• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel Types, Colors and Performance

Jebster

Folks, I purchased an H2 saddle as my first saddle and have to say that I really like it with one exception.

I ordered it with the Triad Bridge which is made of UHMW (Amsteel). It has the line that creates the bridge with stopper knots on each end; continuous loops are attached to the saddle loops with prusik knots and then to the line that creates the bridge with schwabisch knots. The adjustability, strength, and light weight caught my attention. Down at ground level, just to fool around with the setup, it seems like it should work great.

Except that after I load the saddle it is for all practical purposes impossible to adjust (in the stand) because the plastic-like nature of the material deforms and locks into place. I have to work at and pry the schwabisch knot furls apart and work it loose at ground level. It's also tough to get the prusik knots loose enough to move to try different attachment locations to the saddle loops. So it's pretty much impractical as is.

I replaced the line w/ stopper knots at each end with a similar length of Bluewater Assault line and now the schwabisch knots will grip just fine with weight but free up fairly easy by hand. Especially when pulled toward the center of the bridge (I think this is the way these ares supposed to work). On the saddle loop end I backed out one of the three wraps on the prusik, it's no longer a prusik I suppose but it grips the loop when weighted and can also be adjusted fairly easily.

This Amsteel is black. I have a short length of grey Amsteel and it is noticeably more pliable and softer and I don't believe it would deform like the black stuff does. So I've ordered plenty of 1/4" gray Amsteel with the hopes of making continuous loops and a bridge that don't cause the same problem.

Have you folks encountered similar issues? I did reach out to H2 and was told that the black Amsteel is colored and this color wears off after a season and get easier to use over time. Problem is I want them to work NOW when I'm learning to use and shoot out of a saddle.

Interested in your thoughts.

Folks, I purchased an H2 saddle as my first saddle and have to say that I really like it with one exception.

I ordered it with the Triad Bridge which is made of UHMW (Amsteel). It has the line that creates the bridge with stopper knots on each end; continuous loops are attached to the saddle loops with prusik knots and then to the line that creates the bridge with schwabisch knots. The adjustability, strength, and light weight caught my attention. Down at ground level, just to fool around with the setup, it seems like it should work great.

Except that after I load the saddle it is for all practical purposes impossible to adjust (in the stand) because the plastic-like nature of the material deforms and locks into place. I have to work at and pry the schwabisch knot furls apart and work it loose at ground level. It's also tough to get the prusik knots loose enough to move to try different attachment locations to the saddle loops. So it's pretty much impractical as is.

I replaced the line w/ stopper knots at each end with a similar length of Bluewater Assault line and now the schwabisch knots will grip just fine with weight but free up fairly easy by hand. Especially when pulled toward the center of the bridge (I think this is the way these ares supposed to work). On the saddle loop end I backed out one of the three wraps on the prusik, it's no longer a prusik I suppose but it grips the loop when weighted and can also be adjusted fairly easily.

This Amsteel is black. I have a short length of grey Amsteel and it is noticeably more pliable and softer and I don't believe it would deform like the black stuff does. So I've ordered plenty of 1/4" gray Amsteel with the hopes of making continuous loops and a bridge that don't cause the same problem.

Have you folks encountered similar issues? I did reach out to H2 and was told that the black Amsteel is colored and this color wears off after a season and get easier to use over time. Problem is I want them to work NOW when I'm learning to use and shoot out of a saddle.

Interested in your thoughts.

Harbor Freight sells a winch cable replacement, it might be that. Also, there is another company (name escapes me) that also makes a dyneema line (it is more name brandish than Harbor Freight). I have read here that the texture varies among these brands.

Back