• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone using a Bike for access

Duramaxlbz

I am looking into getting a mountain bike to access some of my farther walk areas. Anyone have any input or experience? Obviously I wouldn’t be riding it all the way to my tree but just to get me closer quicker. I hunt MD so terrian isnt terrible to bike.

More and more states are making them, especially motorized ebikes, illegal on many WMAs. Always check your regs as they are now wording things like "foot traffic only" or "walk in area only" to many regulations.

I used a bike to go in 3 miles on an Ohio State Forest for a few years. I would walk my gear in at the beginning of the week and ride in the rest of the days. I actually found that I sweated a lot more when I biked in. It was somewhat quicker but not a lot quicker. This was a hilly area so it might be better in a flatter area. I am thinking about trying it again this year but I will be strapping my camping gear to it and pushing it a lot of the way kind of like the North Vietnamese hauling supplies on bikes down the Ho Chi Minh trail(which was definitely mountainous). I hunt in the blue ridge mountains most of the time. If you have knee issues then biking is probably a much better way to go. I also think the quality of the bike will make a big difference. Let us know how it works out for you.

i have used a bike, not that often last year. I have ATV rack on the handle bars that fit either my lone wolf stick or my gun or bow. I have a basket on the back for my bag or the Guido's web. I usually leave a big gator-aid (unopened in it when i get to my path (locked to a tree). It was actually my wife's bike (Girl frame)..since she wasn't using it and i didn't want to have to lift my leg over the bar and its green ..seemed to be a fit. (she wasn't happy about it). On electric bikes (if you go this route). There are two types..ones that assist while pedaling (considered a bike) and ones that move when you turn the accelerator(considered to be a motorcycle by FWC in Florida).

I am looking into getting a mountain bike to access some of my farther walk areas. Anyone have any input or experience? Obviously I wouldn’t be riding it all the way to my tree but just to get me closer quicker. I hunt MD so terrian isnt terrible to bike.

Most of the public land we hunt (Maryland) have bike trails in them. The small group I hunt with are mountain bikers also. We use them to get back further faster. Camo it and ditch it. Walk the rest of the way.

I have used my mtb for turkeys alot, but not as much for deer simply due to the places I hunt. The quality of the bike makes all the difference in the world for comfort and ease of climbing hills. I have over $4k in my bike, so I always lock it to a tree and never go too far away from it. There are agencies blocking all bikes in some states due to ignorance and lack of understanding on standard bikes vs ebikes and the damages caused by each. They are applying a one size fits all rule with no thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Most of the public land we hunt (Maryland) have bike trails in them. The small group I hunt with are mountain bikers also. We use them to get back further faster. Camo it and ditch it. Walk the rest of the way.
What part of Maryland are you from

We used them a lot on public land down in Chesapeake, VA. Now that im in TN and hunting the mountains, not so much!

Attachments

• 1913911_1195628409139_1257851_n.jpg
    1913911_1195628409139_1257851_n.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 1913911_1195628449140_7329456_n.jpg
    1913911_1195628449140_7329456_n.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 1913911_1195628489141_2353751_n.jpg
    1913911_1195628489141_2353751_n.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 35
I’ll be using an ebike on mostly private land this coming year just for the stealth factor and the ability to get places faster. I’ll use it on public land when allowed out of state but can’t use it here on public unless I pedal it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to have a Rambo - but currently I just do not have any land I can legally use them on. Last weekend I walked 2.5 miles in on an old farm road - sure would have been nice to have had a bike - especially since I road ride every year and am in bike shape most of the year.

I’ll be using an eBike to retrieve deer next season, and if It’s permitted; some turkey hunting on public land in MD.

I plan on adding a bike as an access tool for this upcoming season. I have one particular spot in mind that would allow me to access using a paved bike trail that runs through a piece of state land, this trail does not have vehicle parking so the bike would allow me to circle around from the hunting access lot and come in from a direction that the deer are not used to seeing regularly. This also should work well on certain winds for several beds I’ve found post season scouting. I actually plan on coupling the bike with an inflatable kayak to get to one particular spot.

I use a an old Specialized downhill racing Mt bike to go most of the way about 1.75 miles- ebikes are not legal here in NY Adirondack Park, probably a good thing as @redsquirrel brought to my attention in another thread(ebikes easier access = more hunter pressure). I'm working with my nephew making a DIY aluminum bike trailer that can be converted to a deer cart by adding another handle...definitely adding four wheels on a pivot for going over logs( the trail in is pretty wet with logs in the water holes). I'll post a picture when finished with it.... he's busy this time of year slow going so far!

Back