• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Another tick thread

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
We started discussing ticks in the thread about Ohio Hunting, and I thought I'd share something that I've been experiencing for a long time now...33 years to be exact, and I don't understand it and can't explain why.
My 31 acre property in SW Pa is in the middle of tick central. There's ticks pretty much all around my place.
A few years ago, I helped a buddy blood trail a buck thru a neighboring property on a chilly 37 degree November day. In 3 hours, I picked 58 ticks off of me. So I know there's a healthy population of ticks around.

But my acreage has no ticks. It's prime tick habitat, too. I maintain a variety of cover. Everything from mowed lawn to various food plots to high grasses to thick bedding cover and also fully mature forest. I've spent thousands of hours maintaining all aspects of my acreage year round so I'm in or around pretty much every nook and cranny on a somewhat regular basis.

In the 33 years I've lived here, never, not once, zero times, have I picked a single tick off me that came from my property. Even our spring spaniel, who was always in the weeds, ever had a tick on her from our property. I've shot hundreds of groundhogs here, same thing, no ticks. But the deer that I've handled that come and go on my property do have ticks, sometimes a few and sometimes a lot. So ticks are indeed transported thru my property but they don't set up home here.

Believe me, I'm not complaining about the situation and I assume that some day I'll run into some ticks on my place, but so far, there just aren't any. I have people tell me that it must just be me, and that ticks must not like my blood, or whatever. But if I venture off my place a few hundred yards, ticks do indeed climb aboard so I know it's not just "me" or my " inferior blood". My wife and I pick lots of raspberries on our place and she's never had a tick either.

Why is my property void of ticks while surrounding properties have a healthy population?
Any tick experts on this site that have any input on this?

You may may not have deer actually living on your property. Ticks luv a moist environment.

You said you maintain your property by mowing your yard etc.

Definitely sounds odd. I think I'd quit trying to figure it out and just sing praises to the heavens without ceasing and then continue to sing praises without ceasing. Everywhere I hunt is loaded with the little buck-toothed monsters and they all conspire to find my nuts.

Definitely sounds odd. I think I'd quit trying to figure it out and just sing praises to the heavens without ceasing and then continue to sing praises without ceasing. Everywhere I hunt is loaded with the little buck-toothed monsters and they all conspire to find my nuts.
It is always the nuts.

I went decades here in Michigan without getting a tick on me. Then in the last 5 years I've been getting 1-2 per year. I think it has more to do with me spending more time in the woods and places they want to be. When I went to NLP near Wolverine last year the ticks were so bad my BIL and I spend 10 minutes picking them off each other at our campsite. Never seen ticks that bad.

Joe, My property has just about every type of habitat. Yes I have 2 acres of mowed lawn, but I also have an additional 29 acres of, well, everything except a running stream or swamp. I have plenty of damp areas, thick cover, hinge cuts and deer are constantly (literally all the time) on my property. Beds, staging areas, transition areas, and plenty of food...deer in high numbers, too high of numbers are here, year round. They don't migrate elsewhere.

Nutterbuster, are you saying ticks like nut habitat? My property is loaded with hickory, walnut, and a fair amount of oaks.

d_rek, It's 100% not from any lack of me not being out and about over my property. And especially over the last decade. I'm having issues with some invasive plant species and I spent many hours crawling around on all fours in the thickest stuff hacking and squirting.

huck, I definitely ain't complaining. I do feel blessed that I don't live like some of the neighbors. One guy has tick on him after he cuts his grass with a riding mower. His feet don't touch the ground, but I guess the mower blows ticks airborne and they get on him?? IDK.

Here's an interesting article about Opossums and ticks. I do have a few possum running around.
http://www.caryinstitute.org/newsroom/opossums-killers-ticks
My late brother used to go out of his way to kill possum. He always claimed they were notorious nest robbers. He felt he was protecting the turkey and duck population...until hunting season...then shooting the nesters was no big deal. Hen turkey and hen ducks wasn't an issue to kill 'em...go figure.

I went decades here in Michigan without getting a tick on me. Then in the last 5 years I've been getting 1-2 per year. I think it has more to do with me spending more time in the woods and places they want to be. When I went to NLP near Wolverine last year the ticks were so bad my BIL and I spend 10 minutes picking them off each other at our campsite. Never seen ticks that bad.
I have the same experience here in Northern Michigan. Over 4 decades of bow hunting averaging 5-6 sits per week and never been bothered by a tick until the last couple of years. Two years ago I got up in the morning at camp, went out to relieve myself and discovered a tick on a VERY personal part of my anatomy. Managed to remove it with no issues other than the lingering PTSD:eek:.

