• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel on WE Stepps

iamcorey

Found some old threads about swapping out the stock rope on WE Stepps with amsteel. Anyone currently running them with amsteel?

Any issue with abrasion after continued use? Really like the thought of cutting bulk on those ropes AND I now have a lot of free time to piddle with my set up. Trying to figure out if it’s worth proceeding or there has been some negative aspects of switching them out that I haven’t read about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think someone has done it. I am happy with the OEM Straps. The way I look at is that they fit inside the WE bag (nestled inside the Stepps) where I carry 8 Stepps.

I do have extra 1/4” amsteel blue laying around. But to be honest, I tried using it for rope mod, and found it slick and had a stick kick out (loosened up) multiple times. I lost confidence in amsteel for friction type use. I use amsteel for a whoopie sling for a bridge and would use for a continuous loop, but not much else at this time.

That said, others have used amsteel.

Just giving you my experiences.

Good luck and stay safe.

I tired 1/8” Amsteel (too slick and too hard to adjust) and Notch dryad (too heavy).
Went back to stock WE rope

I brought this up once and got beat on as using amsteel in this application was viewed as unsafe. I use only the stock ropes now.

I have used 1/4” amsteel with my stepps for two seasons now. Slightest bit of fray, but not much. Yes it’s slick and sometimes I watch it slip ever so slightly, but this is when it’s around the standoff and I’m camming it over. Still had minimal issues with amsteel in this application. I practiced with them inches off the ground, and assessed the risk as very low. I don’t recommend any one follow my example:wink:
Edit: I did a locked brummel with a long bury, longer than many ever considered. But my ropes are supporting my life, so I followed Samson’s instructions on the bury length.

I have used 1/4” amsteel with my stepps for two seasons now. Slightest bit of fray, but not much. Yes it’s slick and sometimes I watch it slip ever so slightly, but this is when it’s around the standoff and I’m camming it over. Still had minimal issues with amsteel in this application. I practiced with them inches off the ground, and assessed the risk as very low. I don’t recommend any one follow my example:wink:
Edit: I did a locked brummel with a long bury, longer than many ever considered. But my ropes are supporting my life, so I followed Samson’s instructions on the bury length.

Do you use a slip knot like I’ve seen it called?

I’ve used mule tape with no issues. But it does catch on briars at the base of the tree on the first step. I know that now so I’m more aware. Doesn’t slip like amsteel did for me and still light weight.

I went to order some amsteel for this modification. Anyone use 3/16" instead of the 1/4" for this? If ask because the 1/4" is twice the price of 3/16". Doesn't seem like a 1/16" would make a big difference.

I would think 3/16 would be fine. It’s plenty strong enough. I’d think it will hold the knot well. I tried1/8 and it wouldn’t hold for me.

My amsteel order arrived.

Is there a significant strength lossd to a girth hitched spliced loop vs splicing directly to the stepp?

My amsteel order arrived.

Is there a significant strength lossd to a girth hitched spliced loop vs splicing directly to the stepp?

I’m not sure about any loss of strength, but I liked having the brummel locked splice on the steps. Same splice as the original ropes from WEI

Older thread but maybe ill get a response i just recieved my wild edge steps and im not a fan of the oe ropes very rigid and bulky might try amsteel but im really intrigued with notch dryad i cant find a splicing video for it though does it splice the same way as amsteel

Older thread but maybe ill get a response i just recieved my wild edge steps and im not a fan of the oe ropes very rigid and bulky might try amsteel but im really intrigued with notch dryad i cant find a splicing video for it though does it splice the same way as amsteel
@Squatch has been using amsteel rope mods. I believe he will have more info.

Last edited:
I’ll ask the maker if it’s ok to release the info yet for purchase in their store online

I posted in this thread above (post #3). The Notch Dryad was too heavy for my taste. It is slightly less bulky than the OEM rope. It splices like any hollow core rope, but if you taper your ends (and you should before doing the bury), the rope wants to unravel. It also absorbs water.

In summary, I hated it.

I tried the amsteel mod. Felt like it induced more fiddle due to it not having any stretch. You had to be fairly precise in you initial tension. It’s definitely a trade off for the less bulky stock rope.

Back