• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone in Georgia want to go Elk Hunt?

Swampdonkey47

This is probably a long shot but is anyone down here in Georgia interested in doing a DIY OTC ELK Hunt? Looking for some likeminded folks who wanna go chase some elks out west . So far my huntin buddies say they wanna but won't commit or don't want that much adventure . So that brings me here . I'm talking about road tripping out there , backpacking up some mountains and having the most fun we possibly can hunting.

This is also a post to find more reliable diehard hunting friends who are near by I live in Atlanta and drive all over to fish and hunt. Who wants to go?
IMG_6526.PNG

I've been tossing around such an idea as well, but I'm no where near georgia.

I been planning to go for a couple years. Slowly getting all my gear to mountain hunt and spike tent camp. I’m right next door near Birmingham. I’m only interested in early bow season. I want to go scout this summer and backpack so I’m not going in blind opening weekend. And I have a better idea of what I need for the hunt. I might already have something lined up with someone else but I’m interested Incase things fall through.

I have a buddy who loves in Denver and he originally had a nice tent and all the fixings. He had since down sized to a bivy style tent with open ground and sleeps on a pad. I would travel light and spend the money on a good pack. Expect about 1.25-1.50 pounds of food per day as well.

I'd love to go but I'm in Wisconsin. I'm looking to meeting up with my buddy in 2 years for an archery elk hunt. Going to be making my equipment over the next year or so.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You might want to post on GON forum in Ga also. I lived in Cumming for 18years before moving to Texas in late 2016. Elk hunted every year in Colorado since 05 with my bow, one of my buddies lives in Cumming and goes also. Dont wait, go alone if you have, too. Serious elk hunting buddies are hard to find, but they exist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I live in Ga. The OTC hunt is a good idea but I’m building points to hopefully have a better chance at a trophy. I typically fly. I don’t have enough time off to waste days traveling. If you have two other guys you can be hunting in Colorado in a little over a day.

I have a buddy who loves in Denver and he originally had a nice tent and all the fixings. He had since down sized to a bivy style tent with open ground and sleeps on a pad. I would travel light and spend the money on a good pack. Expect about 1.25-1.50 pounds of food per day as well.

I'd love to go but I'm in Wisconsin. I'm looking to meeting up with my buddy in 2 years for an archery elk hunt. Going to be making my equipment over the next year or so.

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm just getting in to building up my equipment stash...have a tent (floorless, with wood stove, gonna serve a lotta roles for now) arriving on Friday and gonna give it the MN -10 test over the weekend.

I'm looking into the hammock with topquilt and underquilt. Researching using primaloft gold for it now. Also looking into the winter tarp setup as well. I know it is a little heavier than a normal tarp but more versatile.

I'm looking into the hammock with topquilt and underquilt. Researching using primaloft gold for it now. Also looking into the winter tarp setup as well. I know it is a little heavier than a normal tarp but more versatile.

I feel like i may end up going that direction at some point, but wanted to expand the season and comfort for camping with my wife first (plus have a good bad weather go to).

A couple of us down here in Louisiana have been tossing around the idea of a DIY elk/mule deer hunt since last summer. Where are you on putting something together? When and where etc?

As far as a plan I was thinking about Colorado, it's the closest and I can go out there for work & scout. I can probably get some good info from friends that live out there too. Had an invite to hunt on some private but it's kinda in the air on the other side so I'm just trying to make it happen on public . Life goes quickly and when you "next year" things before you know it you could have already done it. I would like to go for Archery but I'm open to rifle hunt as well . , gear wise I'm there minus some coolers . I think a week would be a good amount to drive out hunt and come back, and I'm pretty flexible with the schedule I just have to put in the calendar for time off to get my shifts covered.
It would be sweet to get a group that wants to go yearly and try other states too.

I'm interested. I live in Decatur. I'm mainly an archery hunter, so early season for me. I'm already planning on Idaho this year. But its always good to meet new folks.
Not far at all , I'm probably 15-20 away near Grant Park. If you have some free time let me know I'll come meet up.

Colorado Is on top of our list. The availability of OTC tags and amount of public land makes it appealing for the DIY hunt. We would prefer the September archery season.
Colorado dropped bear tags to $100 this year, I strongly suggest those going get one. The majority of bears out there are colorphase, bear of a lifetime for most. Some big blacks out there too.
eed60de05ff14dc7add8cbd70f08ec73.jpg
e2750db632950dbb03f66c4ad0266391.jpg
91199982f52830d9742e248b623cd144.jpg
01f889fa7141684bde4d659e42ab71f6.jpg
24485494a638e125e0ce7eb0985091f6.jpg
c65478ba1e28b6d08ce6eefd00f2813d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back