• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ameristeps w/ knaider swaider

rakbowhunter

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share how I've been getting into the tree. For a quick background on how I ended up here...I was tired a carrying around sticks and no longer wanted to fight with them. I bought some WE Steps with knaider swaider to try out. Didn't really care for them. I really liked the concept of bolts, but you can't drill on public in Illinois. I also liked the concept of the knaider/swaider so I thought about Ameristeps. So here's what I came up with.

Back when I was messing with SRT, I bought a 10" Sterling 12mm sewn runner sling for a short bridge. I found out that it works great as a little loop for the knaider! I girth hitched it around the cam strap 3 times and also oriented it so that the loop sits above the hitch and the sewn part is out. This allows the loop to almost pop up and stay open. It's also nice because it cinches down and doesn't move with weight.

The process I use is similar to one sticking in that I move the tether up with every move up.

At the ground, I set the 1st step about eye level and the tether above my head and take out the slack. I then put the swaider loop on the Ameristep. In one series I step up in swaider, hook the knaider into the loop with my other leg, remove the swaider loop, and step onto the 1st step. At this point, I am hooked into the knaider, my foot is stabilized on the 1st step, and my tether is just below my chest. I then raise the tether above my head. After that, I stand up on the Ameristep, which releases the knaider. I am now standing on the one step and the tether is just below my chest. I move the tether above my head. At this point the saddle is perfect to sit in while I get the next Ameristep out of my pouch and tied on at eye level. Because the leg that has the swaider on it is the same leg I'm standing on the Ameristep with, I sit in the saddle to be able to lift that swaider and hook it onto the next step.

I repeat this process until I am at the desired height. 4 Ameristeps will get me 20+ feet. The great part about this is the chance of kickouts is basically zero. Just a cam buckle will get an Ameristep tight enough that it doesn't move much, especially after you've put your full weight on it using it to ascend. I've also used an ocb buckle and that makes it like a rock, doesn't budge at all. The step won't roll on you or anything. The only thing I would recommend is to keep the tether shorter and in front of you so your not swinging all over the place.

I bought 2 fleece pouches from DanO and they are attached to the hip belt on my pack. I get to the tree, slap on my tether, knaider, and swaider from the left pouch and an Ameristep in the right pouch. No setting my pack down or fiddling with untying anything. I just go!

Getting down is a little bit more cumbersome, only because when you go up, you adjust your tether to the right level every time. On the way down, it can be harder to judge. During practicing, remember where you are moving your tether at after each move. It will help greatly on the decent. A systematic approach is key to this!

Or you can just rappel down because it's the tits.

Here's a pic of my first step. Screenshot_20191018-174501_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191018-180443_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting application! Seems the Ameristeps would have an edge over SS since they get tighter and take side pressure better or I would try mine tomorrow.

I would like to try the SS, but I have Ameristeps and they get nice and snug anyway. I can fit 5 steps in the DanO pouch, which gets me 25+ feet. Not sure more compact is necessary!

The knaider swaider is actually pretty solid on the tree. I think being tied to the sling and Ameristep thats up against the tree really helps with stability

Interesting application! Seems the Ameristeps would have an edge over SS since they get tighter and take side pressure better or I would try mine tomorrow.

I’m confused. Are you saying One should not try this with SS and an OCB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write-up. I'd vote for rappelling down - I'm sold on it. I've been wanting to try aiders with SquirrelSteps somehow and have a few different ideas about it. Looks like you've got a good system going. I hope to have more time next year to play with different climbing methods during the off season.

I'd love to try it with some squirrel steps in the future, but I had Ameristeps to mess with this go around. I don't see why SS wouldn't work though. You really aren't putting any side pressure on the steps from the aiders. If you get the strap tight enough that you can confidently stand on the step, then that is good enough for the aider as well. After using the different buckles, I'm kind of torn between the regular cam and the ocb. The ocb gets them puppies so tight that I couldn't imagine they'd be any different for SS.

What's nice about this system is you can easily just use a knaider if you wanted. Would take more steps, but you'd be eliminating having to sit in the saddle to use the swaider.

My first attempt at this was kind of chaotic....but then you do it again...and again..then you find out what works and what doesn't. Now it's easy and I couldn't imagine carrying sticks again

I've also found that the Ameristeps that have the original straps where the step is still sewn in work really well. You can put your sewn sling 6-8" away, which is perfect, to the right of the step. The step doesn't go anywhere when you're trying to get the strap around the tree. The loop is girth hitched, so it doesn't go anywhere either. Perfect setup every time. Works so well that I want to re-sew a strap on my other steps that don't have one.

A guy could do 4 steps with just using the knaider and get to 16 feet. Set platform at 20 feet and knaider to platform. Might have to tinker with that during the "off season".
Great idea. The possibilities are endless. You could k/s for 3 steps and just knaider to the platform too. It would be easy to throw a sling on the platform strap. A ROS platform would obviously be the best fit, but a predator can be left folded up while your using the knaider. All you need is enough room for your knee to get to the strap.
Love it!

Thoughts on using tubular webbing instead of a sewn sling? There would be a knot to manage, but i'm thinking it would not be an issue if girth hitching multiple times.

I don't see why I couldn't work. Not sure about the functionality of it. Suppose you could throw a but of rope in the end to keep it propped open. As long as it's easy for the knaider hook to grab and release.

Are you girth hitching the sling each time you set up or is it staying hitched to your strap during transport and unraveling of the strap?

It stays on the strap. The 1st time you put weight on it, it cinches down tight and will not undo itself. Another plus for the sewn sling is that the sewn part being out , it wants to stay out.

Last edited:
Here's the video. Sorry about the lack of quality. I wanted to do a full setup video but the wife and baby were getting irritated haha. It also goes more smoothly when I'm not trying to explain everything

I am really liking it. Just need to remember to not overstretch my steps. I did a bit in the video.

Anywho, hope this helps!

Here's the video. Sorry about the lack of quality. I wanted to do a full setup video but the wife and baby were getting irritated haha. It also goes more smoothly when I'm not trying to explain everything

I am really liking it. Just need to remember to not overstretch my steps. I did a bit in the video.

Anywho, hope this helps!

Dude. Good work.

Btw babies can sense when you are trying to focus on things that are not them.

Anyone tried it with Squirrel steps and an OCB?

Where did you get the sling? Is it the $10 one on amazon?

Back