• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone seeing chasing already?

Plebe

SH Member
On my way home from walking the dogs, I had a great buck cross the road a few doors down from my house and he was zig zagging behind a small doe.

I usually see a couple nice bucks around the house in Dec/Jan, and most Halloweens but this is the earliest I’ve seen a good one, and probably the earliest chasing I’ve witnessed. I know it happens, just wondering whats going on across the board In your neck of the woods.

I’m in WNY.

Yes, I own a few wooded huntable acres, but don’t hunt it as it’s my neighborhood…as tempted as I am to grab my bow right now…I’m confident he’s headed this way.

Haven't seen them chasing yet here in OH but shot my buck over a big scrape. They are hitting the scrapes regularly. I guess I won't see him chasing now !

On my way home from walking the dogs, I had a great buck cross the road a few doors down from my house and he was zig zagging behind a small doe.

I usually see a couple nice bucks around the house in Dec/Jan, and most Halloweens but this is the earliest I’ve seen a good one, and probably the earliest chasing I’ve witnessed. I know it happens, just wondering whats going on across the board In your neck of the woods.

I’m in WNY.

Yes, I own a few wooded huntable acres, but don’t hunt it as it’s my neighborhood…as tempted as I am to grab my bow right now…I’m confident he’s headed this way.
I'm in northwest Pa, I have seen 1.5 year old bucks chasing. The 2.5-year-olds are starting to hit scrapes regularly.

I'm not sure what the true definition of chasing is, or if what I saw was aggressive enough to count, but the buck I shot Tuesday was following a doe closely enough that she got annoyed and ran off. Thankfully he took a few steps before following and I was able to cut his journey short.

On opening morning, two nice bucks together passed behind me within 25yds in a thicket. I haven’t been able to get out since.

Then this past Saturday, my brother got video of three decent 8pt bucks fighting near a community scrape. I think they were all nice 2.5yr old bucks.

The one I saw today was definitely mature. Would probably be my biggest deer.

Saw chasing 3/4 days since my last hunt, some light sparring…
Does seem to be having none of it yet. Seems about right as far as annual timing. Maybe a week early if at all.

I'm not sure what the true definition of chasing is, or if what I saw was aggressive enough to count, but the buck I shot Tuesday was following a doe closely enough that she got annoyed and ran off. Thankfully he took a few steps before following and I was able to cut his journey short.

Makes sense, he's a nice buck, the sort who'd be up to no good.

I generally see chasing as a zig zagging trot behind a doe during which the buck seems to sort of try to corral a doe or does, or an all out frenzied running hot pursuit that tends to go in big circles.

When I see a buck walk up and bump a doe's backside with his nose, I consider that seeking.

Makes sense, he's a nice buck, the sort who'd be up to no good.

I generally see chasing as a zig zagging trot behind a doe during which the buck seems to sort of try to corral a doe or does, or an all out frenzied running hot pursuit that tends to go in big circles.

When I see a buck walk up and bump a doe's backside with his nose, I consider that seeking.
Ah yeah forgot about the seeking stage. I think this was definitely seeking then

1.5-2.5 YO bucks in Cherokee County SC have been sparring heavily and running does around regularly for the last 6 days on my cameras. All at night. My doe pics have been steadily decreasing as well. This usually happens when the rut starts to kick off in SC . Last week of October in my area is prime time.

I just changed my vacation time for last week of October first week of November hear in eastern Ky that's the best time! That's when I start seeing road kills all over.

Last edited:
I just changed my vacation time for last week of October first week of November hear in eastern Ky that's the best time! That's when I start seeing road kills all over.
Seeing any EHD in your area this year? Nelson county must have quite a bit.

Seeing any EHD in your area this year? Nelson county must have quite a bit.
No we had it bad a few years ago not seeing as many deer! I killed a doe it looked ok! I'm going to WV for the rut hunt on 600 acre farm we don't see as many deer there as we did before the EHD out break a few years ago. I'm not far from WV it hit pretty hard in north Eastern Ky and on the border of WV back then.

I’ve not witnessed any chasing or seeking yet this year but sometimes some does go into heat a bit earlier which I think creates some chasing. It reminds me of second peak December chasing/ dogging but not to the intensity of rut chasing.

Haven’t seen chasing yet but I am seeing bucks moving in daylight. Only had one in the half hour before/after too, several in the 9-10 am and then 4:30-6 evening time. I came home after my sit tonight and put in more time off requests for the next few weeks.

Back