• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anyone using the HALFLINE system by NY Saddle Hunter or JRB SRT on the fly this SeAsoN?

Kevin2

I originally tried a version of this using the JRB system, using both JRB Ascender hitches and then finding that the Longhorn Agile Hitch were better for me. After stumbling onto the NY Saddle Hunter page and seeing their version, the HALFLINE System, I ordered a CT Quick Roll thinking I'd like to use it conjunction with the Longhorn Agile Hitch VS Sterling's F4 Descent device. Used that set up practicing a couple times now, and it is easier for me for sure. The handle and slick micro pully on the CT really helped.

The Longhorn Agile Hitch was nice too, but wondering how much better using the F4 would be VS the Longhorn Agile? Wondering if anyone has tried both versions by JRB and NY SH?

I ended up incorporating a footloop attached to the CT quick Roll like this video AND found it easier for me VS how Scott shows it in his introduction video below "The HALFLINE Mobile Climbing System". I basically have 3 parts of different versions from all of these guys. WOrkinG for me!

Foot Loop I used

CR Quick Roll and Halfline

I'm likely not strong enough anymore to enjoy going full JRB SRT on the fly "halfline" system like this at the 3:30 mark as described by John, but adding that CT Quick Roll really made it nice.
LongHorn Agile I'm using for tending

I've not used the JRB methods yet, but I've been playing with the Halfline system a little in the back yard. I'm trying a combination of presets and one-sticking this year.
The F4 is interesting. I'm still on the fence about it. I like the simplicity and lack of failure components. It tends pretty easy - not as easy as the Madrock Safeguard or other mechanical ascender (hand ascender, Kong, etc), but it is a lot easier than any of the friction hitches I've tried so far (prusik, Blake's, etc).
A couple of things I do not like about the F4.... It can rattle unless you put a small piece of electrical tape on the handle or put weight into it.
When you're done, you have to thread the whole rope back through it to get it back up to the quicklink end - takes an extra minute or so. And you always have to start at the tail end and pull the whole rope through it, unless you are undoing the scaffold knot.
When Scott says to hold onto the brake end when you squeeze, make sure you have a good grip on it. It breaks tension and runs almost free through the F4 when you squeeze it. This can be both good and bad... Bad if you're not expecting it, good if you want to rappel FAST.
Speaking of rappelling fast - one other thing I do not like is that the way the rope threads through the device and runs along the inside of your palm when you grip the F4. I fast-roped down without gloves and didn't realize the rope burn until I was on the ground.
20230821_182809.jpg

OK, that really helps. THat hand injury looks nasty. I did a video of my 1st attempts at the JRB version of this system, and I should do one of the combo system I've put together. The autotending of the Longhorn Agile Hitch is pretty good AND that allows me to easily repel down using a Munter Friction hitch via the JRB 2nd bridge. That 2nd bridge is worth adding, I'll link it below from JRB channel. The Munter is light years better repelling down VS any mechical device I've used, both Madrock and Gri Gri.

I'm currently using Johns 1st 2nd bridge he has on his channel, here, but he has an update I'll list below too AND it looks cleaver as well.

JRB Double Adjustable Bridge Design, version 1

I've not used the JRB methods yet, but I've been playing with the Halfline system a little in the back yard. I'm trying a combination of presets and one-sticking this year.
The F4 is interesting. I'm still on the fence about it. I like the simplicity and lack of failure components. It tends pretty easy - not as easy as the Madrock Safeguard or other mechanical ascender (hand ascender, Kong, etc), but it is a lot easier than any of the friction hitches I've tried so far (prusik, Blake's, etc).
A couple of things I do not like about the F4.... It can rattle unless you put a small piece of electrical tape on the handle or put weight into it.
When you're done, you have to thread the whole rope back through it to get it back up to the quicklink end - takes an extra minute or so. And you always have to start at the tail end and pull the whole rope through it, unless you are undoing the scaffold knot.
When Scott says to hold onto the brake end when you squeeze, make sure you have a good grip on it. It breaks tension and runs almost free through the F4 when you squeeze it. This can be both good and bad... Bad if you're not expecting it, good if you want to rappel FAST.
Speaking of rappelling fast - one other thing I do not like is that the way the rope threads through the device and runs along the inside of your palm when you grip the F4. I fast-roped down without gloves and didn't realize the rope burn until I was on the ground.
View attachment 89329

I use srt with jrb compact ascender and caribiners. I use paracord sets and one stick to access the trees. Also designed my own double foot loop and used his double caribiner set up and it works great.The less metal the better in my opinion. The maverick hitch works really well for me! Use the jrb ascender for my adjustable saddle bridge and lineman rope. No more rope man. just 3 caribiners and 1 more for a back up.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I agree on less metal. I got the CT Roll only because I didn't have the strength to do it fast enough AND it was taxing. I'm likely going to stick with the LongHorn VS adding the gri gri OR F4.
I added my own footloop design, which worded to test things out, but I'm ordering a adjustable footloop, the Amsteel Elevaider SS Delux, from the Amsteel guy that is 60 inches long and adjusts shorter as needed on the fly. I used these last year on my JRB Hitch climbing 1 sticking set up.

