• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

All Season Saddle Backpack

INbowHunter

Hey y’all,
I’m in the market for a saddle hunting pack that isn’t too big for early season nor too small for mid/late season when temps start to drop and will have to fit more warm gear. I’m currently looking at the Kuiu Venture 1800 & 2300, and the Sitka Tool Bucket. I’m curious as to the actual size difference between the Kuiu packs and if the 2300 would be too big for saddle hunting. Could Anyone with feedback from personal experience with these 3 packs chime in thoughts/opinions? Thanks

I have been using the 1800 for a couple of seasons and have no complaints at all. Have a buddy that has one of the sitka packs but not sure which one but I wouldnt trade on a bet. The only real reason I could see for the 2300 would be for folks further north that need to pack in bigger bulkier clothes than I do. The 1800 will haul as much weight as I want in a non-frame pack and it does it pretty well. It will handle a boned out deer up to about 130-140 pounds live weight. Bigger than that will mean 2 trips. Right amount of pockets and layout for the gear I carry.

I have been using the 1800 for a couple of seasons and have no complaints at all. Have a buddy that has one of the sitka packs but not sure which one but I wouldnt trade on a bet. The only real reason I could see for the 2300 would be for folks further north that need to pack in bigger bulkier clothes than I do. The 1800 will haul as much weight as I want in a non-frame pack and it does it pretty well. It will handle a boned out deer up to about 130-140 pounds live weight. Bigger than that will mean 2 trips. Right amount of pockets and layout for the gear I carry.
Appreciate the response. I've pretty much ruled out the Sitka pack. Now just trying to decide between the 1800 & 2300 Venture. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.

Appreciate the response. I've pretty much ruled out the Sitka pack. Now just trying to decide between the 1800 & 2300 Venture. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.
The only other setup I have ben contemplating is something like a kifaru frame with a stryker xl or the exo 1800 with a lid. Those would give me one pack to handle everything I do instead of having the kuiu 1800 for whitetails and my seek outside for elk. For just deer hunting, the kuiu has worked great.

I just got the 2300 and I would recommend it. Fits a ton of gear and cinches down tight when it's not full. I like how the waist belt is kind of a one size fits all and is included with the pack, unlike some kifaru packs. I would try to wait on one of their 20% off sales or they give you $25 off coupon when it's your birthday month.

The Stone Glacier Serac 1700 might be worth a hard look. Only 2# and looks well built

Back