• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone here do hydro dipping?

Black Titan

Been wanting to do my bow and some other various accessories. I've got my film picked out, base coat, activator, clear cost, etc. I know how to do all the prep.

The stabilizers will be easy enough, and possibly the quiver too.

What I'm wondering about is the bow. What's the best approach for actually dipping? Which angle can I submerge the riser in to make sure all the interior pieces of the riser get film on them? Talking about the parts within the riser in the pictures below.

Also pictured is the quiver. Not 100% sure about it.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_131110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_131110_Gallery.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231206_131117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_131117_Gallery.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20231206_131124_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_131124_Gallery.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20231206_131132_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_131132_Gallery.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20231205_190615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_190615_Chrome.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 32
Lots of ways you can dip each side and have a seem or u can dip it whole. YouTube had videos of both. Slow and thoughtful is the key

Lots of ways you can dip each side and have a seem or u can dip it whole. YouTube had videos of both. Slow and thoughtful is the key

I've tried finding videos on YouTube but only a couple of doing a bow, other than those ones where they spray the paint in a bucket and dip it in that way. The few videos I watched weren't very helpful, and the one showed a guy doing a riser in one dip, but there were alot of blank spots inside the riser surfaces exactly like the spots I'm concerned about.

I've read about doing the seam, ghost seam, taping off, etc. Does the pattern look continuous when using this method? I'm afraid my OCD will spot the change in pattern and hyper focus on it.

BT

I've tried finding videos on YouTube but only a couple of doing a bow, other than those ones where they spray the paint in a bucket and dip it in that way. The few videos I watched weren't very helpful, and the one showed a guy doing a riser in one dip, but there were alot of blank spots inside the riser surfaces exactly like the spots I'm concerned about.

I've read about doing the seam, ghost seam, taping off, etc. Does the pattern look continuous when using this method? I'm afraid my OCD will spot the change in pattern and hyper focus on it.

BT
No it will not unless u somehow match the patter. Once u get smart in dipping u can see some bow from big companies have seems and some don’t. Unless you’re looking for it you’d never see it.

No it will not unless u somehow match the patter. Once u get smart in dipping u can see some bow from big companies have seems and some don’t. Unless you’re looking for it you’d never see it.

I guess I'll get an extra sheet or two and use some to practice on my old diamond bow.

Do you think that rubberized material on the hexlight quiver will dip well?

BT

I guess I'll get an extra sheet or two and use some to practice on my old diamond bow.

Do you think that rubberized material on the hexlight quiver will dip well?

BT
Idk I’ve never dipped rubber I’d say it would depend on the prep and priming adhesion

Found this.

Nothing to add but please post your results when done!

If they're worthy of posting! Lol if it looks like garbage I may not be willing to share haha. I ordered my film, activator, base coat and clear coat today. It will likely be a few weeks with the holidays coming up and stuff.

BT

This was my best work single dip on a riser

You got any tricks for getting stickers off a riser and keeping them intact? My bow is an Elite Enkore with the SET tech and has stickers telling me which way to turn the bolts and what not. I doubt Elite will send me a new sticker set so I want to keep these in one piece so I can put them back on. I think masking them may prove a little difficult.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207_220304_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231207_220304_Gallery.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 13
You got any tricks for getting stickers off a riser and keeping them intact? My bow is an Elite Enkore with the SET tech and has stickers telling me which way to turn the bolts and what not. I doubt Elite will send me a new sticker set so I want to keep these in one piece so I can put them back on. I think masking them may prove a little difficult.

BT
No i don’t. I just dipped over them. I would tape off medallions though. I believe at one time one stringer used to make stickers but anymore if u have a cricket cutter u can make your own in about any design u want

No i don’t. I just dipped over them. I would tape off medallions though. I believe at one time one stringer used to make stickers b it anymore but f u have a cricket cutter u can make your own in about any design u want

Yeah I've used onestringer before with their limb vinyls. Good product. Never thought to see if they would have the set stickers. I'll check with them tomorrow and see. There is a medallion logo on the riser but I think it pops off. I'll have to wait and see.

BT

Yeah I've used onestringer before with their limb vinyls. Good product. Never thought to see if they would have the set stickers. I'll check with them tomorrow and see. There is a medallion logo on the riser but I think it pops off. I'll have to wait and see.

BT
Mask tape it off if It doesn’t pop off Easy peasy

Nothing to add but please post your results when done!

@thedutchtouch

i started with something small just to see how the process works. This was black. Used Biscuit color base coat and Realtree APG for the film.

now not sure I want this color on my bow or not. The design is a little.....big. And just a touch too light. I was expecting more of a tan background.

BT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_151604_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_151604_Gallery.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20231217_151613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_151613_Gallery.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 39
Back