• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another backpack post

JumpingVampire

Are there any guys in here that are climbing the tree with their bow on their backpack and was wondering what pack are you guys using? My goal this year is to be hands-free with a pack I could leave my bow, platform and climbing stick all attached to the pack. I was hoping to find something like a kangaroo style backpack with two exterior clip on straps for the sticks. Something like the Alps willow creek but that one doesnt have the exterior straps for my sticks. I would like a smaller size pack without to much bulk

I have been carrying my bow on my pack and saddle hunting for 13 yrs. Early season i use a camelback style pack with the bow gear tied to the back. As the season gets cooler, the pack gets bigger. I then switch to a tenzing 1500 to carry a jacket, small video camera, etc. Also when i hunt public land, the bigger pack is needed because i carry rope on steps, stainless water bottle, ameristep ROS platform, jacket, small camera etc. Then in the winter i switch up to a tenzing 2220. The sticks mount to the sides of the bigger packs well but i don't use them much. I hate sticks lol. Hope this helps ya.

That’s what I’ve been doing for years now. Hands free going in and up the tree. I’d have it no other way. I hate trying to haul my gear up with a line. It always gets tangled in all the brush below, and in the dark that is a major pain.

I just bought this one like this today but have had a similar one the past several years.

a3f9633f7199f379eee889005e7087ba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After last season I got kydex hooks from @Dkiss103 and I'm toyin with the idea of putting my bow on my pack after I take my platform off the pack and hang it on the back of my saddle before I climb up. No Doyles required. My pack is a Pioneer by Vanguard

Last edited:
I've been using the same Game Winner (Academy) pack that holds my bow/rifle for the last 10 years. No complaints and has plenty of room. I could buy a newer, fancier and much more expensive back pack, but no need

Love the kydex hooks and thanks for a the replies guys. Anyways I think I found the packs I might consider. The Alps trailblazer is cheap and I can attach my bow on the outside center strap and my 3 lonewolf mini's on the side. I just don't know about the balance overall. My next option would be the Insight Vision. Its exactly what I want but don't know if I can swallow the price on that one. It has the kangaroo pouch for the bow and centered exterior straps to mount the Lonewolf sticks making it more balanced.
670166_ts.jpg
9101-the-vision-cutout-front-quarter-left.jpg

Has anyone tried the Alpzoutdoorz Hybrid X? Also, when is the Bandlands Vario gonna drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the trailblazer pack. first of all, it is a great pack. i use the heck out of it in rifle season. i tried carrying my bow and sticks on it, but i wasn't happy with the stick part. they were too loose and floppy on the sides. they sometimes clanked my bow. perhaps i'm too picky about my setup though.

i have the trailblazer pack. first of all, it is a great pack. i use the heck out of it in rifle season. i tried carrying my bow and sticks on it, but i wasn't happy with the stick part. they were too loose and floppy on the sides. they sometimes clanked my bow. perhaps i'm too picky about my setup though.
What bow do you have strapped on the trailblazer?

i have an xpedition. it is a pretty small bow. 32 ata i think. i could pull off the sticks and bow on the trailblazer, but i just didn't like how loosely everything was on it. i was also using hawk helium sticks. when i use the trailblazer with my rifle, it really shines. i love how it carries my rifle and a day's worth of gear/food.

I use the horn hunter g3 lots of attachment points not only for bow but platform other clothing or even sticks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

that g3 is a great bag also! i know a few folks that own that. it is really good in the tree.

I bought one of those. Then decided that it was going to be too big and tried to cancel. Was told it was too late and that the manufacturer was already shipping. Got over it. Then found out it was in fact canceled. Now not sure. Think I’m headed to cabelas or BP to look one day soon. My $40 amazon pack is crap. Need something more betters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This review (link here) convinced me to try the Eberlestock X2. I carry my sticks and everything like this guy does in the review. Very easy to get the bow attached too after the sticks. It can comfortably haul about 50 pounds of meat out too, but at that point, you'd be carrying your bow in your hand. But not a big deal, cuz, hey, you just killed a deer.

Ideal pack for me.
3000+ c/in/50L
Non “Bucket Lid”
Hydration bladder pouch
Meat shelf
Rain cover
Top pocket
Back pocket (NO main pocket access)
Load lifter straps
Side compression straps (for sticks)
Back compression straps (LWHC method)
Waist belt pockets
Holster attachment on waist
Ability to attach a bow... maybe?
Im still looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This review (link here) convinced me to try the Eberlestock X2. I carry my sticks and everything like this guy does in the review. Very easy to get the bow attached too after the sticks. It can comfortably haul about 50 pounds of meat out too, but at that point, you'd be carrying your bow in your hand. But not a big deal, cuz, hey, you just killed a deer.

That’s it. That’s like the 400th thumbs up for one of these.... maybe I will try that. You all can’t possibly be that wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Found my pack guys I think this will do. Gonna be hands free walking in and no more reeling up my bow, bow will be on my pack while I climb. My minis LW and micro LW Jumpingvamire special is gonna be super compact and light once I put those on.

Attachments

• 20190801_134838.jpg
    20190801_134838.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 20190801_134832.jpg
    20190801_134832.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 160
Love the kydex hooks and thanks for a the replies guys. Anyways I think I found the packs I might consider. The Alps trailblazer is cheap and I can attach my bow on the outside center strap and my 3 lonewolf mini's on the side. I just don't know about the balance overall. My next option would be the Insight Vision. Its exactly what I want but don't know if I can swallow the price on that one. It has the kangaroo pouch for the bow and centered exterior straps to mount the Lonewolf sticks making it more balanced.
670166_ts.jpg
9101-the-vision-cutout-front-quarter-left.jpg

@JumpingVampire @backstrap19

I’m looking at buying the Trailblazer. Do you think its main compartment is big enough to fit both a cold season jacket + Wild Edge bag (8 steps)? It’s hard to tell by pictures alone. Also looking at the Pursuit, but I think it’s more bag than I need. Appreciate any insight.

I’m a big believer in my 3L hydration backpack from Field & Stream for my everyday pack. It’s not top of the line, but it’s not received a single rip or abrasion in 7 seasons, and it’s super compact but it has a ton of hookups and secret pockets. I usually lash my Montana decoy, bowie, and/or jacket to it, but this year I’m toying with the idea of strapping my bow on for the ride up the tree. They discontinued the model, and the new one is called “Great Plains” I think. It’s not as nice as my old model. I’ll likely have my Predator hooked to my saddle, so my bow shouldn’t be a big deal with the crisscrossed webbing and lash points on the pack.
If I were to get a new pack, I’d opt for one of the Cabela’s options. I’m pleased with all of my purchases from their brand in terms of clothes and packs.

@JumpingVampire @backstrap19

I’m looking at buying the Trailblazer. Do you think its main compartment is big enough to fit both a cold season jacket + Wild Edge bag (8 steps)? It’s hard to tell by pictures alone. Also looking at the Pursuit, but I think it’s more bag than I need. Appreciate any insight.

i guess it would depend on the bulk of that jacket, but being a late season jacket, i'd assume it's somewhat bulky. you would be close. the main compartment is fairly roomy, but i think you could jam both of those in there. side note though, the only other pocket is the small one at the top of the bag, so once you max out the main compartment with your coat and steps, you won't have much room left. that all being said, i do still enjoy my trailblazer pack.

Back