I had mine from way back from carrying a summit stand around with them so I didn’t need to purchase the shoulder straps. So in total I think I spent $50 for a lightweight frame pack.

I can post a picture if your interested in seeing the finished product. The Handi-pack from wilderness packs is sweet and it’s custom built for this exact frame.

I’ve also been playing around with using the whole thing as a back rest while saddle hunting. It’s basically half of a JX3. And it’s very comfortable... just not sure I want that much bulk on me yet.

Last edited:
Here is the same except it's less than 5 bucks.....they got everything u need

Boom - there ya go. I think you find those a dime a dozen at most military surplus stores.

1- Molle II Rucksack Frame (Green or Tan), for Official ACU or Multicam Large Ruck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P6BHOE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_06ZXK12R72SRR37NBPTH

2-

3- MOLLE II Enhanced Shoulder Straps, Desert Camo, Army Surplus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHSR1C8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_0S8FJQ2SRS8JTSSYHMAR

With these three items I built an awesome frame pack for cheap. I will say the shoulder straps are expensive right now for some reason on Amazon. I had mine from way back from carrying a summit stand around with them so I didn’t need to purchase the shoulder straps. So in total I think I spent $50 for a lightweight frame pack.

I can post a picture if your interested in seeing the finished product. The Handi-pack from wilderness packs is sweet and it’s custom built for this exact frame.

I’ve also been playing around with using the whole thing as a back rest while saddle hunting. It’s basically half of a JX3. And it’s very comfortable... just not sure I want that much bulk on me yet.

Post a pic if you don’t care. For around $50 I’d be interested in gathering those items up.

Here she is unloaded. Added two more straps on the back to carry my bow in.

Attachments

• 49606F5B-5D32-4795-AFC5-CEE1657D2BDA.jpeg
    49606F5B-5D32-4795-AFC5-CEE1657D2BDA.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 33789EF1-C5B4-4B83-9295-AA97E72B567D.jpeg
    33789EF1-C5B4-4B83-9295-AA97E72B567D.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 81

2-

This is brilliant, thanks for sharing! Last time I looked for anything like this, the Kifaru cargo panel was the only thing I found and it seemed way overpriced for this.

ALICE Medium you can run with or without the frame, ALICE LC-1 Large you need the Frame and its huge but would pack a lot of meat out if you could carry it. I used to use my Large ALICE for carrying all of my turkey hunting gear in for archery turkey hunting with a blind.... (so a chair, blind, my bow, etc. and it worked pretty well and was a "mobile" approach. I believe you can buy brand new Large with frame for less than $100. For deer hunting, you would leave this great and low cost hauler back at your truck or canoe and take it back in to haul your meat out. Its gonna be a long night no matter what.

Until I started saddle hunting I was attaching lone wolf stands and rapid rails to Alice pack and carrying it because of the better weight distribution. They're good little pack frames and paired with the rucksack you can haul out some boned out deer meat.

Humped a lot with a ALICE yrs ago. No issues. Military went to the new rucks for a reason. Last year I used a
MOLLE II Medium Ruck
Works well and can be had for $50-80.

I don't think that's a bonifide 'ALICE' pack but for 25 bucks grab it
It'll haul out the bacon...
Doesn't look like any alice pack I've ever seen, for sure.

I've used a medium alice pack a fair amount. Used to use the 3 side pockets to hold my junk and always had the main body open for hauling deer. Our Gulf Coast deer are admittedly small, but I can't imagine not being able to haul out any deer you'll find in the US out in one.

The frames are not particularly comfortable IF you're used to the modern stuff. At the time I was blissfully ignorant. Now, it's literally painfully obvious that the military was more concerned with cost than comfort. The frame fits me ok, but the straps and kidney pad are atrocious on them. Especially given that a surplus one likely has some use on it and what little padding it had has been worn out or degraded over time. It's also not a particularly quiet pack if that matters to you. And I've inspected more than one that smelled like somebody vomited into it back in the Vietnam War.

Other than that...good packs!

Humped a lot with a ALICE yrs ago. No issues. Military went to the new rucks for a reason. Last year I used a
MOLLE II Medium Ruck
Works well and can be had for $50-80.

Am I reading it correctly that it does come with the frame?

Back