Last year I came home from a weekend at camp and was wondering how I had managed to slice the crook of my elbow as it felt like there was a loose flap of skin there (my age induced close up vision wouldn't allow me to focus on it without my glasses). After the shower I discovered the loose flap of skin was a tick. That one had been there a while and exhibited the red ring so I had to undergo the preventative Lyme disease treatment.

20171029_163105.jpg 20171029_163119.jpg

@Tapeworm. Sure thing brother. Hope this helps.
16946c206ce09bd4cb49e3d218caf051.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yes, they like "nut habitat" and a warmer, damper climate, typically in the southern hemisphere. Tangled bushes are usually a hotspot. :grimacing:

Maybe a picture of the habitat would help his understanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We started discussing ticks in the thread about Ohio Hunting, and I thought I'd share something that I've been experiencing for a long time now...33 years to be exact, and I don't understand it and can't explain why.
My 31 acre property in SW Pa is in the middle of tick central. There's ticks pretty much all around my place.
A few years ago, I helped a buddy blood trail a buck thru a neighboring property on a chilly 37 degree November day. In 3 hours, I picked 58 ticks off of me. So I know there's a healthy population of ticks around.

But my acreage has no ticks. It's prime tick habitat, too. I maintain a variety of cover. Everything from mowed lawn to various food plots to high grasses to thick bedding cover and also fully mature forest. I've spent thousands of hours maintaining all aspects of my acreage year round so I'm in or around pretty much every nook and cranny on a somewhat regular basis.

In the 33 years I've lived here, never, not once, zero times, have I picked a single tick off me that came from my property. Even our spring spaniel, who was always in the weeds, ever had a tick on her from our property. I've shot hundreds of groundhogs here, same thing, no ticks. But the deer that I've handled that come and go on my property do have ticks, sometimes a few and sometimes a lot. So ticks are indeed transported thru my property but they don't set up home here.

Believe me, I'm not complaining about the situation and I assume that some day I'll run into some ticks on my place, but so far, there just aren't any. I have people tell me that it must just be me, and that ticks must not like my blood, or whatever. But if I venture off my place a few hundred yards, ticks do indeed climb aboard so I know it's not just "me" or my " inferior blood". My wife and I pick lots of raspberries on our place and she's never had a tick either.

Why is my property void of ticks while surrounding properties have a healthy population?
Any tick experts on this site that have any input on this?

I live in Butler county and hunt surrounding counties as well and Ohio and there are ticks any property I go. Some days worse then others and there are even days when I don’t pick up any. And I have had Lyme disease caught very early due to the rash fortunately. So that would be a mystery to me because possums, turkeys, quineas, you name it would not be able to eliminate the ticks. Any way it could be pesticides?

I live in Butler county and hunt surrounding counties as well and Ohio and there are ticks any property I go. Some days worse then others and there are even days when I don’t pick up any. And I have had Lyme disease caught very early due to the rash fortunately. So that would be a mystery to me because possums, turkeys, quineas, you name it would not be able to eliminate the ticks. Any way it could be pesticides?
The only pesticides that I use is permethrin and that's only on my house and barn. I've never treated any of my habitat with any sort of pesticide. Herbicides yes, pesticides no. There are no neighbors or any way I would be getting run off from pesticides.

I don't have a reason to believe my sizable turkey population is getting all the ticks, even though, like deer, the turkey are here 365 days a year.

I started this thread because the lack of ticks on my property is baffling to me.
I just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've spent I don't know how many hours in the woods my entire life and I can only remember getting maybe 10 ticks on me. With only 3 that I can remember attaching to me. I guess we just don't have that many in south Louisiana. Chiggers are a different story. Do you guys who live in areas that have lots of ticks have to get treated for Lyme disease? How do you know if you have Lyme disease? I don't know if I could stand living in a place that I had to worry about them nasty little boogers getting on me. And now that I've posted in this thread I'll probably get 10 tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I for sure got a nasty little tick bite this year in KY. Good news is I’m just allergic; Lyme is not prevalent in SC KY, so my infectious disease doc felt pretty sure I wouldn’t need a doxycycline run. I had some issues with antibiotics awhile back to avoiding them is best. But ALWAYS get opinions from your care providers. Lyme is nothing to mess with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in PA and it was pretty rare to see ticks from my recollection. I live in Indiana now and we won't even go in the woods in the spring on our hunting spots because the ticks are so bad.

Years ago, before we knew better, the wife and I took our dog on a 10 mile hike in one of the state forests during springtime. I'd never seen so many ticks in my whole lifetime combined as I did that day. We easily pulled 100 of the dog alone and were finding then for days afterwards crawling around the house and car.

There's a lot of scary stuff you can catch from them now even aside from Lyme's disease. There is even one kind, I think it's a lone star tick, whose bite can turn you allergic to meat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back