• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Am I a Bad Person??

Not saying your a bad person. I typically set up 50 yards off property I cant hunt hoping if a shoot one I wont have to go talk to the land owner for permission to get a deer. I mean they never go past 50 yards. hahaha

Not saying your a bad person. I typically set up 50 yards off property I cant hunt hoping if a shoot one I wont have to go talk to the land owner for permission to get a deer. I mean they never go past 50 yards. hahaha
Lol I’ve actually talked to this guy once before and he said if you shoot one feel free to track on me. But it’s my luck they run the wrong way every time!

Nope, you are good. I actually used the neighbors post and barbed wire fence for the first couple steps up I to the tree I hunted Saturday. The trees are my property, the fence is his and his cow field starts at the fence. I just don't shoot I to his field. I have never talked to him, but waved at him and he waved back as he drove through his field the other night.

I hope you’re within the law on how close you can hunt to boundaries. And I hope that posting pictures of your law breaking, if you are, doesn’t result in you getting in trouble. But nah, you’re not a bad person. Maybe not one I’d trust with a secret though!

Personally, if you have permission from the land owner to retrieve a deer if it goes on his property you are golden. However, if you don't, I think I would get it soon. Unless you actually have a conversation with him, I think it sheds a bit of a negative light on hunter-landowner relations. I know if we find stands up right on the property line or notice somebody posted close and they have never talked to us about it, that upsets a lot of landowners. I just think we always need to be perfectly up front with people and it keeps everyone informed and relationships tend to build instead of deteriorate. Its a common courtesy thing in my opinion Please don't interpret this that you did something wrong, its an ethics thing and the promotion of positive hunter images and relations that are more important in the long run.

I live in New Hampshire and private landowners have to pay additional taxes for the land not to be hunted. My neighbor owns acreage in between me and town land that has not been posted as private or no hunting. I cross their land to get to the town land to hunt. I had talked to them in the past about hunting on their land, but they did not give me the okay. I do my best to respect their wishes even though I have found two tree stands from other hunters on their land. It’s always a personal choice of what to do on this, but I want to do my best so that my choices don’t affect other hunters too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One time I sat up on an inside corner boundary. The hot oak feed tree sign was on one side but with the wind direction and tree availability I had to set up on the other. My arrow would have traveled in the air space over private but hitting deer on public. Does that make me a bad person? I didn’t have any deer come in so I didn’t get to test the theory.
7A1291B3-AB65-487B-8020-0B8DE6B7B02D.jpeg

I climbed about 10 yards from a guy who set up on the border of private like that. I was on my lease and he was in a border tree on his lease. We watched each other for a few days. Couple times I didn’t even carry a bow, I was just there to be there.

One time I sat up on an inside corner boundary. The hot oak feed tree sign was on one side but with the wind direction and tree availability I had to set up on the other. My arrow would have traveled in the air space over private but hitting deer on public. Does that make me a bad person? I didn’t have any deer come in so I didn’t get to test the theory.
View attachment 38090

Technically that is trespassing. The meat eater podcast used to talk about corner hopping and also pondered whether firing a projectile across a corner of a property like you described was legal. Being a surveyor I became curious so I looked it up. Property rights extend vertically 200' above the surface and the supreme court determined that firing a projectile like a cannonball (this case was decided around the time of the civil war) over a property was a violation of property rights. Just a little bit of trivia for those interested.

Back