I use srt with jrb compact ascender and caribiners. I use paracord sets and one stick to access the trees. Also designed my own double foot loop and used his double caribiner set up and it works great.The less metal the better in my opinion. The maverick hitch works really well for me! Use the jrb ascender for my adjustable saddle bridge and lineman rope. No more rope man. just 3 caribiners and 1 more for a back up.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I already had the rope, madrock safeguard, and enough accessory cord to make a longhorn agile hitch. I set a preset in a tree in my yard. I’m using the longhorn agile in place of the CT hand ascender and the safeguard in place of the F4. Works very well. The plan (as of now) is to one stick as normal for no presets and leave one of the spot is good or use the halfline in a preset. I do need to practice more setting my pursuit platform and Bullman steps on a preset tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been practicing with that system in my yard, but using a gri gri instead of the F4 because I already had it. I have the ability to preset as much as I want so I am planning on selling my one stick because everything about this system seems better for me. I made a woopie foot loop out of amsteel but probably going to try and find something made out of webbing so its a little thicker. I look into the Longhorn so I have it in my back pocket but I like the simplicity of the mechanical and rope system. Now if I could just find a madrock I would probably switch out my gri gri.

Oddly, I find the Longhorn and JRB Ascenders in use to be way more simple. Hooking the Munter Friction Hitch up to repel is also a breeze. The Munter is simple, essentially free because you use an existing carabiner you already likely have in your pocket too. My Gri Gri and then my Madrock were a pain to repel. Rain complicated it too. Here is JRB showing the Munter in action.

3:00 mark for the demo

I have been practicing with that system in my yard, but using a gri gri instead of the F4 because I already had it. I have the ability to preset as much as I want so I am planning on selling my one stick because everything about this system seems better for me. I made a woopie foot loop out of amsteel but probably going to try and find something made out of webbing so its a little thicker. I look into the Longhorn so I have it in my back pocket but I like the simplicity of the mechanical and rope system. Now if I could just find a madrock I would probably switch out my gri gri.

It’s too late in the game for me this season, but the youtube algorithms have hit me with this stuff and I think I’m going to dive in to one of the methods in 2024, these guys keep evolving it to seem more and more appealing.

After watching the YouTube and thinking I had everything but the f4 I used what I had and substituted a Madrock for the f4 . The rope mod was easy to make and using the preset for half the length saves weight. So far I’ll be using this system this season along with one stick where I have no limbs or forks.

I was practicing this today with Madrock at Kong Futura... more than feasible. I like it for some big trees I have that I won't want to one stick.

Pretty much my set up, but I also added a LWCG Crossover climber too. SOld both of my trusty Lone WOlf hand Climbers to fund it! I only used my hand climber once since turning to 1 sticking a few years ago, and it felt like I had 3 treestands on my back going in! Was happy to sell them! Hoping this new one being 7lbs lighter in all will be a good addition.
After watching the YouTube and thinking I had everything but the f4 I used what I had and substituted a Madrock for the f4 . The rope mod was easy to make and using the preset for half the length saves weight. So far I’ll be using this system this season along with one stick where I have no limbs or forks.

The Kong Futura looks sweet, half the weight of the Quick Roll too.
I was practicing this today with Madrock at Kong Futura... more than feasible. I like it for some big trees I have that I won't want to one stick.

Also wanted to share a bit of info and see if anyone had feed back, but with this halfline method of girth hitching the rope to the tree, I have been experimenting with using a screw in step I had laying around and using that as my "limb" to loop my paracord around. then when I girthhitch It is around the trunk instead of a limb allowing me to using this SRT method to climb trees that don't have good limbs as long as I can preset.

A person could probably get away with a single screw in at height... just saying

SRT climbing system for this year. Similar to the halfline system but with a different ascender ... the CRIC. It's like Climbing Technology read my mind and made the CRIC for this exact reason. Weighs less and has a large built in pulley.

Total weight 2 lbs.

Also don't get hung up on 8 mm rope vs 9 mm rope. 40' of 9 mm C-IV Canyon rope with a Safeguard weighs the same as 40' of Oplux with an F4. The Safeguard weighs less than the F4 making up the difference in the weight of the ropes. The Oplux package is more compact.

Get out there and climb trees with ropes like the Arborist do everyday. It's much safer.

PXL_20230825_163836023.jpg

I ended up buying another safeguard! I want to see if it is smoother than using my JRB longhorn agile hitch. I’ll likely keep my Longhorn agile in my pocket for repelling on a Munter, but I’m hoping going up the tree is gonna be smoother with the safeguard. Looks smoother in the videos.

That is the second ascender that weighs less, but I just can’t use it. I got the quick roll because I can grab it, which really helps my feeble body out!
SRT climbing system for this year. Similar to the halfline system but with a different ascender ... the CRIC.

SRT climbing system for this year. Similar to the halfline system but with a different ascender ... the CRIC. It's like Climbing Technology read my mind and made the CRIC for this exact reason. Weighs less and has a large built in pulley.

Total weight 2 lbs.

Also don't get hung up on 8 mm rope vs 9 mm rope. 40' of 9 mm C-IV Canyon rope with a Safeguard weighs the same as 40' of Oplux with an F4. The Safeguard weighs less than the F4 making up the difference in the weight of the ropes. The Oplux package is more compact.

Get out there and climb trees with ropes like the Arborist do everyday. It's much safer.

View attachment 89526
How are you using the rap ring? Do you just feed the tail through the ring and pull it through to choke the tree/ limb?

Also how are you rappelling? That CRIC looks pretty sweet. Do you have to take it off the rope when it's time to come down or am I missing something?

I believe he is using the CRIC in place of the CT Quickroll ascender. I'm using a Kong Futura instead of the CT Quickroll myself, since I had it already. I just remove it and rappel using the F4.

Back