• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone here actually climbing with strap on steps?

gcr0003

SH Member
I know there are quite a few that use the WE stepps, but I’m talking about the single step jokers. I made wood blocks for climbing back when I hunted out of a lock on and could get 25 feet easy with 10. The straps I used took a while to mess with, but climbing was a breeze. That said, I wanted to see if anyone is actually climbing with the Ameristeps or any of their counterparts.61E1571A-585E-4C68-B3A3-7C0D99635B4F.png

Last edited:
I am. 5 squirrel steps and an aider. 5 on a ROS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do. I've got 10 strap on aluminum steps. Approximately 6.5lbs in carrying bag

I do. I've got 10 strap on aluminum steps. Approximately 6.5lbs in carrying bag
As you can tell from the photo I just added, the cam strap I am using is one that requires me to feed it through each time. What type of straps do the squirrel and ameristeps come with?

Been wanting to try out cranford rope steps or squirrel steps with ocb to see how I like them compared to sticks, the fiddle factor and speed is my only hesitation.

Been wanting to try out cranford rope steps or squirrel steps with ocb to see how I like them compared to sticks, the fiddle factor and speed is my only hesitation.
Cranford rope steps are a pita in my opinion and ocb straps are overkill. Cam/hook straps of an aluminum step work great and are pretty efficient time wise.

Cranford rope steps are a pita in my opinion and ocb straps are overkill. Cam/hook straps of an aluminum step work great and are pretty efficient time wise.

I’m willing to give that a try also, about 10 years ago before I found saddle hunting I had a dozen ameristeps I tried using with hang ons the trouble I found was I’d climb up and they would be tight coming back down not so much didn’t trust them at all so I just never revisited that method but I’m interested again.

I had gone from lw sticks to ameristeps, then to cranfords back in the day. Due to the amount of time and fiddle factor, and also when I found about molle shoulder straps and waist belt for my LW hang on, I then switched back to LW sticks, I haven’t looked back. They did pack up unto a small space, i could put them all in a fanny pack, but think about it, you have to setup 7-13 or so steps, each a separate hook up Vs 2 - 4 sticks. I have found I personally like to keep it simple. I also went from rope mods back to using buckle straps........ Just made up some 7/64" Amsteel Daisy chain's. These are so awesome.

Last edited:
I used eleven loggy bayou steps for most of the season this year. The fiddle factor is only an issue when leaving and it’s not that bad then. All of this state of the art climbing systems and I was pretty excited using my 15 year old technology.

Interesting way to climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Super light and easy to carry everything in a couple of fleece pouches. Eliminating the need to use/move tether eliminates a lot of the fiddle factor for me.

Back