• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel splicing/loop making etc

Shuwb

I've been playing around making daisy chains. All those awesome tutorial videos have been extremely helpful!!! Thanks much to all guys that shared their experiences with us.
I've had some of own thoughts I'd like to share.
I did purchase the blue knitting needles and fashioned a fid. (fine hacksaw to cut the angle and 220 to smooth the edges) I took a round file that fit into the hole and scored some ridges inside, almost like threads inside a nut, to hold onto the rope easier.
After trimming off about half of the threads to taper the rope, I tightly wrap electrical tape around the rope to beyond the end of the taper creating a point. If you end up with a flatish point, just trim it into a proper point. When doing the knots for a loop or daisy chain I just loosen the spot I want to go through and poke the tape point through instead of messing with the fid all the time. And the tape helps hold the rope in the fid when hiding the rope inside itself. Just "screw" it into the threads made by the round file and it holds really well for long hides. Before hiding the rope, just cut or pull the tape off.
So on one end of side 1 of my daisy chain I have wrapped with tape. The side 2 end I splice a loop. It's easier for me to remember which rope goes through next that way.To feed the loop through a loosened rope spot that you want to go through, someone on a video used a latch hook to pull it through, and that is genius! 3/16" rope works doing this, but larger sizes may be more difficult. I still use my fid to go through the inside of the rope the hide the tag end, but that's it.
Use sharp scissors!!! This rope is tough!!
I've been having a blast doing the DIY thing. Now, like most guys on here have experienced, my wife thinks I'm nuts!

Back