• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another reason to carry your setup in and out each time.

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
I try to offer rational, pragmatic advice in “someone’s huntjng my spot what should I do?” Threads and “another hunter is claiming a spot on public ground what should I do” threads and “I have 10 acres and the neigbor makes the deer hunting suck what should I do?” Threads.

I should just link this article instead.

Why anyone thinks confronting or worse provoking a stranger in remote areas who is likely armed, is beyond me. This guy was less than confrontational and apologetic and agreeable and still fell out of a tree.

People are crazy

This is the type of thing that led me down the saddle path in the first place years ago. I was tired of lugging a climber everywhere and annoyed with how noisy it was to setup and climb.

So my wife and I preset a hang on stand and a ladder... On a private property that we had, and still have, permission to hunt. When we came back 2 weeks later to hunt it, we found this at the base of the tree:
Screenshot_20230126-152151.png

Why? Congratulations D-Bag, you just ruined a stand that was set up for a 27 year old girl to hunt out of... Hope you are proud.

Long story short, I started researching ways to mobile hunt without carrying a climber. I was in a RCH and sit drag by the end of that season and a Kestrel the next season.

Not good optics for hunting or the hunting community whatsoever. When our numbers and participation rates in many subsets of hunting are tanking quite exponentially, it doesn't help to let pride, ego and irrationality take over in any regard. I haven't read the article yet but I'm going to, but I'm assuming its just more greed, pride, covetousness etc. we humans are so good at unfortunately. We need to be above it at all times.

This is the type of thing that led me down the saddle path in the first place years ago. I was tired of lugging a climber everywhere and annoyed with how noisy it was to setup and climb.

So my wife and I preset a hang on stand and a ladder... On a private property that we had, and still have, permission to hunt. When we came back 2 weeks later to hunt it, we found this at the base of the tree:
View attachment 80701

Why? Congratulations D-Bag, you just ruined a stand that was set up for a 27 year old girl to hunt out of... Hope you are proud.

Long story short, I started researching ways to mobile hunt without carrying a climber. I was in a RCH and sit drag by the end of that season and a Kestrel the next season.

Every time I look at that photo, I still get fuming mad...

...but I guess I can't be too salty about it, since his D-Baggery led me down the path of becoming a much safer and effective deer hunter. Thanks?? :rolleyes:

Many, many years ago, before I started mobile hunting from a climber even, I used a lock on and DIY "climbing sticks" to access the tree. Those sticks were nothing more than 2x4 8' studs with screw in steps threaded into them. I stacked and tied three of those to the trunk of the tree using some cheap nylon braid (its a wonder I didn't die early :tearsofjoy:) to get to about 20ft in the lock on.

One day I went in there and climbed (no safety line or linemans, did I mention its a wonder I've lived this long?) and when I got on the second stick the upper rope on it broke and unceremoniously sent me to the ground. Luckily I was mostly uninjured from my 10' fall. When I examined the rope it was either cut or chewed through, I couldn't tell which. I was hunting in an oak grove with a bunch of squirrels around but I had also had some "discussions" with another hunter in the area as well. I could never prove it but I always suspected my set up was tampered with intentionally. Add to that I never saw that other hunter in the area again. After that whenever I was hunting from a fixed stand I became obsessed with checking straps and ropes before I weighted any of it. Its been a lot of years and I had completely forgotten about the incident until reading this.

I had a similar incident @boyne bowhunter. I think it was 2007, I had a stand set up WAY back on state game lands. I hunted for a week in archery, but then had to have shoulder surgery. When I was able, went back to retrieve said stand. Climbed up and was JUST about to put all my weight on the top stick, when for some reason I took a gander at the strap holding it, and some tool had cut it very similarly to how the strap was cut in this story.

I went fully mobile with 4 full length Lone Wolf sticks and a Millennium M100 the next year.

I have an uncle that use to hunt the same public for 20 years or so and set out ladder stands on it every year. He had ppl cut his pull up ropes 90% of the way through a couple times but luckily caught it before he pulled up his bow or gun. Its one thing to be a low life and try and wreck someone's weapon but your a whole nother level of POS to intentionally try to injure a fellow hunter. How he didn't end up with serious time is a crime in itself

Aggravated Assault.

Still, not nice at all.

Back