• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone use this type of aider?

Ryka1987

I like the cayg aider method but i want a good multi-step. has anyone ever used the edelrid aid climber? or can you recommend one that is at least 2 steps? i want to go 3 heliums and 1 cayg aider. 26876D0E-D80D-4325-843F-F068C9413486.jpeg

The problem with that type of aider is there's not much to hold it open. When you put weight in the lower steps. the steps above close, not leaving much room to get your foot into.

The problem with that type of aider is there's not much to hold it open. When you put weight in the lower steps. the steps above close, not leaving much room to get your foot into.
i can see why the etrier makes more sense when you put it that way.

This exactly. All is well with a ladder style aider until you try to sneak your boot into the top step and it is shut like a clam.

The CAYG DIY aider I made works well enough that I no longer even think about making another.
They are pretty easy to make if you have the desire; mine is sewn but can be made with knots if you take your time and ensure you measured it correctly. The part about DIY aiders is ensuring you have exactly even spacing or it can be a strange experience coming down in the dark because for one (or more) steps you will keep reaching with that leg searching...

Mine has a single length of 1" tubular nylon running down the middle with (3) steps sewn to the sides in alternating fashion. Each step has a small (~2") piece of 1" flat nylon sewn into the UPPER portion of the step to keep the opening wide enough for my 13 boots and a length of 1" flat webbing sewn on the step itself as a stiffener. This foot piece extends up both sides of the step a little bit - that last part makes all the difference for me in keeping the step open. Because it is all webbing with no internal rope or other 'stiffener' it folds together nicely for packing.

My top step is a couple inches shorter than the bottom two steps to account for the placement on a WEI step because I use a hook from an old ratchet strap to attach it to the step I am climbing. I also have a length of 550 cord attached to the hook with a loop on the end so I can run my saddle belt through it; it cannot fall. When I install my next step I just pull up on the 550 cord and it lifts right off the step I am standing on. I have honestly NEVER had an issue at all with this aider.

You could easily make one to attach to any stick or step, there are lots of options. If I made one for sticks I would attach with a loop on either the versa button or preferably to the top of the stick if there is an part that protrudes vertically. It would be really easy to pull up for use on the next stick.

I would take a picture and post it but I am writing this while on a business trip in Amman, Jordan -- during dadgum archery season.

I have a three step webbing aider from backwoodsmobilegear.com. It hangs from my verse button and I move it up as I go. The steps are semi rigid so they stay open. The system works well for climbing, but descending (especially after dusk) can be tricky, so I rappel down.

what method do you use and do you get 20' up? that's all i want and to stay light because i go deep in the woods.
Yes 20’ is about what I set up for using my pull up rope as a guide. Lower in early season, higher as leaves drop.
I climb with a little of everything. I’m not sure if your rappelling or not.
longer hikes I think about my bag more than my climbing method.
this is my 2nd season in a saddle so read up on feedback from guys with years on the forum that have tried it all.
You might consider a ultimate aider to stretch out your bottom stick only , figure out step distance and give the option of selling or one sticking down the road.

Back