• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

An Open Letter to the Saddlehunter.com Community

Vtbow

An Open Letter to the Saddlehunter.com Community:

First I'm going to apologize to @redsquirrel because this should probably be in the General discussion, but I didnt think enough people would pay attention to it there .... Also, I apologize to everyone for the rant.

Saddlehunters and Saddlehunter newbies-

I have not been on this site that long, but have been somewhat active and have communicated pretty regularly with some of the innovators, originators, hard-core long time hangers, and learners like myself. This has been a very inviting and supportive community. Members have given me phone numbers, I have had extensive conversations with them about saddle hunting, and gear, hunting in general; it has been great. This is not an attempt to call any specific person, or situation out. In Fact, it is to call every Saddlehunter.com member out.

Lately, I have been disapointed to see the amount of back and forth on the site between members, mostly about Tethrd gear and such. I understand we all have different opions, expectations, and personal relationships with everyone involved. My goal here is to hopefully offer a little perspective and just make people take a step back and think a little- this is not directed at anyone specific, and I am not taking sides in any way. My goal is to try to contribute to the site to help it maintain the awesome atmosphere that @red has worked so hard to develop over the years with help from many many contributors.

@g2outdoors and @Erniepower have worked hard to put together products to help fill a niche in the hunting world they ( and a lot of members) really felt needed to be filled. If I remember correctly, one of their goals was to inspire new saddle hunters and promote saddle hunting in general and provide a one-stop solution to saddle hunters. I believe they have accomplished this and come up with a product a lot of new and active saddle hunters are REALLY excited about. With this creation comes a transition for them and some of the Tetherd team. They transform from being personal ambassadors and innovators of the saddlehunter community to business owners and developers for Tetherd. They have contributed a TON to this site and the community in the form of resources, info, help, support, etc, etc, etc. They have developed personal relationships and enjoy helping and teaching. Here itself begins the problem. How does one maintain a personal presence so strong on Saddlehunter.com and still work to become a leading business in the saddle and hunting retail field? It is not and will not be easy. This is a balance they are going to have to figure out and their presence here will continue to change.

I have a pretty extensive retail, wholesale, and hands on background in the outdoor industry. With this in mind I understand much of the frustration with the current situation coming from all parties involved. I'd like to help provide some potential ideas to help people get their needs and concerns addressed- please take it for what it is worth to you, or don't, it is up to you...

So... Here we go, please read it all before you jump to any conclusions about intent.

Saddlehunter.com is not a Tethrd retail site. I think it would be helpful for everyone it people directed issues, comments directed at Tetherd, adding to orders, changing orders, tracking all that fun stuff to the correct channels. This in my opinion would be the Tetherdnation.com and the Tethrd Facebook page. If the owner of Lone wolf was on this site and we were looking for updates on our order would we PM them on saddle hunter, or would we go through there website, call customer service, etc. Same thing with smaller companies like Wild Edge, Bullman, Etc. The more places companies have to look for communications, the better a chance something goes missed. This would streamline communications and I bet customers needs would be met faster and with less headaches. I totally understand that as a customer if I send a message and don't get a response in 24-48 hours on a business day, I want to reach out to the company in a diffferent way- Call, Facebook, whatever I can. But I don't search out the owner on Facebook and send them a personal message. I think we are forgetting that on this forum, that is a pretty equal parallel to sending a PM to Greg or Ernie. Think about your work(whatever you do). Would you be psyched to come home and have 50 messages in your personal email or facebeook messages about some part you were supposed to deliver or report you were supposed to email and it didn't happen for whatever reason?

And the Flip side: It's not new saddle hunters fault that they are super excited about a product which they are hoping to fit all their needs. Heck, that was one of Tethrd's goal right? Ok. So, as easy as it is to come up with other alternatives to a commercial product in order to wait out the delay, not everyone has the means. More gear may require more time, more money, more effort, more. We are not all the same. We do not know the situations others are in. Maybe I"ve been wanting to saddle hunt for years, I've been reading this forum, this great product comes up, I sell all my stuff to afford it. I trust the company to deliver because of the personal relationships I see on this site and the backings of some of the most well-known members. I put all me money in one basket. Now what? Ut oh.... I'm frustrated. I feel betrayed. I have no money, I have no hunting stuff. Sure, I could fab something, or try to find a used saddle, but I have 2 kids, am working 2 jobs, just blew the engine in my car and need to replace all the brake lines in my truck. Man, this is a bummer- Hunting is my escape, my relaxation, and I was really excited about this. Please put yourself in others shoes before we make assumptions. Some people's reactions my seem unreasonable, but are they really given their situation?

Lastly, please think of @redsquirrel a little here. This puts him in a difficult situation as moderator(and someone with personal relationships with folks at Tetherd). He hasn't had to "Moderate" a whole lot in the past because we have moderated ourselves. Lets try to make things a little more fair on him and keep his goals with the site and the atmosphere a priority. Honestly, I believe the thread "A secret" should be locked. We should move on. People should deal with the company Tethrd directly with issues, questions related to orders, situation specific questions. Functionality, mods, how-to, reviews, etc(regardless of the product) should be welcome.

