• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ameristeps or Squirrle Steps with ocb buckle for climbing method?

Randy Marsh

I've read and commented in a few threads on here about Squirrel Steps being used as a climbing method with EWO flathook ocb buckles. I would like to try the ocb buckle for sure but am not 100% sure I want to spend $460 on 12 Squirrel Steps and buckles. I thought of pairing the ocb's with Ameristeps as I could possbily find them $100+ cheaper and wouldn't have to silence them. Plus some people think that because they have the wider wing that they will be more stable. Do any of you have experience with both or have any pros or cons to either? Love my lone wolf sticks but hate the bulk and would like to be able to fit my entire climbing system, platform and saddle into a smaller backpack. I'm just hoping I'll be able to be as quite with them as I am with sticks. Thanks guys.

I've read and commented in a few threads on here about Squirrel Steps being used as a climbing method with EWO flathook ocb buckles. I would like to try the ocb buckle for sure but am not 100% sure I want to spend $460 on 12 Squirrel Steps and buckles. I thought of pairing the ocb's with Ameristeps as I could possbily find them $100+ cheaper and wouldn't have to silence them. Plus some people think that because they have the wider wing that they will be more stable. Do any of you have experience with both or have any pros or cons to either? Love my lone wolf sticks but hate the bulk and would like to be able to fit my entire climbing system, platform and saddle into a smaller backpack. I'm just hoping I'll be able to be as quite with them as I am with sticks. Thanks guys.
My plan is to use ameristeps a bunch this year, they work good enough that you can use the stock cam buckles with them. I may see in a loop so I can use a knaider or maybe just a single aider step... We'll see how motivated I get.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience w/ the ameristeps. I use the squirrel steps with an OCB as a step between each of my sticks (basically because I hate aiders). I can tell you they are very easy to use and set up and very stable for a climbing step. I am toying around with the idea of just using them and leaving my sticks at home. I think your idea makes sense, give it a shot...the only thing you'll lose is the smaller profile of the squirrel steps for pack-ability concerns.

Here’s a pack I just bought off amazon for 14.99. It’s contents are 8 loggy bayou strap on steps, five skyhooks on an ocb and a swaider that I’ll use in conjunction with my tether as a moveable aider. 7lbs 4 oz total for bag climbing system and ros platform. Going with squirrel steps it would probably be around 6lbs all in but cost twice as much. I want squirrel steps but have been snatching up any strap on aluminum steps I could find in the $15 dollar range. I’m liking them so far but have been drilling and hunting presets so far. I think the biggest thing with ameristeps is they are just bulky.
C135E2AB-1F45-4F9B-B88E-15C13B8A017C.jpeg

How are those light bayou steps? Do they have an open slot? Any issues with the straps coming out of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a pack I just bought off amazon for 14.99. It’s contents are 8 loggy bayou strap on steps, five skyhooks on an ocb and a swaider that I’ll use in conjunction with my tether as a moveable aider. 7lbs 4 oz total for bag climbing system and ros platform. Going with squirrel steps it would probably be around 6lbs all in but cost twice as much. I want squirrel steps but have been snatching up any strap on aluminum steps I could find in the $15 dollar range. I’m liking them so far but have been drilling and hunting presets so far. I think the biggest thing with ameristeps is they are just bulky.
View attachment 17160

Got the same bag off of wish different camo though... mine is packed and i added two molle pouches on each side.

I too want squirrel steps real bad but couldn’t afford em this season. So I bought up some Bullman Outdoors Silent Approach steps and some OCBs from DanO. Did a mini review on this thread. Basically they rock!

https://saddlehunter.com/community/...approach-steps-dano-ocb-straps-awesome.18475/

Just read that thread. I had the SA steps and absolutely hated them with the strap...those things are pretty scary. I never thought about using the OCB on them...looks like that works out great. I'm on the fence as to sticks vs. steps. I think sticks are faster but there is a fair amount of unpacking and set up time with sticks that you probably don't have with steps so the time difference is probably not that big of a deal. Hauling sticks ins't a big deal for me because they fit real well on the JX-3...Steps do give you some more options if you have knots or branches to work around too....decisions..decisions....

