• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another One Stick Question

Buckhole75

Are all of you guys that are one sticking rappelling down?Just don’t think i want to go that route Too lazy to carry the extra rope and roll it up.

Rappeling down is the lazy way brother!! I dig it. 35' of some 9mm HTP or the line I use (which is smaller) isn't heavy and doesn't take up much room at all.

I can fit 35' of 9mm HTP, madrock safeguard, biners, and autoblock in a single sys hauler. My pull-up line doubles as a pull down line for rope retrieval once I'm at the base of the tree. Quick and compact and if I'm in a situation where I won't be needing to rappel I just leave the sys hauler at the truck.

I can fit 35' of 9mm HTP, madrock safeguard, biners, and autoblock in a single sys hauler. My pull-up line doubles as a pull down line for rope retrieval once I'm at the base of the tree. Quick and compact and if I'm in a situation where I won't be needing to rappel I just leave the sys hauler at the truck.

I would like to see a video demonstration of this with a how to on the setup, equipment used, safety precautions, etc. I certainly like the idea but don’t know enough about it.

Boyne Bowhunter has a really good video out there on how he runs his complete one step setup. That is the route I am going to try this year.

I would like to see a video demonstration of this with a how to on the setup, equipment used, safety precautions, etc. I certainly like the idea but don’t know enough about it.
There are a TON of resources on the site that cover this. @boyne bowhunter Has a couple of really good youtube videos:

And here's a really good thread: https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/rappelling-gear-setup.9536/

As a final word of caution: If you are unsure about any of this I would highly recommend consulting an expert or instructor to make sure you are doing this safely.

I'm not the best at repelling, I havn't put enough time in. I have a sweet setup with 42' of line with a ring. The line is a little bulky tho.

I want to try repelling down as I can see myself just bear hugging down the tree...has anyone done that...:fearscream::eek:

I am looking into the safeguard to repel. It says for rescue/rigging use 8mm-11mm but for “climbing” says 8.9mm-11mm. Whats the difference. I was curious as to how well 8mm oplux works with the safeguard but I do not want to go against specs.

Edit: I see now it says 8.1mm for rescue/rigging so neither would be in spec. Question still stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking into the safeguard to repel. It says for rescue/rigging use 8mm-11mm but for “climbing” says 8.9mm-11mm. Whats the difference. I was curious as to how well 8mm oplux works with the safeguard but I do not want to go against specs.

Edit: I see now it says 8.1mm for rescue/rigging so neither would be in spec. Question still stands

I've never done any rescue/rigging work so ill defer to the experts on that one, but if i had to guess it would be because rescue rope is most likely static. Which means less stretch, which means the diameter stays relatively the same. If you're climbing/actually belaying someone, most likely the rope is dynamic in which case the diameter of the rope can shrink while under load.

I’ve been using the Safeguard with OpLux with no ill experience this far. Use at your own risk as you already know it’s out of spec. Might I suggest adding a auto block to your system as back up. It’s also nice cause you can open the Safeguard lever all the way and actually control your descent with the autoblock.

What “autoblock” are you referring to?

What would happen using the safeguard without autoblock? It doesnt appear as if @boyne bowhunter has any other rope. Just his 25’+ tether and a safeguard.

Last edited:
What would happed using the safeguard without autoblock? It doesnt appear as if @boyne bowhunter has any other rope. Just his 25’+ tether and a safeguard.

I’m using an autoblock for sure. I like to have a backup. Especially repelling....fun but I’m not that comfortable yet. Don’t think Ill ever be. Just nice to have my right hand by my hip just in case.

Ok thanks. I need hands free to retrieve my stick. I think I will just learn to 1 stick down. To many unkowns and more pieces of gear for me.

You can let go where ever you want to do some work, and have both hands free.

Back