Lets get back to saddle hunting talk and having a good time! I want to be excited and get pumped for the season when I come here, not dragged down with negativity, and I"m sure most feel the same.

If you read all of this, thank you. I appreciate your time and thoughts. I'm just asking people to please take a step back for a moment. I"m not going to partake in debating, but feel free to flog me, tell me to piss off, whatever you feel based upon my long boring post. I have plenty more comments, but really just want to get back to prepping for the season, throwning some arrows, and enjoying the outdoors. Don't you?

Cheers,

-A bow hunter getting antsy for season to start.

P.S. @redsquirrel No offense will be taken if you feel this is out of line and would like to delete it.

I'm glad somebody took the time to type that up. I like Tethrd as much as the next guy, but my first thought when it was launched was, " This is gonna be fun." I really DON'T want the whole place to turn into #teamtethrd. I'm super-bummed that we don't see Boswell around any more, or really any of the old New Tribe gang. Don't see Andrew as much either. I know they had a partnership going.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I hope everyone takes the time to read this...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
great post - time to focus on what we are here for - sharing ideas, experiences and having fun - I know we all have benefited from what this site has to offer, and we have ALL been there wondering what to do about gear with a season about to start, whether this year, last year or in the Paleolithic days of SH. The rapid rate of growth brings growing pains, but the sun will rise tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone new and old this coming season, regardless of how you make it happen. Personally I just want to keep on the journey I started a year ago.

I agree with the above - I understand the premise. And it was a nice idea to use this site as a platform, but the whole thing definitely jumped the shark here...

Yes! This is not a Tethrd Customer Service site. For the sake of @g2outdoors and @Erniepower (and to maintain the awesomeness of this site), please reach out to them regarding CS issues as you would any other business. I can't imagine how difficult it is for them to keep up with their email, let alone inquiries from SH.

On the same token, honest reviews of Tethrd products (both good and bad) should continue to be an integral part of this site without interference. I know folks are anxious to get their hands on new gear from multiple companies, but damn has the tone on this site shifted in the short time I've been on.

I haven't wanted to get involved with this topic, and this is as much input as I'll leave.

Well written. Thank you. It is easy to apply our own emotions to other people’s literature. For the most part we seem to navigate these posts pretty well and remain respectful. You’ve made some excellent points.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad somebody took the time to type that up. I like Tethrd as much as the next guy, but my first thought when it was launched was, " This is gonna be fun." I really DON'T want the whole place to turn into #teamtethrd. I'm super-bummed that we don't see Boswell around any more, or really any of the old New Tribe gang. Don't see Andrew as much either. I know they had a partnership going.

I second this.

AHHHH another bandwagon I got to get on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when will it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!
Just messing with you I agree.

I would bet a 12 pack Ernie and Greg wish or have at least thought about that they should have waited until next year to release when the had more time to work with suppliers and get some on the shelf. Yes things went a little sideways on them. I fully expect they will make a full recovery. Guys that weren't here last year, the exact same thing happened to Aerohunter and the Kestrel. Even they were ill prepared for the amount of orders they received.
I don't think people really understand what These guys have accomplished in such a short amount of time. I'm amazed its gone this smoothly.

Don't see Andrew as much either. I know they had a partnership going.
Andrew from Wild Edge is a GREAT friend of this site. We got to meet up in July and had a blast hanging out. We just recorded our next podcast and he is our guest! It was a blast and I can't wait for you guys to hear it. He has a busy business and a young family so he doesn't get to make it on here as much as he wants to.

Andrew from Wild Edge is a GREAT friend of this site. We got to meet up in July and had a blast hanging out. We just recorded our next podcast and he is our guest! It was a blast and I can't wait for you guys to hear it. He has a busy business and a young family so he doesn't get to make it on here as much as he wants to.
That is awesome to hear!

I agree with OP and pastor Ken. we should all be cheering on G2 & Ernie or we quickly can get back to a non-availability state (some of us actually remember where the only place you could get saddle equipment was second hand and the only real info was John E and old youtube videos. Saddle hunters are few and the market just isn't there to support a large booming business - many have tried and many went their way. I seriously doubt Greg and Ernie did it to become rich - they did it because they have a passion for SH and for years searched for a modern and viable saddle hunting system. They both have contributed immensely to the current popularity of Saddle Hunting. I would almost bet that the majority of new SH folks over the last 2 years have come here because of Bowhunter15 & G2 outdoor videos.... either directly or indirectly. Ands because red had the vision to create a community back when there were less then a few dozen of us toying with saddles. It is growing in popularity now because of social media - podcasts, youtube, forumns, etc.....

I apologize if I came on to heavy with some of the newbies - I sometimes forget my own journey and seeking information - and I was totally frustrated early on due to lack of equipment - that I really do get.

Spot on and another example of why I joined. It does easily blur the lines when a business overlaps the site's reason for existence. Treat Tethrd and all of the businesses here with the same respect and proper communication channels and we can all get back to HANGING out in continued innovation awesomeness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back