• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel

TheYote

Just spliced my first loops on 1/4 inch amsteel blue. How are you guys attaching it to your saddle. One end I girth hitched it but what about the other loop? Carabin it?

Edit, this is for the bridge

You can girth hutch one side. You could have spliced it straight to the saddle. The other side they usually splice and sew but you can use a carabiner there also or even a petzl ring.

I spliced both ends directly onto the saddle. The second eye splice I lock stitched. I think the next time I'll only splice one end to the saddle and make an eye sliced end to use with a carabiner.

My question is how did you splice both eyes onto the saddle because, dont you need both end of the rope to splice? If one end is spliced to the saddle how can you splice the other end to the saddle?

I girth hitch both sides. You do a locked Brummel loop and girth on one side then with the tag end you kinda weave a girth hitch on the other side bury 8" and then lock stitch in place.
49ab60684e4d77e9af8f50f55135112d.jpg

it appears the manits saddle the bridge is installed prior to it being sewed
if your doing a DIY before you sew the loops that hold the bridge is what I suspect happened to get a clean install
otherwise you have to deal with the suggestions posted here

Could one not do a adjustable Whoopie sling so you can get bridge length just right? Or is that not a safe alternative. I made one for a extra linemans line and it seems very secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could one not do a adjustable Whoopie sling so you can get bridge length just right? Or is that not a safe alternative. I made one for a extra linemans line and it seems very secure.

Has anyone thought about doing a locked Brummel loop and using a girth hitch to attach to the saddle on one side. Then on the other side, do a locked Brummel loop and use a Soft shackle to attach to the saddle and get your girth hitch that way? A 1/4" Amsteel soft shackle is rated at 84KW or 19,000lbs. If you did a 4" soft shackle , you would have about the same distance as a carabineer, but would also get the benefit of a girth hitch to lock in where it attaches to the saddle loop. Plus, no noise...

The thought of hanging from a soft shackle scares me. With that said I have never used them so my fears may be unfounded. I just don't like the idea of my life depending on something that doesn't lock closed.

I girth hitch both sides. You do a locked Brummel loop and girth on one side then with the tag end you kinda weave a girth hitch on the other side bury 8" and then lock stitch in place.
49ab60684e4d77e9af8f50f55135112d.jpg
This is interesting. Does this somehow allow the bridge to come off easily? The locked brummel side can be girth hitched no problem. But the other side has to be threaded, girthed, buried, then locked stiched. I don't see how it comes off without undoing the lock stitch. If that's the case why girth hitch at all? You lose strength with a girth hitch.

Ok guys, got my Amsteel and my DIY fid, ready to splice. What's the best way to cut and then secure the ends? Burning seems to leave a huge blob that's not gonna fit in the fid. Thanks

Ok guys, got my Amsteel and my DIY fid, ready to splice. What's the best way to cut and then secure the ends? Burning seems to leave a huge blob that's not gonna fit in the fid. Thanks

I use a surgical scalpel. Needs to be sharp whatever you use. I then put heat shrink over the ends.

Back