Just read that thread. I had the SA steps and absolutely hated them with the strap...those things are pretty scary. I never thought about using the OCB on them...looks like that works out great. I'm on the fence as to sticks vs. steps. I think sticks are faster but there is a fair amount of unpacking and set up time with sticks that you probably don't have with steps so the time difference is probably not that big of a deal. Hauling sticks ins't a big deal for me because they fit real well on the JX-3...Steps do give you some more options if you have knots or branches to work around too....decisions..decisions....

I keep looking for that silver bullet climbing method. That one method I will sell all my other sticks and steps for; but I think it's a unicorn. Reality is that sometimes sticks are the best for quickness; other times the steps are due to their awesome packability. So far I think I will just keep all my climbing methods and use which ever one is best for the situation at hand.

My plan is to use ameristeps a bunch this year, they work good enough that you can use the stock cam buckles with them. I may see in a loop so I can use a knaider or maybe just a single aider step... We'll see how motivated I get.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Sorry for taking so long to reply. My laptop died on me and I've been trying to fix it. This is a kind of a pain on the phone. How much play is there with the ameristeps with the stock strap?

They are as solid as needed as long as you don’t space them so far that you’re putting lateral pressure instead of down pressure.

That bag looks awesome. I still am considering the bullmans as well but if I'm already spending over $300 for them plus the ocbs I almost may as well try the squirrels. Unless I'd find them used. Do you think you'll just stick with the SA steps if they are that good with the ocb or try the squirrels eventually, Phil? I was planning on selling my lone wolf sticks to fund the steps. I've been having issues with them the last couple of hunts. I don't like having to either take a couple trips up and down the tree or having to strap them off of my side with paracord if I do it in one trip. They always rattle around or get caught on brush our branches as I climb. Having a bag of steps on my side as I climb seems like it would be more controllable and quite, especially in thick areas. I think they seem worth it even if I have to strap 10 to 12 of them.

That bag looks awesome. I still am considering the bullmans as well but if I'm already spending over $300 for them plus the ocbs I almost may as well try the squirrels. Unless I'd find them used. Do you think you'll just stick with the SA steps if they are that good with the ocb or try the squirrels eventually, Phil? I was planning on selling my lone wolf sticks to fund the steps. I've been having issues with them the last couple of hunts. I don't like having to either take a couple trips up and down the tree or having to strap them off of my side with paracord if I do it in one trip. They always rattle around or get caught on brush our branches as I climb. Having a bag of steps on my side as I climb seems like it would be more controllable and quite, especially in thick areas. I think they seem worth it even if I have to strap 10 to 12 of them.

So far I’d say I will likely stick with the bullman steps. They are like a whole new climbing method with the OCB straps. The bullmans give you close to 2 inches (maybe 1.75 or so) of surface area for your boot vs the squirrel gives 3/4 of an inch. I bought 1 squirrel step to try and the machining and quality is absolutely top notch but the 3/4 inch width puts a lot more pressure on my foot when I’m hanging there for a minute putting on my next steps. I ended up getting a great deal on used bullmans here cuz no one like the stock straps! Maybe you can too.

I could see the width making a difference in comfort. I just missed those steps but I see them posted somewhat regularly. Found out my computer is completely toast so I have to postpone the step search for now. Turns out they're expensive too, ha.

Well, just ordered 12 squirrels. Excited to try them and am hoping it's everything I'm looking for in a climbing system. I'll give an update once I get some time in with them.

I don't have any experience w/ the ameristeps. I use the squirrel steps with an OCB as a step between each of my sticks (basically because I hate aiders). I can tell you they are very easy to use and set up and very stable for a climbing step. I am toying around with the idea of just using them and leaving my sticks at home. I think your idea makes sense, give it a shot...the only thing you'll lose is the smaller profile of the squirrel steps for pack-ability concerns.

Freaking genius idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought 10 SS for climbing. Ive tested them a couple times and love them. Im actually thinking about selling my predator platform and getting 4-5 more SS for a ROS.

View attachment 17160
Care to share the link for the bag?

I just bought 10 SS for climbing. Ive tested them a couple times and love them. Im actually thinking about selling my predator platform and getting 4-5 more SS for a ROS.

I actually haven't used a saddle yet so I don't have experience with a platform or ros yet. I was going to try the predator but am kind of wishing I would have bought like 2 more squirrels for a ring of steps to use first. Have you tried putting some of yours together to see what a ros would be like with them? I'll probably do that and add the extra 2 if it seems good.

Back