• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aluminum D Loop?

My first bow, a second hand Golden Eagle had one of these. It worked OK and was easy to adjust. Now that I have a better understanding of archery I know that you shouldn't have a need to adjust the D-loop when it is properly installed.

My recommendation is to tie one on with D-loop cord, or take it to your local pro shop and have them do it. Pro shop would probably have you back out the door in less than 5 minutes.

I used one for many years and never had a problem. Still on my old bow. It was nice not having to replace worn rope loops which I have now. I’m actually thinking about going back to the aluminum loop.

I bought 1 to use for bow tuning....I don't have the right tools or the know how to get my d loop in the correct spot initially...used the bolt on 1 to find the correct spot, marked the correct spot, and tied proper d loop in it's place...I didn't like the idea of having that ridged loop...that string has to be doing very violent things when it contacts the string stop and in my mind I feel better with a soft flexible string loop. Another advantage to string d loop is u can tie longer or shorter to tinker with anchor point. Don't over tighten the weenie screws

I had problems with the aluminum d loop and lighted nocks. The D loop somehow wouldn’t allow the string to trigger the lighted nock on.
PM me and I’ll send it to you.

I used them back in the early 90s without an issue, but metal does weight a tad more and I would imagine is not as forgiving as regular d-loop cord. I've been using d-loop cord since the late 90s and only had one break on me, the loop had serious wear on it, so the breakage was more on me for not inspecting my gear. I have to wonder what would happen "if" a metal one would break.

I've never heard much good about them. Just buy d loop material and d loop pliers or just use needle nose pliers. I'd be afraid it'd come loose and take my eye out. Otherwise take it to a shop and have one tied on.

I have been putting D loops on for years and thought I would try one. Last year I purchased QAD Ultra-Nok and the T.R.U Nok. The T.R.U Nok moved all around and would not stay tight to the string. You could not get the screw tight enough, so I got rid of it. The QAD is a better design with a rubber spacer/washer that holds the string and stays tight. I did break the Ultra Nok when I screwed it on. I talked to QAD and they sent me a new one. I have not had any issue with it since. It was something different and there was no downside, it just worked. Try it, but I would get the QAD version.

I've never used one, but could see issues with string torque if your release cants at all. A dloop can kind of twist with the release a little bit.

It sounds like you've got the dloop thing figured out, but I found Dudley's 'how to tie a d-loop' video helpful as a noob.

I did use one when I first started out with compound bow because I didn't think I would get so involved in archery. Just wanted to be able to hunt outside of gun season. So wanted 'idiot' proof things that get the job done. It work fine. Until you actually compare it to a string D-loop. Its loud, cause a lot of vibrations, and you are introducing complexity into the equation. You are basically adding a tuning fork at the focal point where all the energy in the bow is focused on.

Back